McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot of negative feedback about the IRIS. My car is 3 weeks from being built and I'm having second thoughts about me having ordered this system.
You guys who have taken this option, should I cancel it or keep it?

I actually don't need the GPS, I already use a Garmin (even thought I took the GPS upgrade in my Jag, I went out and bought the unit later on, didn't care for the Jag GPS).

I just want a better sound when I listen to the radio or my music on a drive.

What are the pros and cons of IRIS?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine as of yet, and don't think I will. Do I use any of these systems, barely but I figured I should give them all a try to see if everything was up to snuff, and they were. The only area of concern was the somewhat subpar sound performance of the Bluetooth phone, which once again is not something I use. When I get into this car all I want to do is drive it and enjoy the sounds that come out of the engine/exhaust. Don't get me wrong I love toys/gadgets in my cars just incase I have a need/urge more is better then not enough. I'm of the opinion that these issues will get resolved its just a question of time. All I can say is go with what will make you happy in the long run, good luck. Cheers....??

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks extremeride. What problem did you encounter with Bluetooth? Dropped signal or bad sound quality?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Tough choice(not sure its not obligotary where you are ?) Many of these things are bought to aid re-sale,but if its the equivalent amount less on re-sale it would be the cheapest and sell anyway ! If you are keeping her for a long time it doesn't matter imo,but 5 better quality speakers over 3 makes a difference if you are into music,and the speakers do get better over time,and the Nav is getting better and being upgraded all the time foc,so one day it will be world class I;m sure.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I generally like iris. Compared to most car systems its great. Compared
To your phone, meh. But it's constantly improving. I like how it generally works and behaves in a phone like way. And I like how brutally straightforward it is.

The nav is very remedial, and worse, doesn't do traffic.

The media player is simple, but effective.

The sound is pretty good, and considering the engine noise, better than I thought.

The negativity is that iris is really at something more like version 0.8. It's functional, shows some promise, but remedial.

The car is at a spinal tap 11, performance wise. The contrast is glaring and damning, and why I think you hear people hating on iris. But on its own, it ain't that bad.

Now is to worth 6k? My understanding is you get a physical speaker upgrade. I don't know anyone that's heard the near-non exist standard 3 speaker system vs the meridian speakers. I do know the meridian sounds pretty good (again, considering the banshee wail of the engine).

Ultimately, you need to value it yourself; you should be able to go to a dealer and play with it. I got it and am not sorry despite its outrageous price. It's serviceable. And relative to the other doodads (~8k for a carbon fiber air brake) it seemed almost reasonable. ;)

As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tough choice(not sure its not obligotary where you are ?) Many of these things are bought to aid re-sale,but if its the equivalent amount less on re-sale it would be the cheapest and sell anyway ! If you are keeping her for a long time it doesn't matter imo,but 5 better quality speakers over 3 makes a difference if you are into music,and the speakers do get better over time,and the Nav is getting better and being upgraded all the time foc,so one day it will be world class I;m sure.
Thanks Andy. It's good to hear that they update the system all the time.
Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may be in the minority, but I generally like iris. Compared to most car systems its great. Compared
To your phone, meh. But it's constantly improving. I like how it generally works and behaves in a phone like way. And I like how brutally straightforward it is.

The nav is very remedial, and worse, doesn't do traffic.

The media player is simple, but effective.

The sound is pretty good, and considering the engine noise, better than I thought.

The negativity is that iris is really at version 0.8. It's functional, shows some promise, but remedial.

The car is at a spinal tap 11 performance wise. The contrast is glaring and damning, and why I think you hear people hating on iris. But on its own, it ain't that bad.

Now is to worth 6k? My understanding is you get a physical speaker upgrade. I don't know anyone that's heard the near-non exist any standard 3 speaker system vs the meridian speakers. I do know the meridian sounds pretty good (again, considering the banshee wail of the engine).

Ultimately, you need to value it yourself nuki should be able to go to a dealer and play with it. I got it and am not sorry despite its outrageous price. It's serviceable. And relative to the other doodads (~8k for a carbon fiber air brake) it seemed almost reasonable. ;)

As always, YMMV.
Thanks for the positive feedback jkheit. After reading you guys comment, I'll go with it, especially that I now know that McLaren does update the system with time.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Thanks extremeride. What problem did you encounter with Bluetooth? Dropped signal or bad sound quality?
From within the car the sound quality was a bit crackly, my daughter stated that from her end everything was okay, the car was not running during this procedure. As mentioned I only ran a couple of test which were not thoroughly accurate, I need to perform more while the car is running and in motion. Cheers....??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Some notes from my experience.

At about the 100 hour listening mark, sound quality seemed to be noticeably better. I believe the Meridian speakers require burning in.

If you open both windows at least 1 inch, bass response improves noticeably.

Electronic music sounds better than rock. Not sure why.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
If you can have a car with out the IRIS, but retain the music option, that what I would go for. The phone system is crap, as for the Nav, a basic tom tom, is light years ahead.

My understanding is that the system to be fitted to 14MY Cars is totally different; including new hardware, whilst it runs through the existing screen, there is no chance of an upgrade. It’s just not physically possible.

As Usual, IMHO

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Some notes from my experience.

At about the 100 hour listening mark, sound quality seemed to be noticeably better. I believe the Meridian speakers require burning in.

If you open both windows at least 1 inch, bass response improves noticeably.

Electronic music sounds better than rock. Not sure why.
Because it's Electronic music! ;) Love Techno!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Seems to me the choice of Iris in its current form is about residuals as more than 90% of second hand cars will have Iris and be seen as desirable with little price difference........non Iris cars will be less desirable simply because it is a common feature readily available.

However I can see Mclaren completely changing Iris as it is the main area of dissatisfaction and Doris will finally take her place in the near term , after all sport car owners are like tarts, switching brands for the latest and blingtastic offer so when Mclaren finally fix Iris/Doris the car will be perfect.

Spin a coin but get Iris......it is OK but not worth the cost just the resale impact........I'm suffering post holiday trauma today so excuse my negative outlook.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If and when they get the system 100% and stable i still think it will be excellent.
When it is excellent - then there's a slight possibility that it may affect residuals and desirability over a car without.
Occasionally I see how good the system can be and is inspires me, currently I could do with or without it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hello and cheers on the car being so close to build...

My car was delivered 2 weeks ago. And I concur with the opinions voiced so far. I believe that the sound quality on the meridian system is top notch. But then again I am a huge fan of English speakers(Kef, Monitor) I just like their low profile sound.

As for the nav. It is a beta at best. It really isn't a navigation system as much as it's a geography quiz game. I have had one experience where the system actually worked. Otherwise I've gotten close on wits and used google maps to get to my destination.

The Bluetooth connection is ok and clear on the other end. A tiny bit crackly on your end.

It could use satellite radio, just for the wifey.

But the bottom line is that it will get fixed through some path. As it stands now, I don't believe it can be written off by Ron as the price of being "early adopters". So I would get it on the premise that it will be fixed eventually. Far too much effort has been expended to not have this facet of this jewel of a conveyance also shine. IMHO.

Just last night my friend who has a 458 that is spec'd very close to my x, came by and we went for a spirited run, swapped and did it again. I'm now taking him to Mclaren of Long Island Friday. Having not driven the 458 in over a month and getting in one and driving it was further confirmation of my choice.

Further, the sound of the system on the Fezza doesn't hold a candle to the sound on the Mac. That is for the 2 minutes I messed with it. Then both of us shut them down and we enjoyed the wail from behind us for the trip.

Congrats and I recommend getting the iris system.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all of you guys for the great feedback. I'm now a lot more comfortable getting the system. Cheers!

·
Owner
893 Posts
Seems to me the choice of Iris in its current form is about residuals as more than 90% of second hand cars will have Iris and be seen as desirable with little price difference........non Iris cars will be less desirable simply because it is a common feature readily available.

However I can see Mclaren completely changing Iris as it is the main area of dissatisfaction and Doris will finally take her place in the near term , after all sport car owners are like tarts, switching brands for the latest and blingtastic offer so when Mclaren finally fix Iris/Doris the car will be perfect.

Spin a coin but get Iris......it is OK but not worth the cost just the resale impact........I'm suffering post holiday trauma today so excuse my negative outlook.
I've spoken with a couple of people who might be interested in my 12C when I'm ready to sell ..... I told them upfront: I don't have navigation, bluetooth*, iris ...... You know what they said?? "Who cares, I'm looking for performance not a fancy stereo or other bling". I can price my car lower than those folks who loaded up with wallet draining 'bling' options.
So, maybe there are some people who must have all these added gadgets, but there are just as many others (I've found) who want one thing and one thing only: Rip roaring performance; ancillary fluff is not their interest.
*Currently there is even some talk now of banning even hands-free use of telephones in cars so enjoy blutooth while you still can.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've spoken with a couple of people who might be interested in my 12C when I'm ready to sell ..... I told them upfront: I don't have navigation, bluetooth*, iris ...... You know what they said?? "Who cares, I'm looking for performance not a fancy stereo or other bling". I can price my car lower than those folks who loaded up with wallet draining 'bling' options.
So, maybe there are some people who must have all these added gadgets, but there are just as many others (I've found) who want one thing and one thing only: Rip roaring performance; ancillary fluff is not their interest.
*Currently there is even some talk now of banning even hands-free use of telephones in cars so enjoy blutooth while you still can.
I agree. I don't have IRIS and I'm kind of glad (just the standard unit is frustrating enough) . I'm not likely to be driving anywhere with the 12C that I need nav, and if I do, I've always got an external unit/iPhone. The standard radio is more than adequate. I'd rather have a stock non-working unit, than the expensive non-working unit.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Health and safety!! Next they will want to ban your wife from speaking to you in the car??:D;) .......................Where do I vote those guys in!!

·
Owner
893 Posts
Health and safety!! Next they will want to ban your wife from speaking to you in the car??:D;) .......................Where do I vote those guys in!!
Nanny State World ...... Andy, do you know that in New York City they wanted to ban large size sodas? They tell you what you can eat and drink .... and, how big the portions should be. Next (as they once did 40 years ago) they will tell you how much horsepower your car can have. This is getting out of control.
Aldous Huxley had it right!:D

1 - 20 of 88 Posts