McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still looking for the ultimate camera solution and hoping to get some folks thoughts and experiences on any of the stuff here. I think the ultimate setup would combine 3 things, trackcam w/sensor gps track/overlays, dashcam w/ at least two camera (e.g., front & back), and rear/surrounding area backup camera.

First, regarding track cam and sensors info tracking, I learned of a new (to me) track cam solution:
http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/index_car.htm

It can track, revs, Gs, revs, and even GPS position and overlay that onto the recorded video. Check this out:

(1) ***Does anyone have experience with the AiM on the 12C or otherwise? Does it support multiple cameras? Can it operate as a dashcam? Can you feed the video into the new IRIS?

Second, I'm still looking for a great dash cam solution. So I already have a dash cam discussion going here:
http://www.mclarenlife.com/forums/mclaren-mp4-12c/2226-dashcam-rear-camera.html

Why a dash cam? Well, WRT to the dash cam, I heard that some insurance companies will knock 15% off rates for a dash cam, and more importantly, it seems like a good idea to have for all sorts of things (security when parked to see who comes up to the car/messes with it (e.g., valets), fun/crazy/scary things that happen on regular roads, documenting anything happening involving accidents/authorities, etc.).

The ideal solution here would have at least 2 cameras (e.g., front and back). So far the best solution I found is:

http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Channel-DR550GW-2CH-Recorder-Built-/dp/B00FK7QFM0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388104928&sr=1-2&keywords=DR550GW

Right now, to me, it seems like the BlackVue DR550GW is the best dash cam because of the iPhone viewing features, the sensors, the recording for 3 hours after parking, and the second cam.

(2) ****Do you guys think this is the best dashcam solution, or do you guys like or think something else is better?

Third, I'd like at least a backup camera (and ideally a wrap around overview like on the Nissan) to aid parking in unknown places.

(3) ****Anyone know of aftermarket 360 rearview camera systems like the Nissan system?

Finally, it would be great to get all of the above integrated. Heck, it would be great to have 4 360degree cameras wrapping around the car and an internal camera showing what the driver is doing, all synced up, operating as a dashcam, and telemetry trackcam with overlays, and live parking cam, all piped into the IRIS video in port.

More realistically, it may mean compromising and getting one or two of the above systems. Perhaps that means using the AiM as a dashcam (if possible), although it's not clear if it can be used like that; but it would be great to get the added telemetry and gps overlay. It would be great to pipe the AiM into the IRIS so you can see it live to read the telemetry. It's not clear if you can have multiple AiM cameras so you could install a rear and front facing one.

Anyway, wondering on others thoughts on this.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't see the point on the street unless your plan is to obey all posted limits and drive to perfection at all times. You have an incident while speeding and you enhance the possibility of civil and criminal liability.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BlackVue and most if not all dashcams have removable memory cards. What you choose to keep and/or share is totally under your control.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
(1) ***Does anyone have experience with the AiM on the 12C or otherwise? Does it support multiple cameras? Can it operate as a dashcam? Can you feed the video into the new IRIS?
I have tried the AIM SmartyCam HD together with an AIM SOLO DL Datalogger and experienced some issues with the OBD II interface or CAN bus respectively. The data connection only randomly worked (mostly did but sometimes not) so I decided to return the system to AIM.

The plan is to visit AIM in Italy sometimes next year to eliminate the CAN protocol related problems.

Also please note, that even with the new software (2.0+) you cannot add your own overlays as you can with the Racelogic VVBOX systems (20Hz HD version with postprocessing overlay now out).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have tried the AIM SmartyCam HD together with an AIM SOLO DL Datalogger and experienced some issues with the OBD II interface or CAN bus respectively. The data connection only randomly worked (mostly did but sometimes not) so I decided to return the system to AIM.

The plan is to visit AIM in Italy sometimes next year to eliminate the CAN protocol related problems.

Also please note, that even with the new software (2.0+) you cannot add your own overlays as you can with the Racelogic VVBOX systems (20Hz HD version with postprocessing overlay now out).
Thanks McDc. Is that what you're using and prefer with the 12C? Do you prefer it because it happens to work, or because it has superior features (or both). It sounds like yo might like what the AiM promises and it might do more if they get it to work reliably, but for now, the VBOX works better, although with less features.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Thanks McDc. Is that what you're using and prefer with the 12C? Do you prefer it because it happens to work, or because it has superior features (or both). It sounds like yo might like what the AiM promises and it might do more if they get it to work reliably, but for now, the VBOX works better, although with less features.
Both systems are offering 10Hz GPS and CAN/OBDII graphical data overlay and 720p with a global shutter CMOS. So no whobbling due to rolling shutter that you get with GoPro and the like. No PiP on both systems unfortunately.

The graphical overlay on the Smartycam HD is done in realtime (near realtime that is) where on the VVBOX HD it is done in postprocessing on your computer (Win only). So a little convenience advantage for the AIM system here but on the other hand, with overlay applied in postprocessing on the Racelogic system, you have the choice of try/using different overlays or none at all for different purposes with the same original footage.

I have used the non HD VVBOX for several years and it proved to be very reliable with the odd power cord and firmware problems. The HD version however just came out, CAN bus connection is due in january, so the system needs to prove its realiability first.

The AIM as mentioned above is a bit unstable when used on the 12C. I have talked to AIM about the issue and a possible solution would be to use a CANalyzer at AIM headquarter near Milano in Italy to track down the problems on the protocol layer.

One thing I don't like about the AIM system is the still very unflexible software to create the overlay layouts. You can choose from a list of (very basic) stock dials but cannot add your own graphics. With VVBOX HD, you can add your custom made 12C instrument cluster.

Installation wise, the AIM system is a bit more straightforward. Less cables. Both need an external laptimer (OLED for Racelogic, a SOLO DL for AIM). As far as I know, both timers are offering predictive laptiming.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much McDc. I'm not sure if it has been tried, but do either offer a video output that could be pumped into the new IRIS's video in port?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks McDc. Trying to find a solution where nothing would be visible from the stock car, but starting to get the feeling that's not going to happen. :(

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Racelogic's VBOX no doubt!

I am about to get one installed into my 12C! 4 cameras. Not HD though, but thats ok I think for the track stuff. Very good interface to the 12C, including throttle and break pedal, steering wheel and other things it can record.

I am thinking about getting the new VBOX HD on top of the normal VBOX which would make it 5 cameras, one in full HD, the other 4 you do not need in big anyway, you overlay them onto the HD image. You can use them together, so no issue there.

5 cameras would be:
1) HD view through windshield to the front
2) SD view on either of the sides of the car or from the front maybe, low on the ground.
3) SD view of the pedals
4) SD view of the driver
5) SD view out of the rear

Sound setup both left and right outside somewhere, good location to pickup the sound of the engine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fabian, would all those camera's be permanent/stealthy mounts? Meaning you don't have to reset them up every time? Also, any idea if it can run like a dash cam?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Racelogic's VBOX no doubt!

I am about to get one installed into my 12C! 4 cameras. Not HD though, but thats ok I think for the track stuff. Very good interface to the 12C, including throttle and break pedal, steering wheel and other things it can record.

I am thinking about getting the new VBOX HD on top of the normal VBOX which would make it 5 cameras, one in full HD, the other 4 you do not need in big anyway, you overlay them onto the HD image. You can use them together, so no issue there.

5 cameras would be:
1) HD view through windshield to the front
2) SD view on either of the sides of the car or from the front maybe, low on the ground.
3) SD view of the pedals
4) SD view of the driver
5) SD view out of the rear

Sound setup both left and right outside somewhere, good location to pickup the sound of the engine.
This is not going to work Fabian. There is no way to connect the new HD cam to the VBOX Pro system which is built to work with SD cams only. Of course you can fiddle and sync it all together manually from different files in post processing with Adobe Premiere or Final Cut but I'm not sure that is what you really want.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
McDc, would it work sans the HD cam? Meaning, you have 4 or 5 SD feeds, and the software would automagically sync them up?

And what do they record to. Is there some easy to pull SD card or something like that? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
McDc, would it work sans the HD cam? Meaning, you have 4 or 5 SD feeds, and the software would automagically sync them up?

And what do they record to. Is there some easy to pull SD card or something like that? Thanks.
There is the PRO version of the VVBOX, that can sync and record from up to 4 SD cams. All sources are combined into one picture with graphical overlay of rpm/gps etc. in realtime (near that is) and written to SD card.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/Store/products.php?product=Video-VBOX-Pro-20Hz-and-Four-Camera-Kit

The systems price however is PRO too..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
This is not going to work Fabian. There is no way to connect the new HD cam to the VBOX Pro system which is built to work with SD cams only. Of course you can fiddle and sync it all together manually from different files in post processing with Adobe Premiere or Final Cut but I'm not sure that is what you really want.
Hi there, that actually is exactly what I want :)

I will setup timing on the vbox pro, same on the hd, to easily sync the two, then setup the full look on the HD and paste in thevbox pro video setup into it via adobe premiere...
at least thats the plan :)

For now, I am doing VBox Pro only...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Hi there, that actually is exactly what I want :)

I will setup timing on the vbox pro, same on the hd, to easily sync the two, then setup the full look on the HD and paste in thevbox pro video setup into it via adobe premiere...
at least thats the plan :)

For now, I am doing VBox Pro only...
That sounds like an awful lot of work ;)

IMHO, to improve your driving skills, all you need is a VBOX Lite with 2 cams, one to film the track, another one to film yourself "at work".

Keep in mind, that the SD picture itself is rather low resolution and if throw in another 3 PiP areas, the scene gets quickly busy and crowed.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is the PRO version of the VVBOX, that can sync and record from up to 4 SD cams. All sources are combined into one picture with graphical overlay of rpm/gps etc. in realtime (near that is) and written to SD card.

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/Store/products.php?product=Video-VBOX-Pro-20Hz-and-Four-Camera-Kit

The systems price however is PRO too..
Holy crap. At that price I can drop in a Mac mini or linux box, drop in a few wifi cams, tinker about for 2 days, and have a way more uber setup.

To be fair to the manufacturer, it may be a low volume item and that's the way they make their money back, but still, IRIS starts looking reasonably priced! :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That sounds like an awful lot of work ;)

IMHO, to improve your driving skills, all you need is a VBOX Lite with 2 cams, one to film the track, another one to film yourself "at work".

Keep in mind, that the SD picture itself is rather low resolution and if throw in another 3 PiP areas, the scene gets quickly busy and crowed.
Yeah, I need to test how it looks I guess... But right now the plan is using the Pro simply doing one main view of track, one bigger PiP of the pedals, one smaller PiP of driver at work and a smaller PiP of outside of the car.

Should work fine, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Holy crap. At that price I can drop in a Mac mini or linux box, drop in a few wifi cams, tinker about for 2 days, and have a way more uber setup.

To be fair to the manufacturer, it may be a low volume item and that's the way they make their money back, but still, IRIS starts looking reasonably priced! :)
Unlikely...

Unless your Mac Mini or Linux box has an accelerometer and a 100Hz GPS system with high accuracy.

Also, even your Mac Mini will be considerably bigger.

Any Wifi cam will be much worse than these bullet cams too.

Although I agree that it is expensive, do not underestimate what it can do.

The software that comes with it is worth quite a bit too.

I thought though hardware wise its too big and outdated, I agree with that.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Expense when tracking to get better times and more accuracy is tossed out the window.

I am looking for 2 cameras on my 360C - any suggestions?

A track coach is 1200 - 1500 a computer coach is about half so the cost isn't bad if it's easy to apply.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts