McLaren Life banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
why does Ferrari have to be so diffucult to purchase a a car? I've always heard of stories of "trying" to get higher tiered cars, just seems stupid to me.
cuz the ferrari's top 1% buyers are so strong that other brands could only have dreamed of having. put it this way, any buyer got 5 new car purchases history with mclaren, lambo, etc. they would all become super VIP to the brands. For Ferrari, 5 regular production cars just merely made it to their attention-list.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
cuz the ferrari's top 1% buyers are so strong that other brands could only have dreamed of having. put it this way, any buyer got 5 new car purchases history with mclaren, lambo, etc. they would all become super VIP to the brands. For Ferrari, 5 regular production cars just merely made it to their attention-list.
thats the old days... today? i was offered an F8, quick allocation and 5% discount to msrp... The reality is those days are over... i havent bought a Ferrari in 6 years... Oh yah, “if i was interested”, they could get me in a SF90 if i so wish... You see Pista prices? LOL

Reactions: VRP14

·
Registered
260 Posts
thats the old days... today? i was offered an F8, quick allocation and 5% discount to msrp... The reality is those days are over... i havent bought a Ferrari in 6 years... Oh yah, “if i was interested”, they could get me in a SF90 if i so wish... You see Pista prices? LOL
Agree those days are done .......I’ve purchased one F-car, and was offered a F8 at MSRP 6 months ago. Same dealer offered a Pista at MSRP customer didn’t purchase high MSRP car 475k. No need to pay over fro anything .......

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
570 car is better than the 991.5 and 992 offerings. Let it be the entry level to keep owners wanting the super series.
If you were correct, the 570S would have been completely sold out from launch, with a 2 year waiting list. Surely there are thousands of Porsche buyers that would want one.

It’s not simply performance; McLaren does not know how to tick all the boxes for those buyers to pull the trigger. That includes dealer proximity, perception of quality, reliability and resale, etc. As I said, they are pathetic at it. Same could be said for Nissan GT-R and many other would-be “911-killers” over the years.

One could argue the 570S is in a different class, in between the 911 and the 488/Huracan. In that case, kudos to McLaren for inventing a segment with no buyers. That also serves to cannibalize sales of their higher end products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
260 Posts
Personally, I think the 570 is a cool car but as you said never ticked my fancy. I do think Porsche pairs well with all super because it’s does so many things well/great dealer net work. I will always have a Porsche GT3RS for what it does, and pair other cars around it, and for now I have zero desire to sell my 675LT. I think the 570 is a gateway car, and many move out to the next MAC/try other things. I think the 600 is a badass car, but it suffers being tied to It’s 570 little brother/price of entry. I’m lucky my dealer MAC ....is 44 miles away, and if several hundred I wouldn’t own one. End of the day we all have some cool cars.

·
Registered
41 Posts
LOL

Agree those days are done .......I’ve purchased one F-car, and was offered a F8 at MSRP 6 months ago. Same dealer offered a Pista at MSRP customer didn’t purchase high MSRP car 475k. No need to pay over fro anything .......
Yup. But, F8 is a production car. The Pista you are talking is the lowest entry level of limited edition toward the later end of the production cycle, not the first 18 months of it. I’m not trying to argue but offering different point of view. You will only others struggle when you see things up there. That’s what I quoted and answered to the other poster for.

Lets just say I’m agree to you both. 100%. Those days are over. 😉

·
Registered
41 Posts
Let me try to explain my point of view on why I bring up the importance of 1% in Ferrari. I believe that 1% making a significant impact on the company. Just like a strong country, it's supported by the 99%, but moving forward by those one-percenters. F8, Pista, etc. all these are the 99% but most of the time happen to also own by 1% as well. As you can see, 99% would not see the politic on the 1% ladder. Mclaren seems they wanted to try to build a system like this in the last few years as well but without the foundation and too many mistakes ended up falling apart. It's not all bad, if they learn from it and put shits together, Mclaren will come out stronger.

Mclaren earned my respect at the track. I own some atm and got the 765 coming. I love Mclaren. It's sad for me to see them struggle this way but happy to see it right now so it's still got time to fix and make things right. Making the newest and the best performing products are just some of the elements, not all of them. The filling pricing gap within the brands was an old strategy. A strong company has got to have layers and complexity.

Food for thoughts. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you were correct, the 570S would have been completely sold out from launch, with a 2 year waiting list. Surely there are thousands of Porsche buyers that would want one.

It’s not simply performance; McLaren does not know how to tick all the boxes for those buyers to pull the trigger. That includes dealer proximity, perception of quality, reliability and resale, etc. As I said, they are pathetic at it. Same could be said for Nissan GT-R and many other would-be “911-killers” over the years.

One could argue the 570S is in a different class, in between the 911 and the 488/Huracan. In that case, kudos to McLaren for inventing a segment with no buyers. That also serves to cannibalize sales of their higher end products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will take time. I was shopping for the GT3 as well as the GT2RS, but after visiting and driving both, I like the McLaren better. Porsche has been in the game for so long, but Mclaren is actually leading the way.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Easier said than done, especially in the present environment in which a big chunk of their expected revenue for 2020 has been lost! ;)
Definitely not easy but if they want long term success they need to pivot. Cut expenses everywhere they can and focus on building a luxury brand. There is an opportunity right now to really turn up the heat on the competition. The 765 is going to be the baddest thing out there and it can help set the pace going forward. Additionally they do a piss poor job selling other merchandise, they are leaving a lot of money on the table. CEO at McLaren would be one of the few jobs I would take zt this point in my life as I believe I could turn it around and it would be fun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks very informative 👍

Why are the brokers, resellers missing from the McLaren market.
Mclaren has “brokers” too. If you follow the carfax owner chain on a number of super low mile cars for sale by non Mac dealers you will find a restraunt company in Chicago on the list. Probably a common practice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Definitely not easy but if they want long term success they need to pivot. Cut expenses everywhere they can and focus on building a luxury brand. There is an opportunity right now to really turn up the heat on the competition. The 765 is going to be the baddest thing out there and it can help set the pace going forward. Additionally they do a piss poor job selling other merchandise, they are leaving a lot of money on the table. CEO at McLaren would be one of the few jobs I would take zt this point in my life as I believe I could turn it around and it would be fun.
I believe as CEO you would not have a free hand to do what you want. There are many masters. I have spent time with McLaren upper management, they are not incompetent. Running a car company is not for the faint of heart. It is a very complex thing to manufacture, service and market. The regulations alone are an incredible burden. When you amortize the expenses over the number of units they sell it becomes a problem. They made too many units as has been pointed out. They are aware of that and are trying to dial the unit count back to increase the exclusivity and increase the used/residual value.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I believe as CEO you would not have a free hand to do what you want. There are many masters. I have spent time with McLaren upper management, they are not incompetent. Running a car company is not for the faint of heart. It is a very complex thing to manufacture, service and market. The regulations alone are an incredible burden. When you amortize the expenses over the number of units they sell it becomes a problem. They made too many units as has been pointed out. They are aware of that and are trying to dial the unit count back to increase the exclusivity and increase the used/residual value.
I can only imagine but at some point you run out of excuses to perform. Someone strong needs to take control and institute the changes needed to ensure viability and success.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I can only imagine but there at some point you run out of excuses to perform. Someone strong needs to take control and institute the changes needed to ensure viability and success.
‘Spot on and they need to key skill leaderships position, one a brand manager to manage and change the reputation, two a very good leader to manage “WIP” on the line high focused on quality control/start the introduction of robotics to reduce human factors during the build process. Too much “WIP” humans will have failure points, double shifts, other jobs ......train towards the skill that can automate and reduce the risk points. I have friends that ran MB manufacturing they love MAC, but not their processes around the above. Bad ass cars, but they need to manage the brand better what people hear becomes their reality wrong or right.

·
Registered
306 Posts
‘Spot on and they need to key skill leaderships position, one a brand manager to manage and change the reputation, two a very good leader to manage “WIP” on the line high focused on quality control/start the introduction of robotics to reduce human factors during the build process. Too much “WIP” humans will have failure points, double shifts, other jobs ......train towards the skill that can automate and reduce the risk points. I have friends that ran MB manufacturing they love MAC, but not their processes around the above. Bad ass cars, but they need to manage the brand better what people hear becomes their reality wrong or right.
no need for retooling, robotics. It is not a volume manufacturing like MB or BMW. Make it hand tooling like ferrari. Produce more volume entry level sport series variations and leave the numbers of the super sports, ultimate models limited and few. F1 should be self supported not company supported to make net profits.

·
Registered
260 Posts
no need for retooling, robotics. It is not a volume manufacturing like MB or BMW. Make it hand tooling like ferrari. Produce more volume entry level sport series variations and leave the numbers of the super sports, ultimate models limited and few. F1 should be self supported not company supported to make net profits.
‘Yes, not 100% robotics, but it’s additive to reduce variability in craftsmanship errors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
‘As long as people keep ordering them’ Yep you said it 👍

This is the issue here!
Lots of late 600’s were not customer orders. They were churned out and sat at the dealers, hence the 50k of list + slamming finance deals.

Are there any new Pista’s or SVJ‘s with the same incentive lurking at dealers?
yup i got one on a 600 i couldnt pass. but id hate too own a new mclaren right now, I
dont like saying that but its true. lease and dump it.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts