McLaren Life banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the first place. The software upgrade that is!

The car is very responsive, the electronic systems are generally working, and my brake feel has even gotten better (I am not imaging this but I didn't think there was a change to the brakes).

Engine sound aside, I am liking my 12c more than my 458... :D

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I always love to hear a story like that, it just goes to show that there are people that realize how great this car is. As for the sound, yes Ferrari's do sound great, but its not only about sound. That doesn't mean you can't exploit the different possibilities of improving on the current exhaust system and its sound. Enjoy your beautiful new car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not sure the 12c will ever sound as good as a NA car, for me my old CGT was easily the best sounding car I've ever owned, close second would be my old Superformance GT40.

I wonder what else McLaren have in the pipeline in the way of software updates, I'm sure this is just the first of many fixes.

·
Registered
271 Posts

The car is very responsive, the electronic systems are generally working, and my brake feel has even gotten better (I am not imaging this but I didn't think there was a change to the brakes).

I totally agree with your comments, sound aside, i prefer the 12C to the 458. Before the upgrade, the 458 had the better package.

·
owner
8 Posts
Generally Working ?

Please tell us what does not work so well.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Seems to me there are a number of owners, including my car, that have few or no problems with the update. So it is reasonable to conclude, maybe wrongly, that the download was faulty or corrupted in errant cars.

Surely the dealers need informing and asked to sort the issue.......pronto, at least a re download to determine if corruption is a cause?

If the 2nd download does not solve the issues then........get the car in and sort it, please!

·
Registered
983 Posts
GoPlay, glad to hear you got the upgrade finally, and rather astonishing to hear your comments about it vs your 458 spider - now I'm starting to reconsider ordering one... lol.

I haven't had issues with my upgrade either - I freakin' love it. Car really is that much better. Frankly, since I've going to put as many miles as I can, track it at least 8-10 times per year, and generally abuse it as a car like this should be, residuals be damned. I'll have $200K+ of fun in it, and consider it money well spent.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't miss the sound of my 458.
What does bother me though is I could have had an M5 and a Scud for the cost. Nah, better a 12C....the AND car

·
Registered
6,889 Posts

I believe the difference in braking you feel is probably because the engine braking characteristics have changed under deceleration. I've noticed that the engine does not "push" against the brakes as much, resulting in better feel. At least I think I'm not imagining it.

My car has also been close to flawless since the 10.2 update.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
GoPlay, glad to hear you got the upgrade finally, and rather astonishing to hear your comments about it vs your 458 spider - now I'm starting to reconsider ordering one... lol.
Still scratching my head since I saw that you ordered one Hyper, to be honest. Would have to imagine that the 12C Spider shades it in every conceivable way and especially the weight and rigidity deltas vs the respective coupes. Well except maybe depreciation, but as you say you don't care about that. Impulse buy?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one thing I don't like about my 458 Spider is that there is definitely noticeable cowl shake. My SLS convertible was much stiffer than the 458. I suspect the 12C Spider will be stiffer as well.

The only bug I experienced post upgrade is with my iPhone 4S plugged into the USB port, playing music and a call came through with a bluetooth connection. I couldn't hear the caller, and the caller couldn't hear me. After disconnecting, the music couldn't be heard either. I didn't try to debug and all was fine on next start-up.

I really like driving the 12C in the same way I really liked driving my 996 GT3 -- a car I kept the longest.

I will probably keep the 12C... forever! (Famous last words!)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe the difference in braking you feel is probably because the engine braking characteristics have changed under deceleration. I've noticed that the engine does not "push" against the brakes as much, resulting in better feel. At least I think I'm not imagining it.

My car has also been close to flawless since the 10.2 update.
I did notice that. However, pre-upgrade I found the brakes to be a bit grabby... it took a very delicate touch. Now the brakes are more easily modulated. Either worked for me, but post-upgrade is easier for street driving.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I did notice that. However, pre-upgrade I found the brakes to be a bit grabby... it took a very delicate touch. Now the brakes are more easily modulated. Either worked for me, but post-upgrade is easier for street driving.
Interesting. I'm not aware of any changes to the brake system, but maybe there was an indirect effect.

With regards to your thread title, Antony said that the engine re-map was a result of McLaren taking the engine tuning/calibration task in-house. The original calibration was done by Ricardo. The whole engine development program was a very compressed timeline, so I imagine they did not have time to optimize to this level and still launch the car on time. But yeah, it does make the car even better.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I will probably keep the 12C... forever! (Famous last words!)
I'm struggling with this, too. P14 will undoubtedly be better in every way, but it won't have touch sensor doors and Pre-Cog and it won't be the first product from the new McLaren Automotive. Might have to keep the 12C and just add P14. Back to work, then!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts