McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the review of the F12,which being shrink wrapped compared to the 599 I think is a fantastic car,but why no Stig laptime?? Is this normal? Or the PR department not allowing it ? They did have a lap for the BAC mono which was great,so is it just the one laptime per show allowed?

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
think that's kinda the format.. one round the track, one on the road.. as it's their 'gt' i guess they weren't too fussed about it going round the track.. BAC a piece of kit heh... should have had a good in one of those when offered at the ring last year...

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Think Horatio ruined it for everybody, by being so blatant about the tires. Who wants to go out on anything resembling a street tire now and get nowhere near.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Interesting that Jeremy mentioned the Ferrari should slow down the steering. Something I've been thinking since the age of the current modern Ferrari (458, F12, probably LaFerrari too). The throttle seems too sensitive as well.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Top Gear Supercars Annual 2013.
23 articles and McLaren was featured in 6 if them, Ferrari in 2 and Pagani in 2.
British press bias working the right way? :)

·
Dread man , truly dread
1,183 Posts
Brilliant car the f12 only modern car that currently interests me , along with the wraith .

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
or that in one part the Mac completely obliterates the Ferrari on teh spanish roads in both straights dn turns, and then they do a chicken dance at the end saying they're all equally fast. The might ferrari intimidates even top gear. bunch of bunk. Normal top gear.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I did and to be fair the result was expected... :rolleyes:
The program confirmed to me that my purchase was the right one- not quite so with the photographs :eek: but it somewhat proved its exclusivity.

The car won in most of the requirements but you just knew they -like all the magazine would pick the Italian because it has the extra 'something'.
I totally get that and I understand the 'something' but I bought a sports car and from what I saw the 12C won the tasks required of it as the best sports car- just like it has in the magazine reviews- but still comes second..:)

I'm over it already and plan to continue to drive it till the ends of the earth and enjoy every moment.:cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a tangle about Ferrari being favored for intangible reasons - did anybody really expect that McLaren could build a world class supercar with instantly recognizable cachet first time out and wipe everybody else from the face of the earth? It took companies like Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari 50 years! If McLaren is still around in 10 years, and if they keep building cars that are class leading in many ways, they will have a shot at the podium. In the meantime, the entry of McLaren will force all other boutique manufactures to produce a much better product, similarly to the entry of the R8 and some lesser extent the GTR.

Right now, we have to be content to be the owners of a truly spectacular car - general recognition of this fact will take some time.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I don't understand why everybody is getting their panties in a tangle about Ferrari being favored for intangible reasons - did anybody really expect that McLaren could build a world class supercar with instantly recognizable cachet first time out and wipe everybody else from the face of the earth? It took companies like Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari 50 years! If McLaren is still around in 10 years, and if they keep building cars that are class leading in many ways, they will have a shot at the podium. In the meantime, the entry of McLaren will force all other boutique manufactures to produce a much better product, similarly to the entry of the R8 and some lesser extent the GTR.

Right now, we have to be content to be the owners of a truly spectacular car - general recognition of this fact will take some time.
Exactly. Think how Porsche and Lambo feel - they didn't even make the show!

It's going to take years (literally) for McLaren to become a sentimental favourite. Until then ... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

I'll bite. Because of merit. And when something that doesn't merit an award, and yet is given an award, it grates on a lot of people.

Each product speaks for itself. Before the iPhone Blackberry was the top of the heap. I could care less about Blackberry's heritage, philosophy, etc., once something better came out, something better came out.

These are products, not some family line debutante ball.

Of course I agree with you that general recognition will take time. Just like there are people that still think the Blackberry is better. There is a tipping point, and for Blackberry vs iPhone that came and went. It doesn't help that the press is pretty irrational on these subjects. It was much the same for Blackberry vs. the iPhone in early days as well. But just like the press couldn't see it was better day one, and now the issue is largely moot, it's much the same way here for Mac v. F. But the economies of scale are very different in this market, and the ferrari propaganda regime and the domestically abused press it keeps under its thumb will keep things distorted away from the merits.

Anyway, if there's even a smidgen of truth to any of my above rantings, that's reason enough for people to be annoyed.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'll bite. Because of merit. And when something that doesn't merit an award, and yet is given an award, it grates on a lot of people.

Each product speaks for itself. Before the iPhone Blackberry was the top of the heap. I could care less about Blackberry's heritage, philosophy, etc., once something better came out, something better came out.

These are products, not some family line debutante ball.

Of course I agree with you that general recognition will take time. Just like there are people that still think the Blackberry is better. There is a tipping point, and for Blackberry vs iPhone that came and went. It doesn't help that the press is pretty irrational on these subjects. It was much the same for Blackberry vs. the iPhone in early days as well. But just like the press couldn't see it was better day one, and now the issue is largely moot, it's much the same way here for Mac v. F. But the economies of scale are very different in this market, and the ferrari propaganda regime and the domestically abused press it keeps under its thumb will keep things distorted away from the merits.

Anyway, if there's even a smidgen of truth to any of my above rantings, that's reason enough for people to be annoyed.

All true. But to be honest, I'm just satisfied that they are willing to admit somewhere in the program (or magazine article) that the 12C is much faster than the 458. That is huge progress compared to only one year ago, let alone at launch. The funny part is that the 625 PS upgrade gives them the opportunity to say it is now faster, when we know it has always been faster, even with only 600 PS. In my mind, McLaren always deserved at least that recognition for bringing the fastest car in the segment. But, Ferrari's press car tactics and the media's lack of testicles robbed them of it. Even Ron doesn't expect to win the sentimental nod yet; his vision is much more long term.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts