McLaren Life banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it has been mentioned already, but:

"I've already been told I won't be able to drive any more McLarens."
Is Mclaren doing the same what Ferrari does?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Seems to me some pretty sour grapes from old Tiff, there. Had he taken a few moments to learn the nuances of the car before passing his juvenile judgement, he might have earned some credibility and avoided the backlash. I'm particularly amused by how he blames the stability systems for throwing him off the road. Presumably the same stability systems that helped the Stig to put down the record Top Gear lap time. I doubt his claim that he won't be able to drive any more McLarens is true - he is probably just saying that for hype.

p.s. His comments about Pre-Cog are obviously to save face in the eyes of any viewer that watches his in-car video. You can clearly see him tap at the paddle, instead of pulling it firmly, and subsequently he blows his shifts and therefore the slides he was trying to pull off. If you practice it once or twice, the Pre-Cog detent is simple to find and easy to trigger instantaneous shifts 100% of the time.

p.p.s. His opinion on turbocharging is ridiculous and to me only suggests that he and Jason has a pre-conceived idea to slam the car before they even drove it. A buyer of a 200 grand car doesn't care about fuel consumption (perhaps), so then doesn't want a turbo motor?? What about a Veyron, then, for over a million? The M838T is one of the best features of the car - the turbo power delivery is beyond intoxicating. If Tiff learned how to shift the thing properly, maybe he could have stayed on boost and experienced that for himself.

p.p.p.s. All of his comments relating to the 458 are completely moot, as being a member of the press, he has probably never driven a 458 representative of what a customer would actually receive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
An interesting youtube statistic that probably goes some way to help us understand why McLaren are not bothered about giving Tiff another car...

The 5th Gear review of the 12C - 22,633 views.
Fenton the dog - 4,997,710 views.

Enough said!

·
Registered
292 Posts
They will not let him drive McLarens? This is beyond pathetic. Another Ferrari-like BS. Very sad. Tiff might be an idiot and have a stupid take, but it's not car companies' job to censor journalists, even when they are idiots.

I fully agree on turbocharging. Even though what McLaren did with the engine is very impressive, a highly stressed N/A engine would be more fun, both sound and performance-wise. Mileage or Co2 production is truly irrelevant for cars like that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
They will not let him drive McLarens? This is beyond pathetic. Another Ferrari-like BS. Very sad. Tiff might be an idiot and have a stupid take, but it's not car companies' job to censor journalists, even when they are idiots.

I fully agree on turbocharging. Even though what McLaren did with the engine is very impressive, a highly stressed N/A engine would be more fun, both sound and performance-wise. Mileage or Co2 production is truly irrelevant for cars like that.
Trying to hang onto Monkey Harris's coat tails - no chance, Chris (Harris) was man enough to diss ferrari and told never to darken their step again.

Sadly mpg and Co2 are very relevent these days, with all of the greens out there and I must confess, a few more miles per gallon does offset the huge purchase price, as I'm far from being too rich to worry about such things.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts

Cmon guys dont be so gullible. Notice he says "I've been told" not "McLaren told me...".

Krzys, drive your 12C for a week and then tell me how fun the M838T is. I'm not even through break-in and already there is no way I'd swap for a NA motor.

ps McLaren fully acknowledges fuel economy is not relevant for everybody. It's the use of technology to achieve efficiency that is their focus.

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
Seeing the 5th Gear test of the MP4-12C by Tiff & Jason awhile back, it was obvious that they were sensationalizing and adding some seasoning & sizzle to the already-stirring pot. Much like Chris Harris being so unequivocally bemused w/ the GT3-RS_4.0, what's good for them (Tiff & Jason egregiously fancying the 458 Italia) truly has minimal- if any, bearing on my preference, choice, and desire.

Anywayz...

A big marketing/selling point stateside was the avoidance of the "gas-guzzler tax" which is a token excise on top of the MSRP. It was a statement more-or-less to the clientele accustomed to seeing such on their ultra-luxo GT's/coupes, sedans/saloons, and exotic/performance sportscars. It's like McLaren saying, hey- we not only are offering a CF chassis, a hydraulic suspension, a precog transmission, brake steer... all of which are w/o equal in this segment- but it's also efficiently & economically executed.

Not to mention doing such w/o D.I. & no other platform offerings in the current marketplace to offset the current & forthcoming ever-stringent CAFE requirements pegged to manufacturers.

High-performance exotic & super-car manufacturers are gonna have to play an evolving balancing act between unparalleled performance but in a technologically efficient manner.

Not sure how many V12's & V10's will offered by the end of the decade. . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts