McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I apologize as I am sure these questions have been asked but the search engine on the site is a tad underwhelming ... I am thinking about picking up a 2013 12C Spider but have two big questions:

1) At 6 foot, 225 pounds, am I going to fit comfortably in the car?

2) What are values doing on these cars? Seems like there are a fair amount out there right now ... most in the $265K+ range. Has depreciation increased with the '14s coming out and, if so, are dealers negotiating on price?

On #1 I have a F430 Spider which I fit in great and a Gallardo Spider which I fit in ... slightly less great ... but I have never been in a McLaren and would hate to buy a $250K car that I didn't fit it.

Anyway ... hope to join the club here in time for driving season. On paper the 12C looks like an amazing car and a great addition to my small collection. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
eric.

I think you have to try the car for the answer regarding fit. I am 6'2" and 100 kilo and fit for several hours at a time with a BIG smile on my face

Depreciation is heavy in the UK, in fact disappointing, but a check on the auto sale sites may reveal some view on the USA

It is a ballistic and comfortable car and the concensus is that the drophead is a good choice

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Its roomier than a G spyder but not as much as a F430. Every person is different - i.e. some people have a long torso and shorter legs and others the opposite so you have to get in one to decide. I will warn you though - One testdrive and you will be done for!;)

P.S. - I am 5' 11'' and 180 lbs and I am very comfortable behind the wheel. You do lose some leg room with the Power seats. My manual seat coupe had more leg room.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am 6' and 250 and I have no issues with the Spider. You will find that getting in and out to be somewhat challenging and often laughable.
You will love it.

Joe:)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You'll fit fine. There is slightly less leg room in the Spider and (as suggested) there is slightly less headroom if you have electric seats, it's only a problem for me (6'2" and built like a second row) with a crash helmet on.
Get a test drive. Welcome.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
eric.

I think you have to try the car for the answer regarding fit. I am 6'2" and 100 kilo and fit for several hours at a time with a BIG smile on my face

Depreciation is heavy in the UK, in fact disappointing, but a check on the auto sale sites may reveal some view on the USA

It is a ballistic and comfortable car and the concensus is that the drophead is a good choice
I'm going to start weighing myself in your funny kilos because I have no idea what you mean. Although car weights in them make perfect sense. So, you weigh 14.5 12C's. With fuel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eric.

Very helpful! When you say "depreciation is heavy in the UK" can you be more specific? I am looking at a car with an MSRP of $330K USD and thinking it's reasonable at $250K USD ... does that sound right?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Very helpful! When you say "depreciation is heavy in the UK" can you be more specific? I am looking at a car with an MSRP of $330K USD and thinking it's reasonable at $250K USD ... does that sound right?
Eric, I am not qualified to comment on the USA but there are owners in the USA who can, I'm sure.

In the UK 2 year old cars have lost £80k or less.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm going to start weighing myself in your funny kilos because I have no idea what you mean. Although car weights in them make perfect sense. So, you weigh 14.5 12C's. With fuel.

Naranja, it drives me nuts this kilos thing.....I have a lot of sympathy for the Newcastle market trader who got fined for selling his bananas in Ibs and oz's......I am actually 95 kilos which is about 15 stone 5 Ib so I am not sure how that converts to 14.5 12C's........but as you are a retired armed forces man I will defer to your knowledge!

I am sure you leaned to the east as you fired to the west!

Did you go around the Ring in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Naranja, it drives me nuts this kilos thing.....I have a lot of sympathy for the Newcastle market trader who got fined for selling his bananas in Ibs and oz's......I am actually 95 kilos which is about 15 stone 5 Ib so I am not sure how that converts to 14.5 12C's........but as you are a retired armed forces man I will defer to your knowledge!

I am sure you leaned to the east as you fired to the west!

Did you go around the Ring in the right direction?
My apologies young RiC, you're actually 14.7 12C's, with a full tank this time (the cars, not yours). Wasn't a bad guess.

I'm almost certain I went round in the right direction but will double check the video and my tyres.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Folks,

I apologize as I am sure these questions have been asked but the search engine on the site is a tad underwhelming ... I am thinking about picking up a 2013 12C Spider but have two big questions:

1) At 6 foot, 225 pounds, am I going to fit comfortably in the car?

2) What are values doing on these cars? Seems like there are a fair amount out there right now ... most in the $265K+ range. Has depreciation increased with the '14s coming out and, if so, are dealers negotiating on price?

On #1 I have a F430 Spider which I fit in great and a Gallardo Spider which I fit in ... slightly less great ... but I have never been in a McLaren and would hate to buy a $250K car that I didn't fit it.

Anyway ... hope to join the club here in time for driving season. On paper the 12C looks like an amazing car and a great addition to my small collection. Thanks for your help!

As others have said... I'm 6-1, 220 and love the fit!!

330msrp, to 250.. from a dealer? that is a GREAT price in my view! depending on miles and if its what you are looking for! That's about the lowest I have seen.

I also came from a 07 430 f1 spider. You will think you have upgraded to a SPACESHIP! I was between the 12C spider and a 458 Italia. I'm thrilled with my choice!

·
Registered
230 Posts
i also came from a 430 coupe and that car had a bit more leg room than the spider. i'm 6'1 and 230 lbs and i have the seat all the way to the back (electric). its extremely confortable even for very long trips.
I would say someone over 6'3 or 6'4 would start having issues especially with long legs.
the car is a blast, not even close to a 430, just do it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone, thanks so much for the advice! Assuming the test drive next week goes as I expect I will be joining you all on the road ... wish me luck!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Everyone, thanks so much for the advice! Assuming the test drive next week goes as I expect I will be joining you all on the road ... wish me luck!
I wish you luck,built like a jockey,so my input would have been minimal,but I can tell you your cheeks will hurt from grinning if your test drive is too long ...............

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Andy, which cheeks are you referring to?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good point RIC,the other cheeks will be cossetted and not hurting,but if you can show me your method of making them grin,i'm up for trying most things :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts