McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have driven the 720 S and love it. Who wouldn't :). I have a Titanium 2014 Spyder with 8,000 miles. Factory (Newport, CA) service regularly. I have 6 months warrantee left. I have not gone to the dealer with the idea yet so I don't know the trade in value. It has all the up dates including IRIS 2. Never had a problem. No accidents of course. MSRP about $325,000 as I recall. Never tracked etc. Sunday driver. The car is perfect but I love the lines on the 720 S!

So am I nuts?? and what advice do you have?

Maybe the dealer would shoot it down by asking to much cash with the Spyder.........

Help please :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I have driven the 720 S and love it. Who wouldn't :). I have a Titanium 2014 Spyder with 8,000 miles. Factory (Newport, CA) service regularly. I have 6 months warrantee left. I have not gone to the dealer with the idea yet so I don't know the trade in value. It has all the up dates including IRIS 2. Never had a problem. No accidents of course. MSRP about $325,000 as I recall. Never tracked etc. Sunday driver. The car is perfect but I love the lines on the 720 S!

So am I nuts?? and what advice do you have?

Maybe the dealer would shoot it down by asking to much cash with the Spyder.........

Help please :)
I was in a very similar place as you. After driving the 720S I was smitten! A track day in the 720S sealed the deal for me and I finally bit the bullet and traded my 12c (2012 coupe 300k MSRP) for a new 2019 720S.

I loved my 12c, and for the money they're currently trading for, nothing compares.

Having said that, the 720S is next level in every way, I think you've discovered that.

Just do it.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
doesnt sound like you put on many miles will it be worth the price difference?
once you hear trade in value let us know your thoughts then

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes, I forgot to mention. The trade number will likely not be good.

Only you know whether it'll be worth the jump.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wanted to buy a 720S that McLaren of Dallas had and while I was there they got an Alpha Project 12C as a trade. I went with the 12C and have since added a Weistec Stage 2 tune and Fabspeed catless pipes and I laugh like a kid while driving it. My wife has since started calling me a manchild! That said, keep your 12C unless money is no object and you want a newer car.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I did the swap 2.5 years ago. Had an 2018 coupe. Now I just traded a coupe in for the spider.

I’d recommend OGARA as pricing will be better than Newport. But if you have a relationship with them it makes sense.

my silver ones listed on their site for 244. By buddy just traded in a abyss black coupe there also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the swap 2.5 years ago. Had an 2018 coupe. Now I just traded a coupe in for the spider.

I’d recommend OGARA as pricing will be better than Newport. But if you have a relationship with them it makes sense.

my silver ones listed on their site for 244. By buddy just traded in a abyss black coupe there also.
Firstkill, How much did you get for the trade in? If you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts
yeap; I believe it was $25K manufacture contribution towards the trade of a 720s coupe.
thats correct. It made sense for me to move cars after that rebate. Either over pay for my trade or decrease the cost of the car. Or a little of both.

OGARA seems to go by. the more units they move the more allocation to limited productions cars that sell for msrp with out people looking for deas

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
even modded, a 12c can't hold a candle to a 720.
if it's performance you're after,don't hesitate.
Depends on the mods...

Mod-for-mod, the higher displacement engine and newer transmission will take the cake everyday. But if you are trading dollars (mods on 12c vs the extra cost of the 720), the 12c comes out on top by a long margin. About $30-35K all in (Pure S2 turbos, upgraded intercoolers, meth, custom tune, and sticky tires with lightweight wheels) should make the 12c noticeably quicker in a straight line, saving you >$100K. Can't say on the twisties since few post lap times with modded cars, but it seems most folks like to look at straight line anyway.

"But what about the DragTimes video where the 720 (just barely) bested a modded 12C?!?!" That 12c had, to my knowledge, Pure S1 turbos, meth, and a tune. It did not have the S2 turbos or upgraded intercoolers, which combined are good for another ~70-100 whp. The addition of those two last bits should enable a 12c to (comfortably?) pass a 720 in a straight line, IMHO.

This is exactly why I cannot justify the upgrade. That and, while I may be in the minority, I prefer the interior layout of the 12c to the 720.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just got mine, 2018 720s performance. What a car, coming from a huracan and i love every bit of the 720s. You clearly already discovered that haha JUST DO IT

·
Owner
353 Posts
The 720s is in a different league. If you can afford it, I would say, just do it. You won't regret it.
I had a 650s and now on a 720s. The 720s I have had for about 9 months and has been a great car.

·
2012 MP4-12C
323 Posts
Ultimately, everyone is out to justify their own choices (especially on forums!). Those who traded up to the 720s and spent the extra $$$ will be very pro-720s. Those who are happy with the 12c and cannot or don't want to spend the extra $$$ with be very pro-12c.

The 720s is arguably "better" than the 12c if you are using the 12c as the baseline. However, if you are using a Mustang GT as your baseline, the delta between the 720s and 12c is almost imperceptible. They are both exceptional cars! It's all a matter of perspective.

If you have the cash and can make the swap, go for it. If you need to sacrifice other aspects of your life to make the swap, think twice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts