McLaren Life banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just over 12,000 miles on my 2014 MP412C and while they have plenty of tread, the date codes are way beyond the safe zone. Obviously I drive like a wuss, but give me a break, I'm 70 years old. So should I just replace the PZero's or go with something else? I never track it and frankly, rarely go over the speed limit. Also, what should I expect to spend out-the-door for the new tires, install, road force balancing and new alignment? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if you really drive as described and they are not cracking,checked,still hold air and not shedding pieces down the road, just keep on using them.
if you were a hard or more track driver then yes, replacement would be good.
alignment is not really needed unless you notice uneven wear.
you'd be fine going back with pirellis although the general consensus says michelins are superior.
tire rack or other store can get you a better idea on pricing. figure another $200 or so for mount/balance.
road force is not necessary.
alignment can be $90 to 800 and more depending...

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,669 Posts
I've just over 12,000 miles on my 2014 MP412C and while they have plenty of tread, the date codes are way beyond the safe zone. Obviously I drive like a wuss, but give me a break, I'm 70 years old. So should I just replace the PZero's or go with something else? I never track it and frankly, rarely go over the speed limit. Also, what should I expect to spend out-the-door for the new tires, install, road force balancing and new alignment? Thanks for your help in advance.
where do you live. Weather you encounter makes a difference wrt recommendations.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I just replaced the original tires on a ‘13 Spider I just purchased. It only had 9500 miles and the tires had plenty of tread left but they were almost 8 yrs old. Not acceptable for the type of driving I will be doing. Michelin PS4’s installed and balanced was around $1600 at an independent shop. They tried to align it but a jam nut on a rear toe link was seized and they couldn’t address it without removing the lower panel. I later went to a dealer to have my leaking front struts replaced and while there I had them do it for “no charge” since I was getting bent over re: the struts. Normally I’ve heard dealers charge upwards of $800-900 because the lower panel needs to be removed to align the rear properly. Car is totally different now, handles really well.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
As long as there is no visible damage or cracking, they're probably fine for at least a couple more years. However, new tyres will be much better. In your position, I'd throw on a set of Michelin PS4S.

Unless there's a problem (e.g. uneven wear, pulling to one side), I wouldn't do an alignment. It's ~$800 at the stealership, and I wouldn't trust a generic place to do it without prior experience with them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When you do replace them make sure to replace the TPS sensors, the batteries don't last forever and they are cheap if you get them other than Mclaren dealer.

Your not the only old guy here that drives like that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you do replace them make sure to replace the TPS sensors, the batteries don't last forever and they are cheap if you get them other than Mclaren dealer.

Your not the only old guy here that drives like that.
Ah, thank you for that. You are very kind. I'm sometimes embarrassed at the delta between what this car is capable of and the degree to which I push it.

Reactions: p2164

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,669 Posts
Phoenix, AZ
If you are looking for a new tire the Michelin PS4S is a great choice where you get some rain here and there. You could get away with a more aggressive tire (like the Michelin Cup2), I suspect, if you wanted to if Phoenix is as dry as I suspect it is. But considering your usage, the Michelin PS4S is probably what you want to get. It will be a big upgrade over the original PZero and should last longer than the original.

That said, I suspect most folks are right, that if you dont see cracking etc, and youre not one to push your car anyway, you probably could get away with another year if you wanted to. Personally, I am conservative with my tires after having had a blow out at over 120...I've learned never to ignore tires. As always, YMMV.

And lovely collection you have there. I LOVE the original NSX.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ah, thank you for that. You are very kind. I'm sometimes embarrassed at the delta between what this car is capable of and the degree to which I push it.
Amen to that! Us old guys know the difference between a hospital bed and an eazy chair. :D Here is a picture of my line up at the present time, the 78 928 is almost done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amen to that! Us old guys know the difference between a hospital bed and an eazy chair. :D Here is a picture of my line up at the present time, the 78 928 is almost done. View attachment 207964
Wow! Aware photo and what a great collection. For me, once you have several cars like this you have a collection. Then I had to start thinking of why it’s a real collection, and not just several cars hanging out in the garage together. I wrote about that here. Essentially its Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Ayton Senna, light weight, shared engineering objectives and a lot of other things. Its a ways down the page if/when you try to find that bit. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow! Aware photo and what a great collection. For me, once you have several cars like this you have a collection. Then I had to start thinking of why it’s a real collection, and not just several cars hanging out in the garage together. I wrote about that here. Essentially its Colin Chapman, Gordon Murray, Ayton Senna, light weight, shared engineering objectives and a lot of other things. Its a ways down the page if/when you try to find that bit. :)
The white aston martin is my wife's car, the 208 turbo Ferrari I've had for 26 years, the 78 is the newest but we also have a 79 which I put a year into. If your ever in NW Arkansas and the virus has subsided shoot me a message and I'll give you a tour.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good!

·
Registered
2012 MP4-12C and 2018 720S
21 Posts
I imagine you've squared this away by now, but add me to the group of folks who support the PS4S idea. I was on stock P-Zero for 5,000 miles or so, and though I knew they weren't great, I had no idea exactly how bad they were. PS4S is the only tire to my knowledge that you can safely install without having to deal with spacers, fender liners, etc. It took months of research before I settled on my decision, but John Thorney ultimately put me straight, and I wish I had could have saved myself those months of agony.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I imagine you've squared this away by now, but add me to the group of folks who support the PS4S idea. I was on stock P-Zero for 5,000 miles or so, and though I knew they weren't great, I had no idea exactly how bad they were. PS4S is the only tire to my knowledge that you can safely install without having to deal with spacers, fender liners, etc. It took months of research before I settled on my decision, but John Thorney ultimately put me straight, and I wish I had could have saved myself those months of agony.
Thanks. Very helpful. I've still not replaced the tires, based on comments that given the way I drive it, its not a rush. But it looks like the PS4S are the way to go, have them Road Force balanced and don't bother with an alignment. That is my conclusion at the moment. And make sure to replace the TPSs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts