McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been away from my MP12 for various reasons so today I went for a quick spin, saying to my wife I just need to go and fill the tank in preparation for our trip to Goodwood Festival of Speed. She did ask why it took 2 hours to return from the petrol station just a half mile away.

I set off in glorious sunshine on very warm tarmac and immediately wondered why people moan about the noise...it is wonderfully sonorous with a deep bellow changing to a fast deep bellow, it has character and also entertains.

Secondly the cornering grip and poise is sensational. Today my tyres quickly exceeded 40c ,which is rare on our recently cold roads , and the feedback plus grip was epic.......and I am not a fan of Pirelli whatsits (road tyres) but at these temperatures they perform very well.

Due to all the comment on the forum about how good the box is in auto mode I had a go and it was just perfect in that it was always in the correct gear, fast changing and inconspicuous. Impressive and also fun.Never thought I would say that about auto mode.

In manual it behaves as well with precog adding something compared to no precog effort.

What can I say about power delivery..........ballistic, on tap, instant, fabulous, addictive....just mind blowing for me and I spend more time on motorcycles that are sub 3 secs to 60 and 10 secs 1/4 mile with exit speed at 150 mph or thereabouts.......the Mclaren is Superbike fast and that is fast!

So after a break from my Mac I feel just as enthusiastic about it after 16 months of ownership as on day one.........and it has swipe doors!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Ditto RIC,i only go on holiday to appease the wife,its the perfect DD,but my petrol bill has doubled in the last year,but I don't do any more milage,i just get everywhere early !!

·
Registered
964 Posts
After my Sunday drive I can say I pretty much felt the same way, considering the metal I was out playing with, I'm pleased to say I felt it was the only car I'd want to be in, Yes some were quick in a straight line, but come the winding roads the 12C excelled- and as you mention, as I pulled up to the café- I had swipe doors :cool:

I drove the car mainly in auto and sport, which transforms the car almost to my needs, only twice did I need to cog it down myself in preparation for a uphill hairpin.:D

The sun is not as hot here today, so will give it a swill over ready for Goodwood.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
whenever i get in mine, i am always more impressed after i have closed the (swipe adorned) doors at the end than i was at the beginning.. still amazes me..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts