McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents,

Sitting here in my first house, nothing to do but ponder politics or cars and the former is substantially more troubling so... a thought occurs to me. At first glance, and this has been my impression from the day I saw it, the Veneno is just a gauche, ridiculously over-done, piece of shock-art. But what if it isn't? It represents downforce and weight reduction -vs- electrical systems and complexity.

The latter probably represents a more sustainable path to reduced petrol consumption and performance. All of these theories and discussions about battery life and power regen and all of this vanish in a moment don't they? And its cheap. Once done, some carbon fiber wings are no more expensive than any other carbon fiber wings, just a bit of time in a wind tunnel or on someones trick software.

And the weight savings will always save fuel, and how much fuel is saved in real life driving by these hybrid systems is really a question of (how much power can be regenerated) minus (how much weight is added). Over-running a motor to generate electricicty to keep your battery system on full boil over teh course of a lap wastes fuel relative to just running petrol. It must, because it can't be 100% efficient.

The Veneno is forgotten for now, isn't it? Considered a bit of a joke. But I think we might see cars more like it in the future than like the hybrid trinity.

g'day

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think the Veneno has active aero. That means the beastly wing will always be a drag, reducing mileage. Your first impression was correct.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Also, although it is always nice to think that way. Hardly anything in the P1's hybrid system was built for Eco-driving but instead to optimize power usage. :) it does have a nice side effect, but things like the P1 burning more fuel than it needs to regen the battery at certain times kinda does not sound so Eco friendly :)

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
but things like the P1 burning more fuel than it needs to regen the battery at certain times kinda does not sound so Eco friendly :)
If you put a much larger battery in the car the resulting changes, due to the higher weight, would likely make it less eco friendly and reduce enjoyment of the car. I say less eco friendly because the higher weight would probably means it would burn more fuel all of the time (not just on regen) because it would require more displacement and it would also use up tires more quickly.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gents,

What I meant to relate was that these complex hybrid systems are fascinating and will probably do better than most people thinkn out on the roads and over time, but I read a thread recently somewhere that suggested that the Veneno was more closely related to how Le Mans cars are built.

The thought was that a Le Mans car is basically a huge rolling piece of aero, with the fenders and bodywork sort of set up to channel air around a central teardrop. The poster then suggested that the Veneno appears to be a bit similar in concept.

So I was just wondering if someday a car built dramatically around aerodynamics could turn in better lap times than a complex hybrid. The P1 has the most advanced aero ever for a road car maybe, but its not even close to the downforce of a race car.

Hope that made sense. Basically an "all aero" car with inevitably radical and extreme styling might represent a future alternative for a hypercar than these hybrids.

'evening folks

·
Mark Antar Design
1,870 Posts
Gents,

What I meant to relate was that these complex hybrid systems are fascinating and will probably do better than most people thinkn out on the roads and over time, but I read a thread recently somewhere that suggested that the Veneno was more closely related to how Le Mans cars are built.

The thought was that a Le Mans car is basically a huge rolling piece of aero, with the fenders and bodywork sort of set up to channel air around a central teardrop. The poster then suggested that the Veneno appears to be a bit similar in concept.

So I was just wondering if someday a car built dramatically around aerodynamics could turn in better lap times than a complex hybrid. The P1 has the most advanced aero ever for a road car maybe, but its not even close to the downforce of a race car.

Hope that made sense. Basically an "all aero" car with inevitably radical and extreme styling might represent a future alternative for a hypercar than these hybrids.

'evening folks
How come, when it has as much downforce as a GT3 car with even greater ground effect?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How come, when it has as much downforce as a GT3 car with even greater ground effect?
My error. Ground effect isn't seperate from downforce, however.

I just meant to say that I'd read an interesting conversation on some forum somewhere that made me think. If instead of heavy battery backs and stuff, people just made really nice motors with very heavy aero design, perhaps influenced by LMP1 cars... would that prove faster around a circuit than these hybrids? And while the P1 has some crazy aero, its still generating just a fraction of the downforce of many types of race cars...

Just a thought, I'll let it slide. And I cannot for the life of me locate where I read the posts that led up to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts