McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seriously - how indeed do you top a night like this?

This evening I was invited to attend the official launching of McLaren Kuala Lumpur - the star attraction being of course the white P1 prototype that was last seen in China. There was also a 12C Can Am there which has been bought by a local Malaysian.

I had a close look around both cars, but of course the bulk of my time was spent drinking in every detail of the P1 and just savoring being in its presence.

Best of all, I got to spend a significant amount of time with McLaren Automotive Head of Design Frank Stephenson Santos sitting in the P1 as he talked me around the car in detail.

Frank was an awesomely nice guy - when I told him who I was, here and on Facebook, he greeted me as an old friend and shared many of his passions, inspirations and opinions on both the P1 and other cars. In addition to the P1 itself, it was how well I was treated as a dedicated McLaren enthusiast that truly made it a night to remember.

Back to that original question - how do you top a night like this? Well, as a McLaren enthusiast.... With a day like tomorrow.

Tomorrow I go back to spend an entire day with the P1. So stay tuned; there's still more to come.

Good night all

A huge shout out of thanks again to my friends at McLaren Kuala Lumpur, the people at McLaren Automotive who permitted the P1 to be shown here, and especially Frank Stephenson Santos for an awesome night to remember!

PS: Frank reads McLarenLife and FerrariChat as a hobby, and laughs often and loudly at the sillier antics and comments we get up to sometimes; he's encouraged me to post more.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
Wow, that's a great night! I'm jealous! :D

-nh4.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Great pics and info.........please tell more.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some things I was told in confidence and can never be shared - but I'll report as much as I'm allowed to.

It's late now, gotta be up early tomorrow. Night guys. Thanks for the support - more to come soon.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Frank gets to sit in the F1 and talk cars plus gets the girls.......tough on the guy:cool:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I was a bit disappointed when I found out Kuala Lumpur was a country. I always thought it was a cross between a bear and an Umpa Lumpa, you know, cute but a really hard worker.

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
The Can Am Edition was looking beautiful.

So are those ladies, who I am sure forced Frank to pose with them. :D

Glad you got to see the P1. :)

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've a few snaps too sent from a very good friend of mine over at the event!
Thanks for sharing Drifter. I might actually know your friend, as there were only 2 or 3 cameras that took that last shot of Frank and the ladies (in addition to someone helping Frank take a snap with his BlackBerry), and I know 2 of them ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Incredible, perhaps even more incredible is that you top that day somehow?!?!
I don't know how I'd do that - maybe having a chat with Gordon Murray in his F1 XP3?

It could happen some day; 2 years back I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd get to see a P1 in person. Or meet Frank and get to have such wonderful and enlightening conversation with him.

Anyway, looking forwards to a wonderful day ahead with the P1 again. Cheers :cool:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was a bit disappointed when I found out Kuala Lumpur was a country. I always thought it was a cross between a bear and an Umpa Lumpa, you know, cute but a really hard worker.
Kuala Lumpur is our capital city; our country is Malaysia. Although McLaren KL is actually located in a separate township called Mutiara Damansara, which is still a pretty nice place with its Western style shops, cafes, and strong expatriate presence.

Google exists.. ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Can Am Edition was looking beautiful.

So are those ladies, who I am sure forced Frank to pose with them. :D

Glad you got to see the P1. :)

>8^)
ER
Thanks Erik - it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and major dream come true.

Heading off now back there to spend today with the P1 - she will sadly be gone tomorrow.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Kuala Lumpur is our capital city; our country is Malaysia. Although McLaren KL is actually located in a separate township called Mutiara Damansara, which is still a pretty nice place with its Western style shops, cafes, and strong expatriate presence.

Google exists.. ;)
Only a gag, courtesy of Milton Jones. Doesn't matter.
And some fell on stony ground....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts