McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
So ceramics are over £10k... any comments or hints? :(
Most have said that 80% of cars are spec'd without ceramic brakes. If you like the look of the bigger rotors, and hate brake dust, get them. If not, plenty of stopping power available with the standard brakes.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Most have said that 80% of cars are spec'd without ceramic brakes. If you like the look of the bigger rotors, and hate brake dust, get them. If not, plenty of stopping power available with the standard brakes.
What you've mentioned above would be my exact reasons for getting them I love the big rotors and the dustless aspect. Unfortunately or fortunately I do not have ceramic brakes, if I could I would try and get larger iron rotors and 6 piston calipers. Cheers....??

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have standard brakes, and am very pleased. I've driven std and ceramics back to back on the track, and was hard pressed to feel the difference. Keep in mind, though, I'm not a professional driver and drive nowhere near the limits of the car. I would definitely not spend the extra cash for the ceramics. IMHO... Very expensive cosmetic option for the great majority of 12c, non-professional driver, owners.:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went with CCBs - my first set on a road car ever - and will never go back. I think it is worth the extra money over the brake dust alone. That might sound crazy, but I've cleaned far too many dust-coated calipers and wheels and the difference is huge. I'd also say that the CCBs look better (they fill the space inside the wheel better) and work about the same as iron for most applications. The only exception is when iron brakes fade due to heat buildup on the track.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I went with CCBs - my first set on a road car ever - and will never go back. I think it is worth the extra money over the brake dust alone. That might sound crazy, but I've cleaned far too many dust-coated calipers and wheels and the difference is huge. I'd also say that the CCBs look better (they fill the space inside the wheel better) and work about the same as iron for most applications. The only exception is when iron brakes fade due to heat buildup on the track.
Hey N8te I can appreciate what you've stated above, I feel the same way about keeping the rims and calipers clean a freaking pain in the ass. I had asked to get my setup switched but after doing the math it just didn't make any sense. Well enjoy your rim filled, dustless CCB system and drive with pride. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's more of a trackday thing, if you track your car alot and spend a bit of time on the track the CCBs are the choice to go with, no fade and they're more durable for track use. Other than that, the iron brakes should be good enough.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It's more of a trackday thing, if you track your car alot and spend a bit of time on the track the CCBs are the choice to go with, no fade and they're more durable for track use. Other than that, the iron brakes should be good enough.
I have heard the reverse, if you track your car with ceramic brakes, you need special pads, as street pads will deteriorate quickly. Then you run the risk of running the pads down too low, and damaging the expensive rotors. Or you get unlucky, and brake too late and get into a gravel trap and chip one of the rotors.

Most guys that track alot from what I have heard put on better steel rotors and special track pads, as well as running higher temp. brake fluid.

·
Registered
886 Posts
There are no special ceramic pads for the track here. If you are concerned about the cost of the Ccb brakes then don't get them. They are not necessary based on all the reports. I do enjoy mine, but they are expensive.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
There are no special ceramic pads for the track here. If you are concerned about the cost of the Ccb brakes then don't get them. They are not necessary based on all the reports. I do enjoy mine, but they are expensive.
Talk with Rad (F430GT) over on Fchat, you are taking a risk. Street pads are not designed for track use. I have a hard time believing McLaren's stock pads are much different than Ferrari's.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I have heard the reverse, if you track your car with ceramic brakes, you need special pads, as street pads will deteriorate quickly. Then you run the risk of running the pads down too low, and damaging the expensive rotors. Or you get unlucky, and brake too late and get into a gravel trap and chip one of the rotors.

Most guys that track alot from what I have heard put on better steel rotors and special track pads, as well as running higher temp. brake fluid.
That is exactly true and the reason I went with steel brakes rather than ceramics, even if the latter would offer better fading resistance.

Also I know of a 12C that has been tracked extensively and needed new cc rotors and pads all round after only 4000km. Very expensive.

McLaren brake pads are street pads, otherwise they would squeel like every good track pad does (due to the amount of metal used in the compound).

What I still don't get is why McLaren skipped the brake cooling duct for the steel brakes as they obviously would benefit from additional cooling. While I understand that the cooling needs for cc are different than for steel (more air towards the calipers and pads rather than the center of the rotor), I would have been a very welcome feature. Will ask the dealer if it can be retrofitted.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would suggest the ceramic brakes. I've bedded in the ceramic brakes on my MP4 and it works much better than the 458. Fade free at track and stops effectively when cold.

458's ceramic brakes need to be warmed up in order to bite effectively even though I have bedded them in.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you can afford them buy them.

They do help to reduce brake dust build up.

They look better.

They last longer (in theory)

They could well help resale value.

On track, if used properly will provide very consistent feel and braking performance.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Lack of brake dust the main reason to get them, closely followed by bling factor.

I went the cheapo route and went with stealth wheels and a can of brake dust repellent. Works like a charm.;)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Both are great braking systems, really depends on how you use the car. Personally speaking, if you've ever reached the end of a straight on track at over 150 MPH and been welcomed by a soft brake pedal or fade, the extra cost of ceramics suddenly becomes very small indeed.

Looks are secondary for me, but I cannot lie the ceramics look amazing filling up the wheels and I do stare and smile at them, myself.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Lack of brake dust the main reason to get them, closely followed by bling factor.

I went the cheapo route and went with stealth wheels and a can of brake dust repellent. Works like a charm.;)

Bargin at only $9000 per can:D

Think i will look this up Ritesh,thnks for posting!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
still an interesting debate this one....
I remember boiling my standard brakes at 601 miles after a stop from 150 + ... thinking uh oh should have gone for ceramics, but equally now the car is older and wiser, big stops on big tracks have not been a problem, and the brakes are better than ever...
service didn't reveal any issues regarding replacement pads or so forth... which equally surprised me... perhaps I am more jenson than lewis... (lewis who?)
interested to read markjayw and mcdc's comments re ceramic pads... I wasn't aware of that which would I guess put me more firmly into having the standards again next time round..

·
Registered
623 Posts
What I still don't get is why McLaren skipped the brake cooling duct for the steel brakes as they obviously would benefit from additional cooling. While I understand that the cooling needs for cc are different than for steel (more air towards the calipers and pads rather than the center of the rotor), I would have been a very welcome feature. Will ask the dealer if it can be retrofitted.
We are often of the same opinion, when we're talking about tracking the mp4 :)

i 've got mine since december 2011 and it is my second pair of front disc (right now), after around 7 trackdays and 12000kms) i am pleased to see that steel pads are very cheap, and iron disc too.

i've never experienced any braking problem, as i say often the temperature of the tyres (p0 std) is the first problem.

this year, i'll try PSS with perhaps RS29 pagid pads, to improve the grip and perhaps to avoid the abs excessive intrusion.

anyway if i think i am no too slow with my car, as i try to enhance my skill time after time , i don,t stay too much time on the track to "save" the car.

but your're right i dont understand why mcl didnt put improved cool duct for the iron disc,

1 - 20 of 86 Posts