McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 458 Italiia just came in. I took it around the block and did not like i. The car is too stiff to enjoy . Before I titled the car I rented a 458 for the weekend and I still did not like it. I am tired of buying a car that I will drive a few times a month and make my garage pretty. Some body told me to test drive the mclaren which I' did do. I loved it . I have been reading magazines reviews and some indicate that car gets boring after a while. I am curious to talk to the owners and see what your thoughts are . Are any of you concerned that they are going to build too many and kill resale value. How does mclaren tart it's customers? Any thoughts or reflections would be helpful. I am in Los Angeles

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
My 458 Italiia just came in. I took it around the block and did not like i. The car is too stiff to enjoy . Before I titled the car I rented a 458 for the weekend and I still did not like it. I am tired of buying a car that I will drive a few times a month and make my garage pretty. Some body told me to test drive the mclaren which I' did do. I loved it . I have been reading magazines reviews and some indicate that car gets boring after a while. I am curious to talk to the owners and see what your thoughts are . Are any of you concerned that they are going to build too many and kill resale value. How does mclaren tart it's customers? Any thoughts or reflections would be helpful. I am in Los Angeles
Marc,as you are now aware the 12c is a different concept compared to all the others.I don't recall reading any reviews were they say the car gets boring after some time of ownership.I would suggest that's quite the opposite.That's because when you first drive the car you drive it like you would drive any other car of this level,but after getting used to it you realise that it will do things other cars won't,that takes time,something the reviewers don't have,and that's why it originally didn't get the accolades it deserved.If you had the time to look back over the past 3 years the magazines have changed their minds,but don't shout about it.But they use it now as a benchmark more than anything else,why is that ;)
As for customer care,you will find that our Ferrari owners will tell you that they get far better service,and in the absolute worst scenario it will be the same.
As for re-sale they don't yet have the advantage of the Ferrari methods of keeping at a level,but this will come,but a good secondhand low mileage car is a good place to start as they have now bottomed out and will probably rise in the future as there will always be 3 times less of them than any other equivalent brand imo

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Marcmen,

I bought mine new and have about one year of driving with 12,000 miles on the odometer and I can say without hesitation that the car has become MORE exciting with time as I developed more comfort in exploring its remarkable capabilities.

Worrying about at what price you plan to sell the car is wrong idea entirely, as you probably understand well. It will hinder your enjoyment of the car. Resale values will probably become irrelevant to you if you become truly passionate about the car. I would not part with mine for $500,000 at this point. It is worth more to me than that. I couldn't replicate it either since there is no longer a botton-free door swipe option.

Best of luck to you...

N8te

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm kind of pissed off right now. I didn't know there was an option to be the target of tarting! Sir would you like the optimal tart option. Why yes, yes I would. :)

Anyway, howdy Marcmen! It's tough for me to judge. First some similarities, I went to test drive and buy a 458 (very very nice car). I liked it a lot. I didn't find it's ride too rough, but then again I was on sensory overload and probably drove it for a sum total of 45minutes. What convinced me to buy the 12C over the 458 was that relative to my old corvette, the 458 was faster, sharper handling, etc., but not in a way that was overwhelming. When I got in the 12C and hit the gas, colors in my field of view started to blur. It was terrifying speed relative to the 458; really not even close. So I went with that option.

Having said that, when I took the 12C out for a test drive, in the softest suspension mode, I felt like I was driving on marmalade. It is obscene how comfy the ride is; it's my daily driver and I live in NYC, where the roads are not exactly great.

As for depreciation, they'll be producing about 1200-1500 a year, so it's not a low production car, and if you option the heck out of it (carbon fiber everything) you'll take a hit on resale. If you get it lightly optioned, you may still take a hit, but it will be within reason. But who knows how the market will flow. For example, once they start producing the P13, I suspect they may produce fewer 12C's so that may change things a touch.

So I find the car very usable, the only complaint I've ever heard about it is getting in/out of the car could be a bother if you have some back/knee problems. Most folks are fine with it. It's not like a lotus or anything like that, but the carbon fiber tub has a lip.

Best advice, go take a test drive. Put it in full cush mode and see if that is comfy for you, and getting in and out are good. Don't bring your check book if you want to stay rational, the check may accidentally write itself, and fly out onto the dealers desk. :)

Hope that helps and good luck with your search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts