1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my 12c.

On one hand:
- when I drive it, I do like it.
- not sure if the price I would get is worth parting for.

On the other hand:
- given limited time to drive, I will chose two extremes: my F12 or Carrera GT.
- we have eight cars and my wife is starting to push back on adding another! :)

Would I get something else? Perhaps a GT3 RS or perhaps a race car or even building a hot rod. I was also thinking about a 918 or P1 but decided to wait on getting a super-hybrid.

This 2012 car is really loaded, with all the carbon options and nice MSO parts (front bumper, side view mirrors and mirror arms), and with all the latest updates. ~5,000 miles and in perfect condition of course.

What's the market these days?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
It's probably worth like 5 bucks, but since we're both on McLarenLife here I'll cut you a break and offer $9.50 :D

In truth, the range for 2012 cars seems to be 190k - 230k... Take a look at cars.com and you can sort the list to get a better compare to your car.

-Jamie.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
GoPlay, as much as I hate to tell anyone to sell, I'm a bit of a minimalist. If I don't use it, I tend to want to get rid of it. So that would go in favor of punting.

Sounds like you have a lot of cars, so not sure how you can give much of any of them serious seat time, but unless you are a collector, not sure what the value is of just having a nice object collecting dust that you don't get to enjoy using.

So I'd lean towards selling. Your mind has kind of done the decision making on what you enjoy driving and it seems like it's two other very fine cars. So, unless you go on use binges, where 3 months from now you might start using other cars more frequently and the Mac could go in rotation, I'd simplify down to what you actually use.

But I'm very utilitarian that way, and easily allow that there may be some value to collecting. Just, for me, there may be some intersection between hoarding and collecting. :)

Regardless, let us know what you decide, and would hope you'd still hang out a bit as you're a great contributor!

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're toying with selling your 12C. I've been toying with buying a 12C. I keep bouncing back to being happy with my 458 Italia. I don't know how much I would drive the 12C when also having the 458. I wouldn't know unless I had both.

Let us know if you put your car on the market. I may be interested.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Well, you should either sell it because you don't use it, or use it more. Selling it makes financial sense if you don't use it, but it doesn't make financial value oriented sense in that you've barely used it and will probably take a bath on it.

I'd aim for a balance of real value in dollars and value in enjoyment. I think you can get more personal value from keeping the car than you can real value by selling it now. You could probably keep it a while longer and put a lot more miles on it without losing too much value given how much they have already depreciated.

Then again, if you really aren't going to use it...

This is why I don't own more than one car. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Or maybe exchange it into a used 2013 spyder? Maybe you would use it more then since it adds a bit of more difference to your other cars? Just a thought...

I would never prefer the F12 over a 12C, so I am likely the wrong person to comment :)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Unfortunately your loss will be someone else's gain. If your not going to drive the baby then I guess it would be fitting to get rid of your beautiful car. Yes it's a beautiful car, I just wish I didn't have my car or I would have bought yours. Good-luck goplay on your decision and the fate of your ride. Cheers......??

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was close to a business opportunity that would have dramatically reduced my time in my car over the summer. I thought of selling and buying a 911 or a V8V in a modest color to drive while I was away to keep a lower profile. I drove both and felt hollow. There is nothing like a 12C. Don't get me wrong, if the financial necessity rose or I was truly called away I would do it. I know that I would have been back in one the minute I was able to enjoy it. In the end, I will probably add another AM at some point. So my thought of downsizing will actually lead to another car purchase. It's a very powerful illness.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
After all the effort you placed to get your car the way it is ... I challenge 360 you to find a replacement for it and buyers are a PIA.

If you get a race car which is a great idea - add a trailer a truck a lot of spares something to pull it with - a support team and a place to store it all.

Let the wife go shopping and keep the Mac :) then go get a Challenge Car!

·
Registered
715 Posts
I frequently have similar issues as I hate selling things. Despise may be a better term.

I always calculate on the margin, not the whole amount. Starting with the financial...Let's say you sell it, you'll get pennies on the mso bits. Essentially some one will get all that for free. You'll do worse on a trade as wholesale has no value on such upgrades. Some third parties even deduct for them as they limit potential buyers since it may not be to their taste.

Next up is emotional equity. You spent time picking out the options/color/interior and that you'll never get back. And, from experience, that'll leave a hole.

Many on here own multiple cars and manage to enjoy them all. Certain cars lend themselves to certain moods, or weather or events. Others are a pleasure to fuss over. My FGT falls into that category. Additionally I'm saving a couple for my kids, especially when it speaks to their personality.

But I'm sure you knew/considered all that.

I was in a similar conundrum at the new year. Then my friend/accountant told me that for less than what I would lose in dep on a certain F-car I could build another garage. So on the margin, it's a push to keep it if I am just getting rid of it for space.

In my humble opinion.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sell the wife and keep the car!....Much easier!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are great! LOL!

jkheit: yes there is an intersection between collecting and hoarding... kind of like a wine connoisseur and drinking to get drunk: the former rationalizes getting drunk and the latter can't help himself!

I can't wait to share with all of you car lovers the "garage" I am building. 8 glass garage doors, bi-fold aircraft hanger door on one end, lounge space, RGB lighting... A beautiful structure in its own right but a really cool place for cars. :) Should be done late summer.

Meanwhile... I don't have a good reason to sell (ie price or lack of space) but like others' views here, idle assets seem like they should be put to work, one way or another.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Sell the wife and keep the car!....Much easier!

Hey that's another approach which I never even thought of, well I did but held off but now that the flood gates are open :D why not. Good one Zachary, you can tell your from la belle province ;) . Cheers.....??

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Would I get something else? Perhaps a GT3 RS or perhaps a race car or even building a hot rod. I was also thinking about a 918 or P1 but decided to wait on getting a super-hybrid.

?
My 2p. Given i am assuming you have the time/opportunity and quite importantly the space to use the cgt regularly, honestly don't think the rs will do that much for you. The rs is a really good car but the cgt is on a higher level in every possible way. Admittedly i am looking for a 7.2rs right now which might seem to be possibly contradicting the above but i'm rather unfortunately not able to drive the gt as much as i would like and for smaller roads around me the rs offers something of the cgt fix in a slightly more usable package...and i admit, i could just about face writing off a rs on track if i were stupid enough to prang one but it would break my heart (and more importantly bank balance) if I put the gt into a wall.......

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
You guys are great! LOL!

jkheit: yes there is an intersection between collecting and hoarding... kind of like a wine connoisseur and drinking to get drunk: the former rationalizes getting drunk and the latter can't help himself!

I can't wait to share with all of you car lovers the "garage" I am building. 8 glass garage doors, bi-fold aircraft hanger door on one end, lounge space, RGB lighting... A beautiful structure in its own right but a really cool place for cars. :) Should be done late summer.

Meanwhile... I don't have a good reason to sell (ie price or lack of space) but like others' views here, idle assets seem like they should be put to work, one way or another.
I spent a lot of vacations in Tahoe ... hoping that buttered you up to show me those garage prints.

Almost done with my home and the last piece is eliminating the tennis court and constructing a garage.

RGB lighting?

I had the wonderful idea of converting some of the original garage doors to carriage doors - make sure you have an overhang or heated driveway or those doors won't open in the snow.

Curious how you are making sure the bi fold doors do not become misaligned during strong winds - it's a constant problem every few months. Ended up re - engineering the arms with heavier steel but still have issues.

I used mahogany which are heavy doors but insulate well.

Glass is an option and looking into fog glass.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
We also need to see your garage when its built Doug ! Ever thought of building it under the tennis court? I don't use mine,but its always a reminder that I should do more exercise,what would I do if I got rid of it :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
We also need to see your garage when its built Doug ! Ever thought of building it under the tennis court? I don't use mine,but its always a reminder that I should do more exercise,what would I do if I got rid of it :)
Yes - but I am a freak about sewers clean outs and drainage so when I submitted drawings.

The cost got out of hand when the sewer district required oil separators pump stations all monitored with back up generators. I will dig when they can't see me ;)

Andy - go buy a bunch of gym equipment and hire a hot trainer ... trust me :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The "garage" is being built on my Sonoma property so no snow loads but there can be wind and of course it has to be engineered for earthquakes. It is an innovative design that words don't do it justice: the roof is actually "suspended" above the structure below, supported by separate steel pillars. As for the resilience of the bifold door, it costs almost as much as a used 12c! RGB lighting is red-green-blue LED lights allowing different lighting colors, including white.

This is not quite just a garage... :D

I spent a lot of vacations in Tahoe ... hoping that buttered you up to show me those garage prints.

Almost done with my home and the last piece is eliminating the tennis court and constructing a garage.

RGB lighting?

I had the wonderful idea of converting some of the original garage doors to carriage doors - make sure you have an overhang or heated driveway or those doors won't open in the snow.

Curious how you are making sure the bi fold doors do not become misaligned during strong winds - it's a constant problem every few months. Ended up re - engineering the arms with heavier steel but still have issues.

I used mahogany which are heavy doors but insulate well.

Glass is an option and looking into fog glass.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Yes - but I am a freak about sewers clean outs and drainage so when I submitted drawings.

The cost got out of hand when the sewer district required oil separators pump stations all monitored with back up generators. I will dig when they can't see me ;)

Andy - go buy a bunch of gym equipment and hire a hot trainer ... trust me :)
Got the gym,but you just know if a hot trainer is employed it will be done by the wife,and you can guess what type that would be.So lose/lose on my part :(

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
The "garage" is being built on my Sonoma property so no snow loads but there can be wind and of course it has to be engineered for earthquakes. It is an innovative design that words don't do it justice: the roof is actually "suspended" above the structure below, supported by separate steel pillars. As for the resilience of the bifold door, it costs almost as much as a used 12c! RGB lighting is red-green-blue LED lights allowing different lighting colors, including white.

This is not quite just a garage... :D
Are you using bridge steel - then cables to suspend?

I knew the doors were nuts - thought mine were expensive!

May want to look into fogging the glass for privacy.

Just installed the LED RGB Pink Yellow combination etc lights in the pool - they have yet to work in full coordination. I have it on white for the winter on the 3rd driver and awaiting spring to install.

Believe it or not Missouri is also on a fault so everything is also eq rated and all the roofs are large slate so weight loads are excessive.

Here is what I am working with - basically a clean slate but for a 100' long 7 inch concrete wall.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts