McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2019 600LT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put some aftermarket wheels on my car and wanted to keep the stock wheels and tires together to use for track days. So far I have been unable to get the new tpms sensors to work. Got a set off Amazon and the car would not recognize them so I bought a set from tpms.com that they claim are already programmed for the car and you just need to do the relearn procedure on the car itself. I can’t find any info on this and I’m at the Mclaren dealer right now. They are going to have a look but are saying I may well need to order factory sensors at over $250/each plus installation. Anybody have aftermarket sensors on their car that work and if so what brand and how did you get the car to “see” them?

· Registered
1,963 Posts
They are going to have a look but are saying I may well need to order factory sensors at over $250/each plus installation. Anybody have aftermarket sensors on their car that work and if so what brand and how did you get the car to “see” them?
The OEM ones are Huf. There is no such thing as "factory sensors", just rebranded, and marked-up, ones.

I haven't put TPMS sensors on mine (12C, but I assume that the others are similar), but have seen that some of my wheels have the Huf programmable ones (yellow). Huf also have ones that do not need to be programmed (black).

· Registered
108 Posts
unfortunately it seems to be a plaguing issue. I ordered a HUF set a few years that worked perfectly with my first set of aftermarket wheels (slightly longer in design). The new design for whatever reason has been a nightmare, I cannot get them to read. I have yet to assign HEXIDs to the sensors them selves. I myself have been through two sets (one from TPMSDirect and the other from Amazon so I feel your pain.

· Registered
2019 600LT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unfortunately it seems to be a plaguing issue. I ordered a HUF set a few years that worked perfectly with my first set of aftermarket wheels (slightly longer in design). The new design for whatever reason has been a nightmare, I cannot get them to read. I have yet to assign HEXIDs to the sensors them selves. I myself have been through two sets (one from TPMSDirect and the other from Amazon so I feel your pain.

that is very interesting because I got a set from amazon that did not work and also have a set from TPMS.com that I currently can't get to work either. TPMS.com says they have sold these sensors to other 600 owners and I am the ONLY one that has trouble with them. At this point I think I will return them and just take the sensors out of my factory wheels to put into the aftermarket wheels. Mclaren quoted me something crazy like $400 per sensor for another set.

· Registered
250 Posts
C6Vette,

This is funny as TPMS.com told me the exact same thing. As a reminder, I used to be part owner of Finspeed and we were looking for TPMS options outside of the dealerships and I tried TPMS and we could not get them to work. Garrett there said: "Well, I guess there goes our chance to work with you guys." At least he gave us a refund. That was four years ago. I tried again with the new Finspeeds and same deal, they don't work. Garrett said I was the only one with issues. Apparently not. I will be sending them back and bending over for the dealer set.

Kurt

· Registered
'15 650S Coupe, Aurora Blue
839 Posts
The OEM ones are Huf. There is no such thing as "factory sensors", just rebranded, and marked-up, ones.

I haven't put TPMS sensors on mine (12C, but I assume that the others are similar), but have seen that some of my wheels have the Huf programmable ones (yellow). Huf also have ones that do not need to be programmed (black).
It is so weird, I bought the black ones for this reason and now they don't even show them on their site for anything older than 2018.... They are all Orange options.... I still see the Black ones for newer models...

· Registered
839 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Update: I spoke with Garrett at TPMS.com today and sent him photos of the stock tpms from another set of wheels. He said the numbers and codes from the stock set exactly matches the set he sold me. He also indicated that they (TPMS.com) has had the same issue with several 720s and have referred the issue back to the manufacturer, Huf, in Germany. Huf is to look into this and get back to TPMS.com within a few weeks. I will call Garrett by the end of Nov. if I have not heard anything by then post any info I have at that time.

Kurt

· Registered
2019 600LT
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have given up on the sensors from tpms.com. Talked to Huf and they claim they should work but nothing seems to make the car see them. Tried 3 different brands of scanners as well as taking it to the dealer. Bottom line is these sensors aren’t right for the car.

· Registered
839 Posts
EDIT: Just to clarify my last post in this thread, the sensors I bought for my 650 worked perfectly out of the box. I just had to replace them on the wife's Camry and got them from TPMS.com as well and they are working fine as well. Though they need to be programmed on that old of a car (2008) via the OBDII port....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts