McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks for posting. I like how he calls the Ring challenge........Ferrari will take that bait........maybe not. Porsche will roll out their tame magazine editor to drive the 3 cars.......maybe!

He seems to say the P13 will have 'design language' so it will have P1 accents, presumably, and as we thought will compete with the base Turbo or GT3 performance wise.

Frank is a good ambassador for Woking and the Brand.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think the last line in this answer regarding the 'Ring is more or less the best "hint" they can give in an obscure interview on the sidelines without blurting it out:

FS: No, I can’t! I’d love to tell you because I’m personally very proud of it, I’ll tell you that much. And if it ever came down to somebody wanting to test their LaFerrari, Porsche 918 and McLaren P1 on the track, same day, same conditions, same driver, with no prejudice or anything, I'm absolutely sure the P1 couldn’t lose. That’s as far as McLaren will probably ever tell anybody. We’ve gone way under 7min and we’re happy.
_way_ under 7min.

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Way under 7...
And it seems they are trying not to set the time for others to beat.

And he's happy with it.. 6.40.. or 6.30...

I guess it was quick.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
McLaren tech guys also told us in MTC that they got to "their target". Their target was NOT simply 6:59....

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Way under 7...
And it seems they are trying not to set the time for others to beat.

And he's happy with it.. 6.40.. or 6.30...

I guess it was quick.

Clever Brand management? Smart marketing? No, he is pleased and happy.........after seeing Andy drive at Dunsfold and how flat the car is, how fast it is I'm a Believer.:eek:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
What a freak'n great interview and really good information filled piece. It's about as good a spin as you're going to get on the Ring issue; they've clearly chosen the ferrari line of "yea its an awesome time, but we won't tell you" line of marketing.

The P13 sound really exciting.

A bit of a dump on the 12C unfortunately. I wish the interviewer followed up with what the plans are near term for the middle of the line, and further out, when there might be a complete redesign.

Thanks of for posting this Drifter!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Clever Brand management? Smart marketing? No, he is pleased and happy.........after seeing Andy drive at Dunsfold and how flat the car is, how fast it is I'm a Believer.:eek:
I don't doubt that kinda time is possible when you see it in the good guys hands. Mr c is of course included in that category. !

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Ego, all creative guys have to manage their reputation. That is what drives a lot of them. He would have done it differently..........he did pay a back handed compliment by saying it stands out on the road.

But I agree he did not have to degrade it.........he could have said it is a great start and my big challenge is to improve it!

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
+1

He was poached in 2008 so a bit limp [and disloyal] to disown the 12C.
It was clear from the beginning that the 12C was already done when Frank joined McLaren. Yes, he did a few tweaks here and there but it is not his "child". I can't see anything wrong with what he said to be frank. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1

He was poached in 2008 so a bit limp [and disloyal] to disown the 12C.
Disown? I seriously don't agree with you Pete. He's just telling it as it is and in no way does he come across as taking credit for it, that's called honesty. I bet his tweaks improved the design before it was launched. And I bet we'll all be thankful for his contribution if there ever is a 12C facelift in the pipeline. Stop eating sour lemons. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Ego, all creative guys have to manage their reputation. That is what drives a lot of them. He would have done it differently..........he did pay a back handed compliment by saying it stands out on the road.

But I agree he did not have to degrade it.........he could have said it is a great start and my big challenge is to improve it!
Who was the original designer of the 12C? While obviously biased, I really like it, and think it's one of the best designs period. Like to see what else they worked on.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It was clear from the beginning that the 12C was already done when Frank joined McLaren. Yes, he did a few tweaks here and there but it is not his "child". I can't see anything wrong with what he said to be frank. ;)
As a 12C owner, I got to disagree. His comments come across a bit like, all he could do is put a bit of lipstick on a pig.

FS: Er, yeah that was like marrying a woman that already had a baby. I was coming in at the late stages of the game so it was pretty much baked, you could say – there was only about a year, or even less before launch and it had already been engineered. My interpretation, when I first saw it was, OK it's a nice car but it's a bit generic – there's not one part of the car where you could say that's absolutely McLaren.

All I could do was little tweaks as the design was already out there. I was able to change the headlights, the front bumper, a bit of the interior – things like that, small details. So I can't claim any responsibility for the car looking like that. All I did was some changes to give it a bit of uniqueness.
It's taking credit for any good bits, and disclaiming the rest. A bit of eating your cake and still having it too. While perhaps it's his honest opinion, from a marketing vantage, as a customer, not exactly warming the cockles of my heart to hear a company spokesman, the lead designer no less, telling me he tried the best he could to doll up my plane jane car.

Yea, the more I mull it over and suck on my sour grapes, the more this irks me. But hey, that's just me.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
OK, we can get our own back when the P13 is leaked, tell him straight.......the 911 is better.....much less generic, lol

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Credit McLaren's talented race team! :)
Thanks Drifter. They also did the F1, right. So not exactly chopped liver. But did they have a lead person or two that get the nod as the folks that penned the overall shape? Curious who the folks are.

·
Beyond P1
223 Posts
I had thought there was more FS in the 12C. I love the design, but it's now looking a bit pedestrian next to the P1. It won't help sales if the new entry-level car overshadows it in design.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts