McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove my 12C at Circuit of the Americas(the US F1 circuit) last weekend. The track was quite wet and a bit slick since it is basically brand new. We were the 1st DE organization on the track so the track stewards were quite nervous. They limited passing even in the advanced run groups to straights. The combination of wet roads and new track that is quite technical was challenging yet quite fun.

My car is stock with upgraded brake fluid.

http://youtu.be/D0AM5lX1GWk

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HOLY CRAP - Pics are a bit too big. SORRY!:eek:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ritesh
We will be there for three days soon (feb 1-3). I'm taking my 12c and FGT, can't wait. Hope it doesn't rain tho', when I tracked my Mac a few weeks ago in pouring rain I was amazed at how different the handling was - the rear end stayed planted but the fronts were just skating around and pushing big- time

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
I drove my 12C at Circuit of the Americas(the US F1 circuit) last weekend..
Nice share, glad you were able to have a fun (and safe) time! Did you trailer the 12C down to ATX from N. Texas, or drive it down (as you did over the summer)?

It indeed was quite a messy weekend, FWIRC...
We will be there for three days soon (feb 1-3). I'm taking my 12c and FGT, can't wait...
I can't wait either, ha! I'm planning to trek down & observe. I'll be coming back from the frozen tundra of the upper mid-west, I look forward to crossing paths again w/ you & others again.

I believe the weather will be fair & decent, namely- dry for the surfaces & cool for the blowers! :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My Impressions:

1. The track facility is very very impressive and being on the actual F1 track is AWESOME but... the track design isn't great. It doesn't flow well. long straights followed by 2 technical sections. It seems to lack rhythm. Maybe I just need more laps to get comfortable at it.

2. Wet day and limited passing made for a challenging day. The stewards were watching us closely on 40 or so CCTV's. We were told over and over again that we cannot haveANY off track incidents. The DE organization wanted to do everything possible to make sure that COTA was happy with us since that would decide if COTA would host other organizations.

3. Watching my lap - I really need to up my game. Then again - this is my 1st time at the track and I was being fairly careful.

This is a fast lap at the track. My friend Corey in a ZR1 with Michilen Slicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnA_gNzVyLc

·
Registered
313 Posts
Ritesh, I apologise, I am an idiot!, I saw the last "Fast" lap in the ZR1, without realising that the 12c was the first post - had gone straight to the last! Your laps were superb, so smooth and well judged, the car simply awesome, you gradually got faster and faster as you learned the circuit. When I started at Silverstone I kept braking too late and losing it on a very wet track, much too hot, I am glad my camera wasn't working. Your laps were some of the best I have seen, the track is clearly wonderful, I wish I lived nearer. I loved your overtake of the white lotus in the wet on the inside - very naughty! The car just looks and sounds superb - as ever - thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nope. I flushed it with Motul 600 just to be safe. Otherwise stock. Prolly best to get an track alignment done if you are doing more events.

How long have you been doing track events? It depends on how serious you are about going to the track. I.E - a Street car can be morphed into a decent DE car but its never goint to be a "great track car". A track alignment will help but then you have to worry about how it drives on the street and how quick your tires are going to wear out, lack of a cage, proper harnesses etc etc.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nope. I flushed it with Motul 600 just to be safe. Otherwise stock. Prolly best to get an track alignment done if you are doing more events.

How long have you been doing track events? It depends on how serious you are about going to the track. I.E - a Street car can be morphed into a decent DE car but its never goint to be a "great track car". A track alignment will help but then you have to worry about how it drives on the street and how quick your tires are going to wear out, lack of a cage, proper harnesses etc etc.
probably once a month. im going to have a "semi track alignment done" and use motul 600.
i want a great street car that i can track every other month and have a blast! (i think its possible with the mp4)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts