McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so im ordering some new tires for the 570. Didn't like the stock P Zero's, after I cooked the P Zeros in a couple thousand miles, I tried the Michelin Super Sports and defiantly thought they were better than the P Zero's. Didn't have to be as warmed up as the P Zero's to have grip and lasted much longer. But now its time for a new set and from everything I've heard, the Toyo R888's are the stickiest street tire you can get pretty much. I see that Toyo make the stock 285 size for the rears, but does not make the stock 225 size for the front. So if I upgraded the front size to 235 which they make (I think it should fit the stock rim just fine, correct me if Im wrong?) and kept the back at the stock 285, think that would be ok? Or would you recommend going one size larger to 295 for the rear since im going one size larger for the front? Im not much of a tire size expert haha so if you have any advice please let me know! Also if you think going with the R888's is a bad choice at all please let me know on that as well!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I run them in 245 front, 305 rear with aftermarket wheels. I think you can put them on the stock wheels but they may stick out beyond the wheel edge. It'll look beefy on stock wheels if you're ok with that look. And I love them. They do give off quite a bit of road noise (high pitch) especially on concrete freeway segments, but not as bad as the original R888s. I assume you're referring to the newer R888r's.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run them in 245 front, 305 rear with aftermarket wheels. I think you can put them on the stock wheels but they may stick out beyond the wheel edge. It'll look beefy on stock wheels if you're ok with that look. And I love them. They do give off quite a bit of road noise (high pitch) especially on concrete freeway segments, but not as bad as the original R888s. I assume you're referring to the newer R888r's.
You can use those sizes on stock wheels. Only for the r888r’s though. Anything else is 235/295.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I still have my R888Rs from my 570S. There isn’t that tread left for wet weather, but you can use them for track. PM me if you want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you're looking for longevity, lower your expectations for the R888Rs. There are many owners on this board showing love for the stickiness of the tire, but it seems they'll last at most half as long as the PS4Ss.

A popular alternative is to run wider PS4Ss (235,295) and then 15mm spacers on all four corners to widen the stance. This setup won't have as much grip as the 245/305 R888R setup, but a nice middle point.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yea I agree with this. Unless you drive only on track and drag strip. Pilot sport 4s are way better. I currently use the 4S.
The usage of 4s is 80% road. 20% track
The usage of Sport Cup 2 is 80% track 20% road.
The actual performance difference between the two on low speed tracks is about 1.5 seconds. The sport cup 2 will handle heat better and run more consistent laps however.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up getting the stock size 285 in the rear and one size up to 235 in the front. Wow these R888's are like glue, not to mention the tread pattern looks wicked! Yes the tires are louder on the highway than the PS4's and Perzo Corsa's that were on the car prior, but only if you are really listening hard will you notice a difference. To the untrained ear, nobody would notice a thing, especially if you have an exhaust. Highly recommend these tires!!

·
Vendor
232 Posts
Good choice in tire, we use them on all of our stage 2 and above packages since these stick so well.

The setup that works for us is 245 in the front and 305 in the rear

Here is a quick shot of @mrrobinson53181 car running that setup.

Cheers,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good choice in tire, we use them on all of our stage 2 and above packages since these stick so well.

The setup that works for us is 245 in the front and 305 in the rear

Here is a quick shot of @mrrobinson53181 car running that setup.

Cheers,

Love R888r's on my track car, and I think I'll put them on my 570 when the time comes.

Alex, can you confirm that this tire in 245 front and 305 rear works with no issues on stock wheels and suspension, with no electronics/sensor related problems?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Vendor
232 Posts
Love R888r's on my track car, and I think I'll put them on my 570 when the time comes.

Alex, can you confirm that this tire in 245 front and 305 rear works with no issues on stock wheels and suspension, with no electronics/sensor related problems?

Thanks,

Rich
Haven’t seen any issues running the 245/305 sizes on these cars. As long as your tire installer doesn’t break a sensor you will be fine.

Cheers,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These tires grip! Still can't get over how much grip there is. The incredible part is how much traction there is even when the tires are cold!

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are many reports across the forum that state these sizes of the R888R's will work without throwing codes, rubbing on the fender, or other issues. The width increase from the stock 285 to R888R 305 rears is 0.8", or 0.4" (10MM) wider at the outside fender. I run 295/35/20 rears (PS4S) and 15MM spacers, which puts my total stance at a total of + 20.08MM at each of the outside fenders, or +10MM over the additional width of the 305's. Keep in mind my 295 setup is also 3.8MM shorter than the height of the 305s (measured from hub to fender). After going hard on a variety of surfaces with this setup, I do not have rubbing issues. (y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Are you folks running into any issues with TC/ESC running the wider R888Rs? I already find it intrusive enough on the track and have heard it might trigger it even more even if the car has plenty of grip left. I'm currently hesitating between doing 305/245 vs. 285/235.

I'm going to be changing my worn down P Zero Corsas in a bit and have a few track days coming in July, pretty excited to get some more grip down!

·
Registered
283 Posts
When the tire is new yes. It requires a whole track day to break in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts