McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Owner
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone managed to find any paint that is close enough to Volcano Red for touching up? I understand that the original paint cannot be applied for touching up as it leaves a silver outline.

This is a major issue with the volcano paint.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Any good paint shop could probably do it. A shop here matched my blue fontus Lambo color, but added more metallic to it to get as close as possible.

·
Owner
893 Posts
'They' make it extremely hard to obtain their paints.
But, I procured about half a pint of V. Orange paint (base and color coat) to use as a touch-up paint ...... When we sprayed it on to a test paddle ..... I must say, it was a damn good match. But, I know from years of experience that: No way in hell will you be able to match the metallic pearl "flop" with a touch-up brush. Basically impossible !! :(
I have dotted a few very tiny chips, and it is passable. It's a lot better than the white underbase that will show, if you just do nothing.

Best advice: Keep your fingers crossed.:)

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi Andrew,the garage that has done work for our dealership made me up a small pot of paint for touching up chips,its very thin water based but will cover the white chips,but it dosn;t have the thickness of the original paint so you are still left with a small indent,shame there isn't an inert thickener that you can mix with it,but that's the problem with these paints.

·
Owner
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too have a pot of VR, but it just doesn't apply easily, nor does it look the same once it dries. Yes better than the white untreated background, but it still stands out. I was hoping that someone would have come up with a non pearl match for touching up which can be easier to apply...Its my only dissappointment of the Volcano colours..

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was told to use nail varnish on VR.........that was by a Mclaren guy who went on to explain why Volcano colours cannot be 'touched up'.

Apparently the colour is a lacquer that is dependent on thickness applied for its colour.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I was told to use nail varnish on VR.........that was by a Mclaren guy who went on to explain why Volcano colours cannot be 'touched up'.

Apparently the colour is a lacquer that is dependent on thickness applied for its colour.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts

That sounds just like a dual-stage/tri-coat paint! I wondered if the Elite (and Volcano) paints were tri-coats (base-coat + top-coat + tinted-clearcoat) but I couldn't reasonably conclude such from the McLaren Automotive factory tv doc'.

Here's more on other variation(s) of tri-coat paints: http://www.paintscratch.com/tricoat.htm

·
Owner
893 Posts
Another thing that will minimize the crappy look with a brushed on touch-up is to use: Langka
You overfill the chip with paint, and then level the repair flush with the original surface using the Langka product.
It does help to give a blended look. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry about the thread revival :p

Question, are the touch up problems associated with only the Volcano paints or all of the Elite paints?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was just quoted $225 for a pint of Volcano Orange by a McLaren dealer. Also told it would harden after 3-4 days. There has got to be a better solution by now. Just something close to hide that "white" spot mentioned here . :confused:

·
Owner
893 Posts
I was just quoted $225 for a pint of Volcano Orange by a McLaren dealer. Also told it would harden after 3-4 days. There has got to be a better solution by now. Just something close to hide that "white" spot mentioned here . :confused:
Dealer rip-off:( ..... Don't believe their b.s. that they are the only ones with access to your paint code !!!
I got a pint of the paint from a body shop (with good connections) for less than $100.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just did my Vorsteiner body kit on my volcano orange car post pics after event tonight and i match it no problem but wasn't easy . I did notice there is no color code like a ppg number . Its a candy color with silver base . here is my rear bumper in booth :)

Attachments

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Interesting piece of kit!! Thankfully the new paint is easier to match than the original supply

·
2012 12C Coupe - VR
1,645 Posts
Does anyone have the paint code for Volcano Red or know where I can buy a pint? I was unlucky and scratched my rear bumper. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts