Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean, in Shanghai, it cost a whopping $31..,

Attachments

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
HyperMac954. Brilliant value but a word of warning. When in Turkey last year, as best man for a wedding, we went out in the local town for a swift half or two as it was the Groom's last night of freedom.

So we walked into a watch shop and I fancied a Breitling. The Groom said leave the negotiating to me and duly drove the price down from £100 to £30.........a bargain! Well pleased.

Two days later on the local street-market I saw the same watch and the vendor said, before negotiation started, £20 each or two for £30........we fell about laughing and the vendor thought that was tactical and said OK, 3 for £30.

I showed him my watch on my wrist and we could not tell the time due to internal condensation. LOL, great fun.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol - it's absolute junk, no doubt, but I couldn't resist. And then I realized at the end I was haggling over $5. Cost 380RMB for two of them - going to give them to guys at the McLaren dealership (but will wear it at the P1 unveiling next week here...).

Did find a nice Omega clone for my girlfriend - I took it over to the real Omega store afterwards and only under close inspection could I tell the difference, and even then, if you asked me to pick the real vs fake, it'd be tough.

As much I'd like to own a watch that cost $15K+, I just can't bring myself to do it. Not knocking those that do at all, I just can't myself.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think you've already gotten more than $31 worth of enjoyment out of the story. If the watch tells time for a few days, you're that much ahead. :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, realistically, it probably will tell better time, longer, than the real thing, being a cheap but reliable quartz movement. It'll just get scratched, and glass will chip, band will fall apart, etc etc.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I was visiting China every few weeks for several years and amassed a big collection of rip-off Breitlings, Rolexes, Cartiers, etc. Never paid more than $30 and some of them (about50%) are still working! Great fun to haggle with them getting the price down! I found the deal was done usually when I walked away for the third time...
Hmm, I obviously need to get back there for the Mac watch!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hunted and hunted for more, but only found the two.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I mean, in Shanghai, it cost a whopping $31..,
Hey I noticed a flaw in that $31 watch, the stitching is off. Oh well for $31 I guess it's worth it, if your into imitations. Not.... Either it's real or it's nothing at all, I'm not much of a watch guy but if I was I would never ever wear a phony. It's almost as bad as driving around in a Ferrari kit car built out of a Feiro. I don't mean to rain on any bodies parade, but that's the way I feel. One more time Not.... and as previously mentioned its either all or nothing. Cheers....??

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's mine. Automatic, display rear case back, crystal glass... All for a whopping $100. And I probably overpaid.:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357571812.667192.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357571825.382878.jpg

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Moncho. That almost looks like a real fake:D.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Genuine, original, one of a kind replica! (Sounds like an ebay sales line);)

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn Moncho - wish I'd seen a fake that good! Where'd you find that one??

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
It's like you guys are taking money right out of Frank Stephenson's carbon fiber motorcycle part fund, one by one. :p

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
380 Posts
Okay. Okay. You guys have talked this up so much that the guy in Singapore is gonna start charging $32 for those babies and you'll have ruined it for the rest of us. :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Damn Moncho - wish I'd seen a fake that good! Where'd you find that one??
As most of these things go... I know a guy. Send him a photo, he finds you the watch. Good guy, Great service!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
1 - 20 of 93 Posts