McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im getting ready to have McLaren Philly tint my windows. Still deciding if I should go with the ceramic nano partical tints from Huper Optik or Photosync from Prestige.
Im concern about tinting the rear hatch window. I looked on the forum and it seems most people dont tint it. I prefer to tint it all, but worried that the heat from the engine will melt or mess it up. Anyone tint their rear hatch window that covers the engine?
thx,
lc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Not great Calvin,you wont be able to see those guys following you so well !!!! Seems no point as you have a second window anyway and then you wont be able to look at your engine bay either?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahah Andy,
I dont mind not seeing the engine bay. Its a 35% tint. I just like the stealth look since I got it in carbon black. Looks kinda weird having only side windows tinted.
lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
You will get horrible glare/reflections off of it at night basically blinding/eliminating your rearward visibility. The daytime darkness is fine and unless it is very early/late in the day and the sun is on the horizon and behind you you will see no benefit to tint. No one can see in the car thru the engine window anyway.

I paid for this on my FGT and Esprit both, wound up removing it for reasons above. My 12c has no tint in rear window and sunlight / privacy are not an issue. Once you darken the windows the inside becomes so dark compared to outside that people cannot see in the car from the rear window.

Save the $100-150 from the rear window, or not. I wasted money before, now I know better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx guys. I appreciate the feedback. Should I tint that small window behind the seats? So sun from back dont cause too much heat? Or will visibility be bad as well?
lc

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
The small window behind the seats is the one I've been talking about, sorry for confusion. I think the engine cover glass tint would melt! Why cover that $9k in carbon? Show it off :D

As far as heat and light goes... Look where I live.... Trust me when I say you will be just fine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't tint either of the rear windows. The interior rear window is SO small, tint would not provide any less heat protection from the sun.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The small window behind the seats is the one I've been talking about, sorry for confusion. I think the engine cover glass tint would melt! Why cover that $9k in carbon? Show it off :D

As far as heat and light goes... Look where I live.... Trust me when I say you will be just fine.
Don't tint either of the rear windows. The interior rear window is SO small, tint would not provide any less heat protection from the sun.
This X 2!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Has anyone tinted the small inside rear window with success, I'm just wondering if the heat generated by the engine could create any issues? I would love to tint it so as to makes the interior a little bit darker. :) Cheers......

·
Professional Bum
252 Posts
Has anyone tinted the small inside rear window with success, I'm just wondering if the heat generated by the engine could create any issues? I would love to tint it so as to makes the interior a little bit darker. :) Cheers......
You will get night time glare/reflection in it - very unpleasant. What I mentioned above in post 5

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You will get night time glare/reflection in it - very unpleasant. What I mentioned above in post 5
Thats not the answer I'm seeking, I want solutions so is there anyway to overcome this scenario thats been mentioned by FZ and I'm not talking about The Frank Zappa, God rest his soul. Cheers.....

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Decided to go with 35% Prestige Photosync tints on all windows except the rear window hatch.
It should be interesting. Tints changes to darker from the intensity of the sun and lightens up at night. Its being tinted by mclaren philly.

Here is the link to the tint: http://www.prestige-films.com/auto_photosync.shtml

lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
My MP4 is Fire Black - very close in color and looks very stealthy :)

Might want to drive it a bit - if you are really worried about heat go with ceramics.

Here are some pics of mine and I tint almost every car but for the Mac
Man, Doug, that first picture by the brick, the car is so shiny it looks like its liquid. Is that with the Xpel on it? How'd you get it so shiny? Great job!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts