McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I departed Fort Worth on the first leg of what has turned into a six week road trip that will take the McLaren to Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, Chicago, Rapid City, Memphis, Biloxi, Pensacola, Fort Rucker, Orlando, New Orleans, and finally back to Fort Worth. Today's run was just over 9 hours, and 600+ miles. I was able to average 68 mph and 24.6 mpg for the day, including some sections that wound the turbos up significantly. This is an amazing vehicle. It was comfortable, fun, engaging, and performed flawlessly. The K40 performed as advertised on those wide open TX and NM highways. Being able to ID sources from the front or back really helps in building situational awareness. The additional 10 minutes per fuel stop to answer questions and have pictures taken was the only drawback. Really looking forward to seeing how she performs over the continental divide at altitude, but with the turbos I don't expect to notice it at all. Wish some of these western states still had Unlimited speed limits...:cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
.......is there enough space for socks and underwear for 6 weeks...... :p

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.......is there enough space for socks and underwear for 6 weeks...... :p

Have a wonderful and safe trip!
Was actually quite surprised at how much will fit in the boot, even without the fitted luggage. One does have to be selective in packing and being "summer" helps, but as long as laundry is available each week, no problem. And there is always FedEx if you collect too much stuff along the way...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Tarrow, some of my motorcycle touring buddies swear two panty liners per day, so 14 on a two week trip, saves luggage space!

I know, to much information.But when space is at a premium, habits have to change! It does allow interesting discussion with the girls in the travel party about the trade off between various brands.....

Keep posting about your trip and pics as well.......remember we folk in Europe are not familiar with your route.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
400?!! You're a funny guy.
Actually, one of the three fill ups yesterday was 320 miles with 50 still left on Range. Not sure what algorithm they are using to compute range, but it is quite accurate. After fill up it usually reads about 220, the depending on driving patern, it goes as low as 120 or as high as 365. It is interesting to see an almost instantaneous impact based on driving style. Very useful when you've missed the "last gas" exit in NM...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Actually, one of the three fill ups yesterday was 320 miles with 50 still left on Range. Not sure what algorithm they are using to compute range, but it is quite accurate. After fill up it usually reads about 220, the depending on driving patern, it goes as low as 120 or as high as 365. It is interesting to see an almost instantaneous impact based on driving style. Very useful when you've missed the "last gas" exit in NM...
That's impressive, and hope you don't run out of those hermetically sealed bags andy c was talking about. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip. Please post some pics.... The McLaren enthusiasts from the R.O.W. would love to see pics of our great county. Heck I would too!

Drive safely.;)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have yet to get 200 miles out of a fill up, too busy flooring it. Have no desire to do a 300 mile low RPM drive.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have yet to get 200 miles out of a fill up, too busy flooring it. Have no desire to do a 300 mile low RPM drive.
Well someone's enjoying their cars ability to go fast. Yeeeee haaaaa keep up the good work Markjaywow mash that peddle to the metal. Cheers....??

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
:) On a long run....

My current 635bhp wheels get 320 from 65L

So I figured on the motorway the 12c should do similar..
Hmm, interesting. Tuned 911 or GTR maybe.... Raging Bull?
So that equates to c22mpg and to be fair the 12C will do that easily on a run. I've seen 28 (on the trip) when other traffic has dictated the speed. Problem is, the fuel light comes on, range disappears as it's very pessimistic, then it only takes 60 litres to fill! Could have gone further.

·
Registered
232 Posts
No one buys this car for MPG, but I have had a hard time reconciling the reported MPG with my own gallons and miles calculations. I've wondered if the MPG is based on imperial gallons and doesn't pencil in the US. Anyone know the answer?

BTW, I find the car is quite efficient if it is loafing along, but uses the expected amount of fuel if it is worked. No surprise there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts