McLaren Life banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some calculations of top speeds based on power increases and found that if you gave a McLaren F1 1000 bhp, it should theoretically be capable of 280 mph. I know gear ratios and other mechanicals would have to change aswell to facilitate that but it shows what the P12 would be capable of (given people are estimating that it will have that kind of power) if it were to match the F1's drag coeficient and frontal area. Interestingly if you work it the other way and give the Veyron or the Veyron SS 627 bhp, they would both only be capable of 215 mph

·
Registered
21 Posts
The energy stored in the KERS is lost during acceleration, so when it reaches its maximum speed only will be available the engine power, 800cv. Recalculate top speed for that power. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remember reading an article in which Gordon Murray said to match the speed of the Bugatti the F1 would need about 800bhp....
Don't forget the P12 will probably have a mass of down force so drag will be an issue, still shows you what a brick the veyron is.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with the owners of the Austrian dealership at the MTC dinner last wednesday.They were asking if the top speed would be put right in platform10??? As it had been reduced too much in platform 9??
They have a customer who regularly drives it at 330kph and after 9 it was reduced to 319kph,this was in fact part of the re-map to platform 10,so i suppose it wouldnt bother too many people,but this particular customer was not happy,because as he put it!!! When his wife was driving the Bentley GT at 325kph he couldnt keep up with her and that would not do:eek::eek::eek:
He was satisfied to be told that platform 10 did have the extra power to be back up to 207 mph and a couple more had been acheived at the right track,so he would always be quicker than his dearest !!!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Andy, that Bentley GT is really an impressive car. I NEVER liked Bentleys, until I drove the new GT - it boggles the mind how such a heavy, tubby car can just roar, and fly down the road. Plus it's comfy as hell.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Andy, that Bentley GT is really an impressive car. I NEVER liked Bentleys, until I drove the new GT - it boggles the mind how such a heavy, tubby car can just roar, and fly down the road. Plus it's comfy as hell.
I wouldnt want to be the one to stop it at 330kph,certainly if my other half was in the 12c in front:D .Must admit i was not a lover,but we couldnt get the kids in a DB9 and the GT is just as quick with plenty of luggage space,an ideal school bus!!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with the owners of the Austrian dealership at the MTC dinner last wednesday.They were asking if the top speed would be put right in platform10??? As it had been reduced too much in platform 9??
They have a customer who regularly drives it at 330kph and after 9 it was reduced to 319kph,this was in fact part of the re-map to platform 10,so i suppose it wouldnt bother too many people,but this particular customer was not happy,because as he put it!!! When his wife was driving the Bentley GT at 325kph he couldnt keep up with her and that would not do:eek::eek::eek:
He was satisfied to be told that platform 10 did have the extra power to be back up to 207 mph and a couple more had been acheived at the right track,so he would always be quicker than his dearest !!!
Very interesting, andy. I still feel like the boost is stronger with Powertrain set to Normal. Could be a throttle map thing, but your information suggests the situation is more complex than I thought.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Very interesting, andy. I still feel like the boost is stronger with Powertrain set to Normal. Could be a throttle map thing, but your information suggests the situation is more complex than I thought.
I was lucky enough to be sat with the chief engineer for the 12c project for 3 hours (carlo) ex ferrari for 18 years,he headed the 430!! . He was the engineer that confirmed the 319 top speed with 9,he did say we would like 10 especially with the gearchange(which i wouldnt let up on as we know the downshift is poor,and a big player from Austria on the table agreed with me) .So everything will be good and they are programming in an exhaust modification (not a blip) but similar what ever that might be????? And the speed will be back up to 333kph,he said they had had 210mph,but i cannot remeber where.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The energy stored in the KERS is lost during acceleration, so when it reaches its maximum speed only will be available the engine power, 800cv. Recalculate top speed for that power. ;)
Or accelerate on na power only until it stops accelerating, then add kers.
Resultant top speed will be when it stops accelerating. Will only be momentary.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts