McLaren Life banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learning something interesting today. Last week my Tire pressure monitoring starting telling me my left rear tire was low.
I checked the pressure and it was fine. I drove it a few days later and the sensor told me I had 0 psi in the tire while I was going 70....
I once again checked the pressure and it was normal. I deduced I had a bad sensor. Call my McLaren dealer to schedule replacement.
He informed me if the sensor was bad they would replace it under warranty. If it was the battery it was going to cost me $ 350. I thought
that sounded high. I called America Tire and asked them if they could replace a TPMS sensor on a McLaren 12C. They said yes for
$80 including labor. I called my McLaren service advisor and told him I was confused. He said OEM original McLaren sensors from the UK are just
that expensive. I told him my Mercedes advisor would have just made sure the sensor was "bad" and done it under warranty. He told me he didn't
think the Americas tire sensors would work.....Long story short it works just fine. America Tire gave me back the old sensor and it was the same as
the one they put in...….

·
Registered
158 Posts
You avoided the "McLaren tax", well done. There are many parts on this car that this situation applies to. Almost any part not made by McLaren can be had for a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I just replaced all 4 of my 2012 MP4-12C sensors. Bought them for 140.00 pre-programmed from TPMS.com

They even offer the new sensors in black, gun metal gray, or silver to match your original OEM valve stems.

My tire shop said the McLaren automoatically recognized them, all they had to do was swap them out with the old sensors.

All in I spent 240.00 parts and labor for 4 brand new sensors! NICE!!!

FWI - The sensors are made by HUF, "Huf Intellisens" and they are 433mhz

·
Registered
187 Posts
So I had aftermarket TPMS sensors in my 570 for my track wheels and tires. These were from the TireRack.com and I have used them in other cars with no problems. They were a constant issue and may have led the car to going into limp mode while on track. I bit the bullet and put OEM in. The dealership gave me a discount on the parts because of their price. Realize that the batteries in these things last about 7 years so early 12c's will start to see them fail.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The "OEM" sensor removed from my tire was HUF, The sensor put in from America Tire was HUF...….

1 - 5 of 5 Posts