McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just finished tracking the Mac for the first time. It was a blast. The only downer is I cut a few of my sessions short because I got Tire Fault displays, which said to stop the car. Guys who have mentioned overheating tires at the track, is this the fault reading you get? Went away after each cool down period and has not come back on so assume it was overheating (especially in the Texas heat), but would feel better if someone else could confirm.

Assuming it was overheating, any ideas for the occasional track guy like me who does not want to change out tires just to go to the track? Running the Pirelli PZeros. Maybe run a cool down lap every third lap?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I've tracked mine in Texas about ten times now and never had an issue ( except when I split a front and buckled a wheel in a pothole at TWS - got the "stop car immediately" then!
What temps wre you reading? I've had my tires too hot to touch and nice and "marbley" without any warnings, maybe the alarm setting is adjustable via the dash?

·
Registered
219 Posts
if you exceed 36psi, the warning lights will pop up telling you to stop the car. the thing freaked me out the first time i went out on the track with the Mclaren but after reading the manual, it was simply due to high pressures.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not decrease the tire pressure before the track, but let out a few pounds after I got the first fault (to about 30 psi on front). I could not get into the menu right away after the fault message so not sure what the pressure or temp was at that point in time. When I checked after the car sat for awhile, the readings were all in the green (and no fault).

RC -- I read the other post before I posted, but I did not see the answer to my question, which is whether the fault message I received was caused by high temp or pressure, or both. I have seen posts where folks have said their tires "overheated" but it was unclear whether these folks got the same fault message I got.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Tyre fault can be either but likely pressure in your case... if you don't drop pressures before you track the first thing to give you the error is pressure most likely

Either way RT it's not a fault per se, but just the car telling you you need to make adjustment for optimum performance. You will notice significant improvement in grip when you drop the pressure to where they should be.. lot less like driving on ice!

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Also did you try pressing the little button in on the end of the menu stalk? That should let you acknowledge the message and get back to the menu. i.e. to check the pressure display.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6th -- don't think I did push the button on the end. Will try that if it ever happens again. I will definitely drop the air pressure next time. Did not really want to mess with the pressure initially because dealer filled with nitrogen and did not want to fill with plain ole oxygen, but not a big deal.

Anyone know what the trigger point is for when the tire temp will trigger the message? AZ says over 36 psi does it for pressure.

·
Registered
367 Posts
if you exceed 36psi, the warning lights will pop up telling you to stop the car. the thing freaked me out the first time i went out on the track with the Mclaren but after reading the manual, it was simply due to high pressures.
Are you sure? Could temperature also be a factor?
It is virtually guaranteed you will exceed 36 pounds if you don't remove air before a fast lap. My pzeros were 37 even after cooldown. No alarm.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i recall when the alarm sounded i checked the tire pressures on the menu and the rear tires were at 36 and one above it and were color red. as soon as the pressure gone below that, the warning turned off. i now recall checking the tire temps as well and it was color green.

i'm assuming that's what caused it. temperature becomes a factor as the warmer the tire is, the higher the pressure will be. but on the track, i think the warning will be related more to exceeding the set max tire pressure on the system

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just looked at manual again. The manual says front tires should be at 38 psi for over 165 mph so it does not makes sense that pressure alone above 36 would trigger the fault message.

Tex mongrel - did you track in the summer heat? What tires do you run?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had a few of the same tire warnings at MSRC last month on 98deg sunny days. Pressing the OK button on the stalk let me get rid of some of them, but the main thing to minimize the warnings was adjusting pressures throughout the day to make sure they stayed in a good range (like with any car). It did seem like the acceptable "green" pressure range per the computer varied with temperature, although I can't recall any specifics. I was on the Corsas which I used up at an alarming rate but enjoyed every moment of it.
I do recall that I had fewer tire warning messages in early sessions (all the while adjusting pressures each session) at TWS when I was on PZeros. I wonder if the "green" range is wider for the PZeros? Or maybe the fact that it wasn't 1billion degrees outside when I went to TWS earlier in the year has something to do with it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Matt. That is very helpful and good to know that I am not the only one to see such a warning in the Texas heat. I would think that there must be some combo of pressure and temperature that sets off the warning. While pressure and temp are certainly related while driving, one can adjust pressure without impacting temp (I could overinflate a tire cold, or removing air from tire would still leave the same temp as to the remaining air). I was under the impression the corsas could run hotter than the PZeros, but I don't know that for a fact.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had the same thing at MSRC last Saturday. I started at 30 psi cold (car indicated 32 psi, so I do wonder about accuracy), and after 30 minute session was over 41 psi! Yikes! I think I probably need to start about 26-28 psi cold and take it very easy until you get pressures to about 32 psi. I also wish that the tire pressure display would stay on when selected so you could watch pressures come up. The left display home page is useless on track.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll agree that I would prefer tire temps/pressures or other useful info on the lefthand screen when on track. I also wish I could disable that high tire pressure warning while on track as it seems to really concern curious passengers.

How quick are you guys going through tires on track in this heat? I put about 6 hours on Corsas at MSRC over 2 days, and they were pretty ragged. Drove home on them with no concerns, but they probably didn't have another trackday in them. Wondering if others are similar or if I'm just hard on tires?

Last but not least, I'll be interested to get back to TWS at some point and compare Corsa vs. PZero on the same track. I ran PZeros at TWS earlier this year and the car was a bit loose when the tires came up to temp. Corsas at MSRC were awesome, but got a bit pushy when really hot. We're talking about very small handling differences - the car still corners unlike anything else I've driven - but the difference was noticeable. I'm not skilled enough to know if this difference is due to the tires, track surface, my inconsistent driving style, etc. Anyone with more knowledge/experience care to chime in on this?

·
Registered
239 Posts
For me, the car is fun on track but that is more of a novelty. I have dedicated race and track cars for getting serious and for the regular abuse of hard track use. A street car on track is filled with compromises and is overly expensive to boot. For example, the stupid 20" wheels that the exotic car fashion accessory consumer just HAS to have make it impossible to mount slicks. I shredded my Pzeros in a couple of sessions, which is about what I expected.

The McLaren is great on track and fun, but I will not run it more than a few times a year.

The Radical SR8 has nice 15 and 16" wheels, readily available slicks, and is so much faster than any street car that it's what I drive when I feel the need for REAL speed. No street car comes even close. At COTA I've done a 2:09. MSRC 1.7 CCW 1:09. MSRC 3.1 2:05. It's like being in a tiem warp compared to the Mac.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you do that Chris?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts