McLaren Life banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 600LT Spider to the track yesterday, 2020 with about 1400 km. I put it in sport/sport mode, as it was my first time in this car on a somewhat difficult track (Canadian Tire Mosport).

I was driving aggressively, ahead of my friends in the corners, but noticed as I was coming onto the straights, I leaned heavily on the accelerator but the car bogged down. Another 600LT and my friend’s GT2RS pulled away fine. Granted the 600LT had the Trofeo R tires, while mine were P Zero. I did notice the traction light come on a few times, but it seemed the car was hovering around 3000 rpm (it was in auto mode). I wondering if it was the “nannies” kicking in, or is there something wrong with this engine? No error messages appeared.

I am concerned I may have a “bad” engine that generates less horsepower.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I took the 600LT Spider to the track yesterday, 2020 with about 1400 km. I put it in sport/sport mode, as it was my first time in this car on a somewhat difficult track (Canadian Tire Mosport).

I was driving aggressively, ahead of my friends in the corners, but noticed as I was coming onto the straights, I leaned heavily on the accelerator but the car bogged down. Another 600LT and my friend’s GT2RS pulled away fine. Granted the 600LT had the Trofeo R tires, while mine were P Zero. I did notice the traction light come on a few times, but it seemed the car was hovering around 3000 rpm (it was in auto mode). I wondering if it was the “nannies” kicking in, or is there something wrong with this engine? No error messages appeared.

hit that esc button once . Always drive in esc dynamic mode .

also,if driving in auto then it’s better to have the transmission in track .

in the car settings for tires; make sure it’s set to p zero tires (the esc works in conjunction with the tires on the car)

this topic has been discussed numerous times since 2016 When 570/675 first came out (the first two cars with esc dynamic mode)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

hit that esc button once . Always drive in esc dynamic mode .

also,if driving in auto then it’s better to have the transmission in track .

in the car settings for tires; make sure it’s set to p zero tires (the esc works in conjunction with the tires on the car)

this topic has been discussed numerous times since 2016 When 570/675 first came out (the first two cars with esc dynamic mode)

Reactions: Spr

·
Registered
167 Posts
UNMAC is correct. Traction control is getting in your way. ESC DYN mode frees up the car a ton but will still save you if needed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok thanks, with ESC dynamic, what’s my chance of spinning out?
Low. Esc will kick in before that happens. Going to esc dyn sounds scary but it’s really not. Once you push that button you’ll never go back.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
You're bigger issue was driving in auto and sport transmission. It probably shifted way before the optimal RPM (8,200) and you were in too high of a gear for your speed and the car shifted by itself.

Track transmission will fix that issue. It will learn on its own once you hit that throttle hard and it will match up the gear and change gears at the optimal shift RPM's.

ESC dynamic mode is safe. I'm of the opinion that it is more dangerous to not be in esc dynamic mode and the car severely cuts power on you. You'll think something is wrong with the car and you'll look into the instrument cluster as you are giving throttle and the power comes on immediately when you aren't ready/expecting it and your eyes aren't on the road ahead of you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, I will do ESC dynamic when I am back on the track. Mosport has a lot of blind drop turns, hence my reluctance to hit the ESC button.

·
570S Silica White
775 Posts
ESC DYN also varies depending on whether you are in race or sport mode...more conservative in sport. That's a great selection for sporty street driving when you still want intervention to preclude spins.

·
Registered
2020 600LT Spider
7 Posts
The Sport mode will let you lose traction more than the Track mode when you floor at the end of a turn. If you’re looking to have the best car performance you should be in track mode at the track.

Don’t disable the traction (ESC) if that is often showing you the traction lights and cutting your RPM. You’re probably entering or exiting the turns too fast, once you disable the traction you not only will be faster you also probably will lose control of your car.

When you get good in the track with traction control enabled and it don’t bleep you, then will be the time to disable it and work out progressively more speed in the track.

Your car is probably just saving you over steering. Doesn’t seems to have any issue.

600LT Spider are the best experience you can get in the sunset driving manual. When you learn to switch gears to keep the fire out. Everything just gets so much better haha 😂

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have had a few track issues this past weekend such as switching to my track wheel/tire set and then heading straight out on track. The car has gone into limp mode because the car has not sensed the TPMS on the track set yet. Despite it finally synching after one lap, it did it again in the second session; again, ok after one lap. Then, in the third session, I put the car in track mode (as always) and forgot to hit ESC DYN and the car gave me a BRAKE fault and to visit a service center. I came in, turned it off, refired and then went immediately into track mode and ESC DYN and floored it out of the hot pits. I had to do this in the next session as well. I spoke to my dealer and they think it is a speed sensor but I throw it out in case others have experienced the same. I will also note that before I put TPMS in the track set, I would always go into limp mode unless I turned all nannies off. My guess is that the Hoosier diameters are just different enough to cause the speed sensor to fault. This may be what happened this past weekend as well.

Kurt

·
Registered
382 Posts
You're running outside the ratio of the front to rear tire diameter.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Perhaps. I need to check that again as others are running the same size but have not had any issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts