McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chaps,

Any of you happen to have pushed the Mac up through the elusive 200mph? I've still not found the right opportunity / location to push the max - 197mph is best so far. I've read a few reviews on attempts over in DE to find the top, but nothing spectacular.

I will say though, that at 197 the car felt planted - an adjective I've not been able to use on many others outside of Big Bertha (Veyron).

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm a wimp. Fastest is 160 (on track).

I'd imagine you'd need to be on a super long straight somewhere in Nevada or Minnesota.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There a couple of locations not too far from NYC, although not something for the board - needs an early morning run and much caffeine! Vermont / New Hampshire were great to stretch the legs back in the summer on the way up to and back from the Grand Prix - couple of big dippers where visibility was huge

I'd have to think the guys over in DE or CH would have some idea of whats possible

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
This might not count, but I've been a passenger in a McLaren F1 at over 200 mph. :D

Was only able to manage 120 mph or so in the 12C I drove, but as that was already a multiple of the speed limit on said road there wasn't a lot of opportunity for more. Given better conditions I'd try for the magic number.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think Mikey must have done it when he hit 8th gear ( surprised everybody ) on the straight at the Ring.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Vermont / New Hampshire were great to stretch the legs back in the summer on the way up to and back from the Grand Prix - couple of big dippers where visibility was huge
There are indeed... Just watch out for airplanes if you're rocketing through the dips near Concord. The roads are marked with distance lines and there will be a spotter / timer in a plane. He clocks you and radios down to the cars a few miles ahead to pull you over. Our state PD are typically a fairly nice lot, but the tickets aren't cheap :D

-Jamie.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Sadly not ric.... 187 mph. 303 kmh. I shall try 5th or 6th next time. 8th is very much overdrive !

My personal best is 196 in fgt...
Mikey. I do think 8th gear is a double edged sword......protects the engine, denies bragging rights.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have not personally but a fellow Silicon Valley owner described his experience to me. Seems he and a buddy in an Aventador were going very fast on a very straight, very deserted road in Utah and he decided to see if he could reach 200. With his hands firmly on the wheel and eyes straight ahead his passenger called out 196..197..198..199..200! It sounded like a very thrilling experience that I won't be duplicating. :)

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
How much of a (linear) distance is needed for a 12C to get to 200mph?

The Texas Mile event has always caught my eye for how unreal some of the entrants perform!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got quite the chuckle at the thought of the overhead aircraft tracking what would have looked like a balistic missle going through those big dippers...!!! I'm very glad I chose the opportunities carefully.

I have hit the low 170's on the straight at Monticello, but to get above that you need a VERY long stretch of quiet road (obviously...), which is tough to find at the best of times, and then add some silver balls and a prayer that there isnt local law enforcement playing peekaboo halfway through your run!

After my last attempt, im confident that 200 is more that possible, and I'd have to guess that a stretch of 3.5-4 miles would be good, taking into account the necessity of needing to lose a lot of that speed before a turn!

The hunt begins....

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Big Mac, crap, you hit 170+. What did you hit the kink at? About 165? How did that feel? I almost wet myself when I hit the kink at 150.

·
Registered
230 Posts
How much of a (linear) distance is needed for a 12C to get to 200mph?

The Texas Mile event has always caught my eye for how unreal some of the entrants
perform!

ive done the TX mile twice a few years ago in a modded 997.1TT. A stock 997.1TT would do about 165 mph in a standing mile, my car with tune and exhaust went 178 mph and the following year i went back with larger vtg turbos and headers and bigger intercoolers and went 186 mph in the standing mile. I am 100% sure that my 13 spider is significantly faster and i think it might nudge or exceed 190 mph in a standing mile, unless 6th gear is too long, never tried it that fast.
btw, a stock regular veyron runs the mile at 205 mph, so 200 mph is unlikely for the 12c. it will need more space to get there.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
German motorway, early Sunday, 7th gear, 319 km/h. Pushing the pedal to the metal couldn't get to 320 or anything above. Slower than spec, specifically if you discount a speedometer deviation of, say, 12 km/h.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Declan. Do you have a spider or coupe? Was that with the HP upgrade. The magic number in km is 322. I know the coupe should do it a touch more readily.

·
Registered
230 Posts
German motorway, early Sunday, 7th gear, 319 km/h. Pushing the pedal to the metal couldn't get to 320 or anything above. Slower than spec, specifically if you discount a speedometer deviation of, say, 12 km/h.
in 7th? i thought top speed was attained in 6th gear at 207 mph (333 km/h), according to mclaren 7th gear is good only for 187 mph (300 km/h). you went 320 in 7th?.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I haven't taken the 12C on one of my annual ring trips yet for a top speed run on the de-restricted roads but have managed about 185mph at Bruntingthorpe airfield. Its funny that it doesn't feel hyper fast as there is no cars etc to benchmark the speed!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Declan, as aahtt said, 7th gear will never get you to the top speed. 7th gear is for fuel consumption, not speed. Next time you hit 300kph in 7th, switch down to 6th and see how it goes.

I did slightly above 300kph, but did not have time to try more. I will next summer on a nice late saturday night or early sunday morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts