McLaren Life banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowing down used 720s options. Had never even thought about the glass on the tops of the door until I just fell upon another thread. So, the question:
For resale, preference, popularity, comfort, whatever... Which is preferred?
The only thing I can think right now is somewhere like Phoenix where super hot, No glass may be better.
Please enlighten me on your experiences - and thank you!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Narrowing down used 720s options. Had never even thought about the glass on the tops of the door until I just fell upon another thread. So, the question:
For resale, preference, popularity, comfort, whatever... Which is preferred?
The only thing I can think right now is somewhere like Phoenix where super hot, No glass may be better.
Please enlighten me on your experiences - and thank you!
The vast majority have the gorilla glass. It is very rare to have the carbon roof. I had a launch spec that came with the carbon roof. If I had it my way; I would have gone the gorilla glass way. The earlier cars with gorilla glass did have a cracking glass issue. I don't see much postings of that anymore as they seem to have fixed the problem.

However, here is some info from outside these forums (i/g story of mine and a response from another owner).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But there’s also a non glass, non Carbon, solid roof also right? Just a black solid roof?

·
Registered
427 Posts
wouldn't get glass in arizona or anywhere with a lot of sun. carbon or solid roof is the way to go.
glass always impresses at car shows though!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The glass is a cool feature, I have it on my 2019 720. Would be Ok with the Carbon as well, but I do like the more open feel of the glass roof, makes the cabin feel more open for sure. The tint is pretty dark, during the summer I had no issues with heat or being to bright. I think overall I would have it and I think it is well worth it. However since so few ordered the Carbon, that would be a cool option that would be somewhat more rare, as there are not as many from what I have seen...

·
Registered
922 Posts
But there’s also a non glass, non Carbon, solid roof also right? Just a black solid roof?
Yes. My coupe had the plain black roof. Non carbon fiber. I think it looked good on silver
And black. I had lux spec so inside was leather padded. In my opinion it’s not needed to have the glass roof. (Not a deal breaker IMO) It’s only dark in cabin if you do less than 35% tint all around.

I have the glass roof on my spider and again. I could take it or lesve it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the glass roof. It cracked and was replaced under warranty.

I would always chose it again. The open feel of the 720s cabin is what realy sets its design apart from other supercars. The glass roof enhances that feel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was the option i definitely wanted as i love it from the inside the car. 4k miles so far and no issues whatsoever, couple friends have same and no issues on theirs either as one of them at 14k miles. I saw at Mclaren dealer service department a carbon one cracked from possible closing harshly, very expensive piece and was not covered by warranty of course. Owner was not happy at all.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Man I’m really struggling on this one. I live in a climate similar, but just a bit less hot. I won’t daily drive it so not way way concerned about heat. More concerned with resale.
Tough decision...

·
Registered
922 Posts
Thanks everyone. Man I’m really struggling on this one. I live in a climate similar, but just a bit less hot. I won’t daily drive it so not way way concerned about heat. More concerned with resale.
Tough decision...
if you do private party resale then yeah options matter... but dealerships don't care. You just got to find car with the roof to see if its worth waiting for the right spec vs without.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I live in Texas. Have a glass roof. No problem with heat at all. AC works fine and the tiny cabin cools very fast. Glass roof adds to spacious, canopy feeling inside. You should definitely get it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Glass tends to break, search forum here to see. Carbon roof is the way to go, I had carbon roof and didn't have a single issue for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Under
Glass tends to break, search forum here to see. Carbon roof is the way to go, I had carbon roof and didn't have a single issue for obvious reasons.
Under this theory, you should order a carbon fiber windshield.

Get glass. The cockpit is way more spaceship-feeling with it. If it cracks (small likelihood), McLaren will replace it for free under warranty. And that's a low probability event. It can happen, but just because it does and folks whine about it on this forum, doesn't make it a high probability event.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glass Upper Doors is the way to go! If sun is a problem, I would use a ceramic coated window film which reflects the heat, and you have the option of further increasing the tint.

·
Owner
369 Posts
It is a personal preference.
  • The carbon roof is a bit lighter in weight - only 2 lbs for both sides.
  • The gorilla glass definitely yields more of an open feel and is a cool feature.
  • The gorilla glass DOES crack. Some more than others but it is actually due to the gluing process.
  • New glue is available since November 2019 so if your glass is replaced after that, chances are you will be ok - if before, you could still suffer from repeated cracks. There are people that haven't had any issues with them, but there are also people that have had 3 or even 4 sets replaced under warranty.
I have the glass ones and really enjoy them, but, I think I would be ok w/the carbon ones as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I inspected a car here in OZ that had the revised glass (replaced corning to isoclima) and the isoclima was cracked aswell, not sure if service/installer fault or once again issues with the manufacturer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts