McLaren Life banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a fan of Bruce McLaren, I came across the Bruce McLaren Trust in NZ. It appears to be a bit of a shoestring operation, but they claim to have a museum in Auckland. Anyone know anything about them?

The web site:

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/index.php

I was also thinking the original Racing team shield would be fun to put somewhere on the car

·
Registered
886 Posts
I bought some stuff from them. Great outfit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a follow up, I was recently in Auckland and made a trip to the "Museum." I did not expect much, but was very pleasantly surprised. It is small, but it is truly fantastic and a must see if you get to NZ and have a real interest in the roots of McLaren.

The Trust and its museum are located in the original McLaren family garage, and in the tradition of the day, Bruce lived in the family home above the garage; the garage still operates under separate management to this day. The Trust is in the original family home upstairs, and one of the museum rooms is Bruce's childhood bedroom. Bruce's initiation to all things automotive began there, and he spent much of his time downstairs in the shop learning about the cars being worked on as part of his father's business.

Jan McLaren, Bruce's younger sister, operates the Trust and is the most gracious hostess and guide you could possibly want. I think she spent about 2 hours with my wife and I on a weekend, taking time to meet us when the museum would normally be closed. The Museum is packed with all kinds of fascinating memorabilia, like Bruce's original wooden tool chest and many of his, Denny Hulme's and Chris Amon's trophies.

One tidbit I learned was that the current operation of McLaren Cars in Woking is the result of a merger between McLaren (after Bruce's death) and Ron Dennis' race team then known as Project 4. Well the "MP4" prefix for modern cars stands for "McLaren Project 4," something I never knew.

I will try to post more photos after I get a chance to download them from my camera, but for now here is an iPhone shot of the Museum - the entrance is the small door in the left center that has the logo for the Bruce McLaren trust above it if you look closely.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
As a follow up, I was recently in Auckland and made a trip to the "Museum." I did not expect much, but was very pleasantly surprised. It is small, but it is truly fantastic and a must see if you get to NZ and have a real interest in the roots of McLaren.

The Trust and its museum are located in the original McLaren family garage, and in the tradition of the day, Bruce lived in the family home above the garage; the garage still operates under separate management to this day. The Trust is in the original family home upstairs, and one of the museum rooms is Bruce's childhood bedroom. Bruce's initiation to all things automotive began there, and he spent much of his time downstairs in the shop learning about the cars being worked on as part of his father's business.

Jan McLaren, Bruce's younger sister, operates the Trust and is the most gracious hostess and guide you could possibly want. I think she spent about 2 hours with my wife and I on a weekend, taking time to meet us when the museum would normally be closed. The Museum is packed with all kinds of fascinating memorabilia, like Bruce's original wooden tool chest and many of his, Denny Hulme's and Chris Amon's trophies.

One tidbit I learned was that the current operation of McLaren Cars in Woking is the result of a merger between McLaren (after Bruce's death) and Ron Dennis' race team then known as Project 4. Well the "MP4" prefix for modern cars stands for "McLaren Project 4," something I never knew.

I will try to post more photos after I get a chance to download them from my camera, but for now here is an iPhone shot of the Museum - the entrance is the small door in the left center that has the logo for the Bruce McLaren trust above it if you look closely.
Great post, thanks for sharing! Please do upload some more of your photos. :)

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Thanks so much. Actually got a bit of a chill looking at those photos. Did Jan mention if all the material in those binders has even backed up electronically?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not ask about backup of the records. What is too bad is that the War Museum in the Domain in Auckland has a room and quite a few displays to Sir Edmund Hillary, but nothing at all about Kiwis Denny Hulme, Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon. Everest was quite the accomplishment but to devote nothing to Kiwi racers is a bit sad.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Very cool. Thx. I need to order something to support the trust !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts