McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

What insurance companies do you guys use that cover track days. Ideally, I'd like a regular insurance company where I can get coverage for a bunch of days a year. I suspect that might not work out as I suspect many of the big companies won't cover track days.

If that doesn't work, do you guys have any boutique companies that offer good rates on per event or yearly basis?

Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[snide remark mode]

The best track day insurance I've found is renting out the entire track on non open-lapping days. It clears the track of all the ass-clowns that account for most of the risk of scratched carbon fiber.

[returning to normal mode]

·
Registered
367 Posts
No such insurance exists per every agent I've ever asked. Do you know any specifics? I think what the agents meant was it would be prohibitively expensive. And if you're worried about the $250k car, you've presumably already got the cage, HANS system, helmet, and harness for your priceless noggin...

Side note: My umbrella policy, which is dirt cheap, might cover me if I hit someone else.

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is a bit of a dicey subject to a friend I have in the insurance industry. Purpose built race cars can get insurance but not the type you think. And it's an expensive proposition. However most I know that track expensive cars can basically call the dealer as they crawl out of the wreckage. So it's self-insurance. One more item, and we are all far too fine a collection of gentlemen to consider this; but I've heard of some unsavory types getting some insurance money on track damage claiming it occurred on the road. While they were inside delivering toys to the needy, no doubt.

Interestingly, insurance on PWC, quads and snowmobiles is easy to get, easy to claim and very inexpensive. Yet most, if not all, of my seat time in those conveyances involves activities that would be considered, at best, "tracking" at worst hooliganism. Yet Progressive let's you get ORV insurance after a few questions online. Not that I would use that particular company.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've wrecked a few of the above whilst in sport mode, if you get my drift. I just make sure to heat gun off the number plate.

Arctic Cat, makes a sled that is indistinguishable from what a pro races, including sponsor stickers. You can insure it for under $1500. Imagine if you have a car in full race livery and you bring it (or tow it) to an adjuster?

I realize full well that you can't compare a $20k ORV to a $300k car in terms of cost to replace. But there is a blind spot there when talking about track days in road cars.

But as was said, a personal liability umbrella policy is mandatory when you have flashy toys. Deep pockets and all that. Lawyers salivate at the thought of Ma and Pa kettle getting into a traffic accident with a prick driving a supercar. IMHO, of course.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
There are track days where you learn a track or how to drive your dd a little better - can't see anything major happening on those days if your careful.

But once you get to the point of pushing a car or yourself to the limit get a track car.

I agree with Ergo - always wear the gear but if your car isn't capable of keeping you safe the last thing anyone should worry about is auto insurance. I would rather rely on how the car and I are prepared vs some piece of paper open to interpretation.

John - I know guys that have claimed it on their regular car insurance policy.

You can probably get away with it once. But when you start asking these questions I suggest you start searching for a track car that you won't care if you wreck and more importantly walk away from .

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Walt its far too risky to try and claim in this country!! The insurance companies have teams that seach the net for Photos of crashed cars,there will always be one picture somewhere,these companies then share the photos with each other,and then when a claim comes in they Sue for fraud,which is far more expensive than the original claim.Scary stuff and your friends have bee lucky,but it might help with your part of the world being so bloody big !! :)
And your car is not the inconspicuous ,look at when G-FORCE had a problem,we knew in a matter of hours.

·
owner
227 Posts
Walt its far too risky to try and claim in this country!! The insurance companies have teams that seach the net for Photos of crashed cars,there will always be one picture somewhere,these companies then share the photos with each other,and then when a claim comes in they Sue for fraud,which is far more expensive than the original claim.Scary stuff and your friends have bee lucky,but it might help with your part of the world being so bloody big !! :)
And your car is not the inconspicuous ,look at when G-FORCE had a problem,we knew in a matter of hours.
what problem are you referring to?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
what problem are you referring to?
Yes Sorry G-force,it was a long time ago,my mistake :eek:,it was Gripforce,NOT the insurance situation,more that fact that it becomes common knowledge very quickly,my apologises to all ....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Champ/Guys. I think I may be leaning towards a track car at some point in the not too distant future. Per your good advice.

That said, the guys at Monticello have a company they've recommended. I think the owner is a member of the track. I haven't called them, but they seem to insure for higher amounts than the other track day insurers.

http://haydenwood.com/hwimotors/

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Good decision on a dedicated track car. Any street car will never be a great track car. It can be a decent DE car but it won't be a true race car. You can mod the heck out of it but it will always be a compromised set up. I did that with my NSX and my GT3 before I wised up.

My track car is a Spec Miata. 115 RWHP and 2089 lbs. It's a great way to learn a new sport and to push yourself. If that is too wimpy for you then get a Spec Boxster!

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Good decision on a dedicated track car. Any street car will never be a great track car. It can be a decent DE car but it won't be a true race car. You can mod the heck out of it but it will always be a compromised set up. I did that with my NSX and my GT3 before I wised up.

My track car is a Spec Miata. 115 RWHP and 2089 lbs. It's a great way to learn a new sport and to push yourself. If that is too wimpy for you then get a Spec Boxster!
Very true words Ritesh.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts

Or a 360 Challenge Car :)

I agree either way - be safe and enjoy it as a sport.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
A 360 Challenge is a great track car BUT IMHO not a great way to get into a new sport. Based on your previous posts I am guessing you have extensive track experience. A Spec Miata(SM) or something equally forgiving and disposable is the best way to start. I'm sure learning the limits on a 360 isn't easy and can be quite expensive. A decent 96-98 SM costs $8-10K. Good condition used transmissions are $750, Brand new engines - $2000.

I recently had a new Clutch, clutch master cylinder and brake cylinder installed by somebody for $710. That includes new parts!!

Like I said a street car can be a decent DE car but it will never really be a true Track day car. You can't have a Rollcage, 6 point restraints, Hoosiers and run -3.0 camber on your street car. The goal of a race car is to have fun and get the best lap time possible. To do that your track car has to be completely disposable. You should be mentally comfortable with the fact that you might end up in the wall any given wknd, walk away(thanks to rollcage, HANS), call a tow truck and order your next car by that evening. That is something a newbie at the track doesn't quite understand. They have grandiose ideas that their new GT3 is the greatest or the their new GTR or 12C or ....well you never see Ferrari's so I won't mention them:D

BTW - This is my little girly Miata. I lapped, I repeat LAPPED a Beautiful 993 with GT1 emblem at a Porsche club event last month. The 993 driver was bragging that it had ~ 500 HP and that my girly car shouldn't be allowed at such an Exotic car GTG.:D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I have only tracked my 612 then the 16M followed by the 360C. Started off stupid and stayed there :) I started building a race Healey 7 years ago it's still sitting :(

You are 100% correct - once you enter a track be willing to leave it on the track. .

I will never race without a coach in practice sessions so I think it's worth mentioning especially to those 500hp plus guys that a coach for 1500.00 a day is the least expensive insurance out there. Even a half day and splitting the costs with someone is fine but no coach and no headset IMO is asking for trouble for the inexperienced.

Things happen fast - and not knowing how to react will get you in a lot of trouble.

Hopefully the Porsche guy learned a lesson and shook your hand - well done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Great Pic. 360C's are relatively inexpensive to buy BUT how are they from maintenance standpoint? Clutch? Tranny? Brakes? Engine out service?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts