McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it wasn't for my McLarens, I wouldn't have seen as much of California. No other car has motivated me to explore new places quite like this one. I've documented a few of my past trips on this forum:

California Coast to Monterey
Death Valley National Park
California Coast to Leggett
Ojai to Wine Country

The latest trip takes me to Yosemite National Park - for the first time.

On our way to Mammoth, we stop for fuel, and induce some lens flare shooting into the sun.

We stayed at the same hotel, Village Lodge, as on our ski trip to Mammoth last season. I remember making a mental note of the steep approach to the parking garage, because that's the kind of thing you make mental notes of after driving multiple GT3s and McLarens. My car doesn't have the lift option, and I knew that taking the approach at an angle wouldn't be possible with the curb splitting both direction of travel. I did bring four 2' sticks of 2x4, which were used to clear the front splitter. My girlfriend assisted with the "off-road spotting" as my front end gained an inch and a half of ground clearance. The guy in the Dodge Grand Caravan behind me laughed and probably thought "what a useless $300k car." I wish I had the time to snap a photo of the comedy. The incline on exit wasn't as bad and didn't require the same amount of drama.

We find a nice local coffee spot in the morning. A stellar break from the Starbucks standard.

Our first stop inside the park was at Tenaya Lake.

We turned onto 41 South to walk with the giants at Mariposa Grove, only to find out that that portion of the park is closed for renovations. Next year.

After exploring the sound reflecting properties of tunnels and the aural delight of an Akrapovic equipped 650S, we arrive at our next photo op. Wide angle.

Standard.

Just down the road, we stop to view half dome in the distance.

With the roof down, these in-car moving shots were possible.

We arrive at our lunch destination - the Majestic Hotel.

What a spectacular trip, but not the best for a "drive." Even in September, the roads were too crowded and slow moving traffic was reluctant to use the turn outs. This one is all about putting the car in normal mode, having a cup of tea, and soaking in the view.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Looks like a great trip. I loved Yosemite when I was there last year. I didn't visit in a McLaren though. I was in a bus. Typical tourist.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,257 Posts
Fantastic writeup! Thanks so much for sharing. I think I was through there in July, but it must have been on the right week day, because I had a lot of gaps for a good 'drive' in between. On the other hand, when I made it to Yellowstone, it was parade driving all around, which was painful. Just luck of the draw I suppose.

Anyway, love the pictures and writeup, super well done!

·
Registered
406 Posts
admire your willing to take trips with your mclarens.
good to see an owner that enjoys the hell out of it.
thank you for sharing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts