McLaren Life banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

So I'm getting to the point in my life where I will likely be having kids soon, and just generally needing to live my life much more conservatively as an adult.

Before that all happens I do want to buy one sports car for myself to keep as my "forever" car. With the idea being a vehicle that will always put a smile on my face for literally years and years to come.

Initially I've had my eye on a Lotus Evora or I was thinking of a C8 Corvette, but I am worried about both cars in the long term.

The Evora honestly worries me from a maintenance/upkeep perspective. Looks like they have lots of silly problems, dealer coverage is sparse, and honestly the dealers that do exist feel a little sketchy. Likewise, while I love the Evora from a driving dynamics perspective it is on the slower side of things so I'm not sure if I will end up getting the speed itch while owning one. While I don't car too much about interiors the Evora interior is aging quickly so I'm just worried that in a few years the car is going to feel old and outdated.

I'm a Corvette guy at heart and while I enjoyed the C8 Z51 I test drove I think it's worth holding out for the Z06. My only problem is that I honestly had issues with the C8's ergonomics (the steering wheel is awkward and the car just feels wide and hard to drive). While I think it's a great step forward for the Corvette, it just didn't quite feel like the exotic I think it was trying to be. I'm really worried that GM is going to make the Z06 C8 mostly good but have small little GM touches to neuter the experience like they do with the other Corvettes I have been in. I also think over time a C8 Z06 won't feel that special down the road.

I honestly have never considered owning a McLaren (mostly due to cost) but seeing 570's in the $150K mark makes them somewhat obtainable for me to purchase. It would be a stretch...but a doable one.
I had a few questions I was hoping folks could help me answer.

1) I've heard a lot of horror stories about maintenance, McLaren's being maligned with random problems, and lack of proper dealer support to round off the equation. The good news is that I have a daily driver so I don't need constant reliability but when I want to go for a drive I want the car to function. I also really don't want be riddled with random $2K maintenance bills constantly. Is this just the wrong car for that kind of hope/expectation? I know every car/manufacturer but it honestly seems like there's a concerted number of youtubers going "don't buy a McLaren" and that sort of worries me.

2) How is the sound system? One of the big drawbacks for me of the Evora is that it has an antiquated sound system and I do like listening to tunes when I drive. I don't need it to be perfect or mind blowing but something somewhat worth listening too.

3) It seems like these cars are genuinely renown for their speed and handling. Is there anything about the driving experience that these are lacking? For instance I drove an R8 once and it was fast...but felt incredibly dull to me. Is there an itch that the 570S doesn't scratch?

4) Is the car fun to drive on the street? One thing I've noticed with higher end sports cars is that they have such high limits that they aren't really that fun to drive on the street. By the time the car sort of comes to life you're going 90+ and will likely be going to jail. Is this car fun at say 30-60? Not that I want to drive it slow per say...but a huge selling point of something like an Evora or 4C is that you can really enjoy the vehicle on the street even if it isn't objectively the fastest thing out there. I used to own a C7 Grandsport which was a great performer but it was so capable that you just didn't have fun in it until you were getting into dangerous highway speeds.

5) Is this car easy to drive? I heard it has great suspension damping on the street. How does it handle parking lots? Is the field of view from the windshield good? What about blind spots? Is it a handful to deal with? Or does it make an average joe feel like a super hero? Just curious on how "easy" and "intuitive" this car feels. I've found that difficult cars...while an experience...definitely begin to wane on me.

Thanks so much for all of the thoughts and input! Am brand new to the forum and would really enjoy to hear everyone's perspectives.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Every car I have ever purchased was going to be "kept forever" and while initially that was the idea you will slowly find other things interesting. What I would say is that there is more value in owning a various cars and with the right amount of planning you should be able to do it fairly affordably. Buy cars that can be driven for e year or two and sold at a reasonable loss. Older BMWs, Z06s, Vipers, Porsches would be in this category. (~60k cars)

Common Mclaren models are not those cars, they are generally high tech cars and age fairly quickly, require maintenance that is generally considered expensive and the depreciation isnt great.

Buying a car and stretching yourself isnt a good idea in general, there are always item that come up and having a spare budget is a good idea.

You can skew some of these general ideas by buying cars that have something that makes them less desirable and use that to your advantage (cars that need work, accident cars, weird color combos, weird history cars... ed bolian cars) but there is always a trade off there somewhere.

1. Maintenance is expensive if you dont DIY, parts are expensive, minor weird issues do happen but generally are not a problem, big issues are generally not common for cars that are driven and maintained well. If you DIY these cars become a lot more affordable.

2. I have a 12c with the upgraded system and its terrible but the only sound system I enjoy is the one out of the back of the car...

3/4/5. These cars are absolute beasts and extremely easy/entertaining to drive(especially fast). They are also very comfortable/live-able for an exotic even as a daily driver. They soak up bumps fairly well, shift smoothly, visibility and parking is good, door are annoying sometimes but that comes with the territory. Power delivery is very good which makes the car very effortless to drive in virtually any condition. Exhaust/dp do wake the car up a bit but this is a personal choice. Drive a few before you buy one.

I wanted an aventador and ended up with a 12c after driving one. 570 is more polished. reliable and cheaper to own being a newer/simpler car.

Tom

·
Registered
827 Posts
Before that all happens I do want to buy one sports car for myself to keep as my "forever" car. With the idea being a vehicle that will always put a smile on my face for literally years and years to come.
I honestly have never considered owning a McLaren (mostly due to cost) but seeing 570's in the $150K mark makes them somewhat obtainable for me to purchase. It would be a stretch...but a doable one.
Don't stretch for thse cars - they are worth it, but you can get some big bills. If you budget for an Extended Service Contract (~$5k per year now, increasing as the car ages), or save that amount, each year, you'll probably be alright, but you can't rule-out a big bill at some point. Personally, I'd buy a 12C and save the excess, just in case.

You can save a lot my doing your own work on these cars, but parts prices will bite you at some point. 200mph supercars aren't cheap to maintain and repair.
1) I've heard a lot of horror stories about maintenance, McLaren's being maligned with random problems, and lack of proper dealer support to round off the equation. The good news is that I have a daily driver so I don't need constant reliability but when I want to go for a drive I want the car to function. I also really don't want be riddled with random $2K maintenance bills constantly. Is this just the wrong car for that kind of hope/expectation? I know every car/manufacturer but it honestly seems like there's a concerted number of youtubers going "don't buy a McLaren" and that sort of worries me.
Parts prices match the new price (or worse - McLaren seems to want to make more money from parts as the cars age), not the current value. Stick to mass-market stuff, e.g. Corvette, if high parts prices scare you. Some parts can be found elsewhere at more reasonable prices, and there's a lot of DIY info on this site.

4) Is the car fun to drive on the street? One thing I've noticed with higher end sports cars is that they have such high limits that they aren't really that fun to drive on the street. By the time the car sort of comes to life you're going 90+ and will likely be going to jail. Is this car fun at say 30-60? Not that I want to drive it slow per say...but a huge selling point of something like an Evora or 4C is that you can really enjoy the vehicle on the street even if it isn't objectively the fastest thing out there. I used to own a C7 Grandsport which was a great performer but it was so capable that you just didn't have fun in it until you were getting into dangerous highway speeds.
I'd recommend something slower then. If you want to stay legal, and not track your car, you won't be getting the full driving experience. Full-throttle, 8500rpm, with both turbos on song, is sublime (12C), and, for me, invalidated every opinion that these cars don't sound good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and responses so far! Really great perspectives to have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've owned Ferrari, McLaren and now Lamborghini and my forever grow old with car is still the 458 Italia.

Reactions: zouk

·
Owner
535 Posts
That's a lot of thinking about something that is an emotional purchase.

Maintenance at the dealer is pricey. If you are experienced at doing your own work, they really aren't difficult to work on. Mine has been reliable and pretty much perfect after 2 years.

Sound system is great on mine w/the Bowers and Wilkens. But, I didn't buy a McLaren for the radio.

The performance of these cars is mind bending. After 30 years of Ferraris, with everything from 308s to an F40, I made the switch and I can't see looking back. But the reality is these are 6 sec to 100mph cars. 30-60 is a yawn. The cars were obviously engineered by guys that love driving fast. The cars do everything well, but there is a connection and every drive is special and an event. If you are shy, don't get one, because you will be talking to people and getting your picture taken... a lot! On another note, while Ferraris can elicit a thumbs up or a middle finger, 100% of the reactions to the Macca have been positive. People seem to love them.

Easy to drive? Seriously? All modern cars are easy to drive.

If you want an exotic car, you won't regret a Macca. But don't be one of these guys that think about it for the next 30 years and end up never doing it until you are too old to really enjoy it. The Ferrari world is filled with these guys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Regarding your #4, the 570S was built to be an "on-rails" street car with incredible feedback, incredible handling, and incredible acceleration.

If you want to save a few bucks and don't need a Spider, you can pick up a nicely equipped 2016 570S for around $130K.

Someone mentioned getting a 12C instead to save some money. Well, long-term repair & maintenance costs will be higher with the Super Series. So consider that.

·
Registered
McLaren 720S spider, 2020. Spark.
390 Posts
Have had three Lotus including an Evora S. The steering and handling is similar to a 570. Has more luggage room. The sound system looks pretty pitiful but it’s set up to be easily upgraded. You have a similar reaction from the public, very rare to see one.

A McLaren come to life in the very illegal zones.

That’s our Evora in the background, it returned from across the country, another story. We had a 570 for a while too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
This, my friend is a Forever Car. Manual Transmission, NA motor, 5% yearly depreciation, which stops after 5 years and flatlines, Can run 80K miles w/o a problem, parts will forever be available, and nothing falls off of it.
The Macca is a hot-girlfriend, not a wife.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I was in your shoes, the “forever” car would be a 992 Porsche Turbo. Performance, dependability, service network, after market parts availability, and room for future kids would make it a reliable, useful, and fun driver for a long time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi there,

So I'm getting to the point in my life where I will likely be having kids soon, and just generally needing to live my life much more conservatively as an adult.

Initially I've had my eye on a Lotus Evora or I was thinking of a C8 Corvette, but I am worried about both cars in the long term.

The Evora honestly worries me from a maintenance/upkeep perspective. Looks like they have lots of silly problems, dealer coverage is sparse, and honestly the dealers that do exist feel a little sketchy. Likewise, while I love the Evora from a driving dynamics perspective it is on the slower side of things so I'm not sure if I will end up getting the speed itch while owning one. While I don't car too much about interiors the Evora interior is aging quickly so I'm just worried that in a few years the car is going to feel old and outdated.

I'm a Corvette guy at heart and while I enjoyed the C8 Z51 I test drove I think it's worth holding out for the Z06. My only problem is that I honestly had issues with the C8's ergonomics (the steering wheel is awkward and the car just feels wide and hard to drive). While I think it's a great step forward for the Corvette, it just didn't quite feel like the exotic I think it was trying to be. I'm really worried that GM is going to make the Z06 C8 mostly good but have small little GM touches to neuter the experience like they do with the other Corvettes I have been in. I also think over time a C8 Z06 won't feel that special down the road.

I had a few questions I was hoping folks could help me answer.

2) How is the sound system? One of the big drawbacks for me of the Evora is that it has an antiquated sound system and I do like listening to tunes when I drive. I don't need it to be perfect or mind blowing but something somewhat worth listening too.

3) It seems like these cars are genuinely renown for their speed and handling. Is there anything about the driving experience that these are lacking? For instance I drove an R8 once and it was fast...but felt incredibly dull to me. Is there an itch that the 570S doesn't scratch?

5) Is this car easy to drive? I heard it has great suspension damping on the street. How does it handle parking lots? Is the field of view from the windshield good? What about blind spots? Is it a handful to deal with? Or does it make an average joe feel like a super hero? Just curious on how "easy" and "intuitive" this car feels. I've found that difficult cars...while an experience...definitely begin to wane on me.

Thanks so much for all of the thoughts and input! Am brand new to the forum and would really enjoy to hear everyone's perspectives.
You should test drive a Mclaren and find out the answers to your questions personally. It’s not a car to own if you are on a tight budget.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My $0.02

1. I created a fairly comprehensive post about the reliability of the 570S, compiled based on many owner's reports since the car's launch. For someone in your shoes, it's worth a read. The majority of owner experiences that lead to McLaren being labeled "unreliable" are merely annoyances and not mechanical. I've experienced many of them, which are mostly comical to me now, and then continue on my merry way enjoying the hell out of the machine.

2. The base sound system is not great. I have it. Coming from an R8 with the B&O upgrade, it's quite poor. So if you're an audiophile, you'll want the upgraded sound system. For most of us, the radio is usually turned down in favor of turbo whistles and crackle pops. :)

3. I've driven many performance cars over the years, and the 570S is in the very best of company with regard to handling. The biggest bang-for-buck improvement is in the tire setup. You can increase the stock foot print from 235/285 to 245/305 with very sticky tires like the R888R's, and this really dials things in. To your point about the R8, the R8 is softened and uneventful by comparison. I would know - I had one...and it was modified.

4. As others mentioned, the 570S really comes alive in the "illegal zones". Having said that, I find the turbo lag ( which journalists love to complain about) to provide great fun in the "legal zone" around town. It's the variability of power delivery that keeps you on your toes and thus engaged with a smile. You really have to drive one to see if this tickles your fancy. In Normal/Normal mode, the car is docile and that's great for your partner/friend who needs to take it easy. Switch it to Track/Track and you've got a rigid beast that will hurt your back within N miles of metro roads.

5. It's an easy car around town, minus the front overhang which is quite long and leads to scrapes. I have a Track Pack without the lift, and live in the land of steep driveway entries in Los Angeles. Even then, I rarely scrape as it's a matter of your approach angle. Visibility out the front is fantastic - like a fighter jet. The side mirrors are kinda large + awkwardly placed in your view and take some getting used to. Rear visibility is not great as you'd expect. Getting in/out with the dihedral doors is clunky at first, but you'll quickly learn where to place your hand on the tub and hoist yourself around.

Finally, is it a "forever car"? That's entirely subjective. For me personally, I don't see any McLaren shy of the Ultimate Series as a forever car because McLaren continually pumps out enticing new machines that you'll inevitably want to purchase. If the question was word slightly different, perhaps "will the 570S remain technologically advanced and a great driving machine for many years to come?". Then the answer would absolutely be yes.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec 570 Spider replacement: 680S, or whatever it's to be called
399 Posts
Well stated, LifeIsGR8! That two cents of yours is a goldmine of information for guys (and gals!) who are still researching and trying to figure out which way to go.

Eagle, I'm now an empty nester, but still looking to purchase my first exotic. I've driven both of the choices you mention, and, while they are both wonderful cars, the McLaren took pole position rather quickly once I put my butt in both seats and went for a spirited drive.

Reactions: LifeIsGR8

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are my two cents as 570S owner coming from Ferrari, Porsche (GT3 and Turbo) and R8 Gen2 over the past 5 years or so

1) Maintenance:
A 570S is likely to have minor issues, mine has been more reliable than my two Porsches after two seasons though. Dealer service is expensive but more and more 3:rd party dealers pop-up and can work on these cars, software tools for full diagnostics and service reset etc are getting cheaper and available to more 3:rd party shops. There are lots of minor "quirks" that could be seen as issues but living with the car you learn to cope with them and they dont really become even an annoyance anymore but more part of the cars personality, you need to stroke it the right way for it to behave as you want it to (mainly electronics and non essential functions).

2) Sound system:
I have the B&W system in my car, it sounds excellent! I always listen to music when I drive and value a good sound system highly as part of my driving experience, I have a B&W system at home as well since many years back. I actually benchmarked the upgraded standard speaker system and the B&W system before buying my car. Both sound good with more than enough volume, base was actually similar but the clarity is superior in the B&W system. The best OEM system i've had in a sportscar, much better than the B&O system I had in the R8 and leaps better than Porsche's Bose system. The bluetooth connection for Spotify or other streaming services (I use Tidal) and audio controls via the IRIS system works great as well.

3. Driving experience:
Second to no other cars I've driven, with some margin... You sit in a "F1" like sloped down position with the wheel positioned absolutely spot on, low dash for great visibility but high doors which makes it feel like you sit far down and cocooned in a "fighter cockpit". The steering wheel is shaped with grips like on a gun, perfectly following your hands and the very tactile shifter paddles are like rifle triggers. When you start actually driving the steering and chassi speaks to you like nothing i've experienced in another car, its so subtle but so significant and gives you constant information about what each wheel is doing through the wheel and seat, super stiff carbon tub and low weight really helps here. Then you put your right foot down and it accelerates harder and more relentlessly than pretty much anything you can buy regardless of pricepoint, when you need to brake the milled aluminum pedal is firm and has a 100% linear actuation (unlike any other car I've driven) which makes it super easy to modulate accurately, its even fun to brake in this car... When you arrived at your destination (usually after a looong detour) you open the awesome doors (never gets old) and look back at some of the best automotive design in a long time... Can you tell I like my 570? :)

The balance of the chassi is excellent as well and it will drift nicely if you want to :)

The only areas where the 570 does not outclass its competition in my view are both related to its turbos that muffles the sound of the flat plane v8 and gives a fair bit of turbo lag. I have 200 cell race cats and titanium straight pipes which helps, it's properly loud and sounds really good, but a naturally aspirated well tuned engine will sound better and give a more instant throttle response. That said when the turbo's kick in you really need to hold on as it is VERY fast!

4) Fun on the street
For a car with this performance its very enjoyable at lower speeds as well, a lot thanks to its talkative steering and chassi and the excellent seating position, a sports exhaust helps here as well. More so than even a Porsche GT3 and significantly more than a Porsche Turbo or an R8.

5) Easy to drive
Overall its harder than a normal mid size sedan, but for a mid engine car its very easy to drive an maneuver, front visibility is excellent, better than normal cars. Rear visibility in the rear view mirror is also good. Tight spot maneuvering is OK, reverse camera is not great but it helps.

·
Spec 570 Spider soon
Waiting to spec 570 Spider replacement: 680S, or whatever it's to be called
399 Posts
Roggan, I really hadn't planned on commenting again on this thread, but your honest assessment put a big-ass grin on my face, so I just had to check in to tell you, "Thanks" for dropping another two pennies on the OP. Another goldmine. This forum rocks.

Reactions: TheRoggan
1 - 19 of 19 Posts