McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks... Looking to get into a 720S. Spider is my first choice but they are a little too pricey for me.

What do you guys think of this coupe below

How do you like this spec? Anything must have missing on this?

What would be a fair price range for something like this above? I think it is a CPO.

For the folks who own 2018's.. What has been the experience of owning these out of warranty. This is my first post and first McLaren.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
961 Posts
Hello folks... Looking to get into a 720S. Spider is my first choice but they are a little too pricey for me.

What do you guys think of this coupe below

How do you like this spec? Anything must have missing on this?

What would be a fair price range for something like this above? I think it is a CPO.

For the folks who own 2018's.. What has been the experience of owning these out of warranty. This is my first post and first McLaren.

Thank you in advance.

Looks like a very nice car. I don't see a complete spec sheet, to me the important options are the sport exhaust and MSO extended shift paddles. The 720S comes with a pretty complete standard equipment list. The carbon options are optically nice but not necessary if you don't care about them. My only concern would be the very low miles...not really enough to be completely comfortable with any potential reliability issues. I'd check on when the warranty expires, and touch base with the service department to see if there have been any issues with the car to date.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
get a spider if this is what you wanted originally. coupes are nice but you'll always have this nagging feeling.
out of warranty can get pricey when parts go wrong. not much is inexpensive on 720's yet. a car with low miles may be more problematic as it hasn't been shaken down while under factory warranty.

Mostly good cars but can be hit or miss if you have a questionable one.
do a search on here and read up.many threads for you to peruse.

no one can decide for you what is acceptable. there are no must have options,only things that you would like to have or not .more options may make the car more desirable at resale but also more spendy now and then.
more common issues are: accumulators,gorilla glass and windshield cracks,electronic gremlins of all sorts,lose or misaligned body panels ,rattles squeaks,noises. items that are not covered by extended warranty .
Ensure car has not been modified and mac has not black listed it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Go over the service history with a fine tooth comb, even with the limited mileage. I don't see any mention of CPO or warranty, which probably means that will cost you extra.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you look carefully enough, you can find a 2020 spider for not terribly much more. Especially if you have a trade in that is attractive to the dealer.

·
570S Owner
2020 720S Coupé
135 Posts

Well, if you ask this particular owner about owning cars outside of warranty, I'm pretty sure he'd have some interesting comments. Of course his story is different as he had a warranty when he bought....but it is still good information for anyone thinking about owning these cars without warranty....you could be one of the thousands that have never had a problem except a windshield wiper blade flying off, or you could be one of the handful (or more) that had electronic issues, blown engines, blown transmissions, etc. all of which cost waaaayyy more than the $5-9k/yr warranty (if possible).

See: Out of Warranty Repairs

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello folks attached is the option list

View attachment 214804
That 360 park assist is a "must" for me - So insanely handy when parking, so good job there. I had folks at Cars and Coffee blown away by my "parking skills" :)

Some folks have had issues with the upper Gorilla Glass cracking. I think it was due to older models where the glass might have been attached too tight, causing it to be under stress where it should "float" instead. I have had zero issues with mine, and love that option. This is something to inspect before paying, though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The word from the service manager at my dealership was that the issues with the 720’s diminished some on the later cars so I would get the most current model that you can afford and try to negotiate some extended warranty into the deal. I think the spiders will do best longer term so more money but maybe the less cost of depreciation over the years.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
You guys are funny...

Mclaren dealers will tell you that they had record year in 2018-2019 and it was all because of the 720s... They picked up many new customers because of the 720s.

It dominates attendance at cars and coffees, rallies and dominates on the track...

It is a no brainer (as evidenced by how many of them have sold and brought in so many new customers to mclaren) to buy one.

The first year batch are all out of warranty now (probably about 3,000 of them). I don't remember my service guys asking me if I wanted an extended warranty.

windshield cracks/gorilla glass cracks are a thing of the past. Software updates have taken care of the early issues.

I had a friend who bought a 2018 with 7,000 miles for $279,000. He tried waiting out the dealer for a month and a half and they wouldn't budge. He winded up meeting their asking price.

This one looks like a good car. I'd jump on it.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
i can vouch for this one of a kind

·
Registered
88 Posts
For most folks, if you want a spider you should get a spider, even if you compromise on something else like a 600LT or 650 instead of a 720 to fit your budget.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Here is a car that I can tell you all about- its mine. Gave it to the dealer as I have a 765 LT coming in:

Issues- Goriilla glass cracked but was replaced under warranty- no issues.
Had a software glitch about the suspension come up once- took it in and everything checked out. Neve happened again.

What else? Entire front is clear bra- double layer on the underside of the doors. No tracking. I think we put new tires on it. Was sad to see this go. It was by far my favorite car ever.

Good luck on the hunt. You wont be disappointed with the 720.

·
Registered
24 Posts
get a spider....last thing you want is to be driving a coupe wishing it was a spider......Once you get to the price of the coupe a spider isn't that much more incrementally.....at least that is what I told myself......:p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you folks for all the responses. Truly appreciate all the insights.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would keep looking. Picked up my 2019 850miles, $367k MSRP with $10k carbon bonnet and $12k wheels for under $285k. The original wheels and hood came with the car as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts