McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless you are Ferrari, cars with exorbitant maintenance and repair costs have terrible resale value-Aston Martin, Bentley, Maserati are good examples. The huge number of McLarens for sale at any point in time vs Ferrari 488 highlights the problem.
It seems obvious what McLaren needs to do to reduce cost of ownership which runs $6,000 per year for a 570S for just annual maintenance and warranty.. My 2015 Huracan runs about $700 for service and has needed only one very minor repair.
1) Allow 3rd party annual service or reduce dealer prices
2) Offer extended warranties at reasonable prices. The comment I have seen repeatedly is that you don't want to own a McLaren out of warranty. I never had an extended warranty on my Ferrari or Lamborghini but can go to independents for repairs and reliability is much higher, I believe. Huracans are astoundingly reliable. Why should it cost $4,000 per year to warrant a McLaren which is only driven perhaps 1,500 miles p0er year? I believe McLaren should offer multiple warranties with one option being for 2500 miles or less a year with no track use. $2,000 would seem reasonable for this.

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,287 Posts
Mclaren could add in a 5 year fee service and extend the initial warranty to 5 years as well. I thin Ferrari gives first 5 years of service free. The longer warranty would allay many fears. Increase the price by $20k if you need to cover it.

·
Owner
545 Posts
Mclaren could add in a 5 year fee service and extend the initial warranty to 5 years as well. I thin Ferrari gives first 5 years of service free. The longer warranty would allay many fears. Increase the price by $20k if you need to cover it.
Ha try seven! Ferrari includes 7 years free maintenance on all new vehicles.

Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,287 Posts
Ha try seven! Ferrari includes 7 years free maintenance on all new vehicles.
even better. But they still have only 3 years of warranty. I remember back in the 80s, I think it was Chrysler, put out a 10year/100,000 mile warranty as a way to fight the perception that US were crap quality (they were), and it helped a lot.

a 7/7 maintenance/warranty by McLaren could go along way to rehabilitating perceptions of quality.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
is that great. I would guess that most early cars were priced in the 370 range. Is losing say 40%, ie 150 out of 370, in 3 years considered good?
minus the cherry picking of examples for our discussion, I defer to the banks/financial arms for estimates from lease paper work...

not "good" but thats pretty average between most cars. Ive leased many many cars in the past and expected residual for a 3 yr 10k mile lease is somewhere about 60% plus or minus 5%. Obviously the mileage amount is a big difference...... I havent looked into ferrari/lambo lease deals in a while but if I recall they are all about the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Getting involved in one of these discussions about McLaren resale values is like tap-dancing in a minefield, but here I go. I just saw a YouTube video about the new, very limited Sabre. I think it looks like some kind of Speed Racer mobile, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What Mac should be doing, just my opinion, is beefing up quality control and insuring that EVERY car that leaves the factory is screwed together correctly. Also stop the Chef's Special merry-go-round of new "Specials" that seem to appear with regularity every 6 months or so. I think Flewitt needs to go if he is satisfied with the way the company is proceeding; I'll change that, he needs to go. Porsche was on its last leg in the 80's limping along trying get 911 drivers to fall in love with the 928 and 924. They brought in Peter Schultz, born in Germany but working in the US at both Caterpillar and Cummins and he resurrected the company. The 911 that had been destined for the dustbin was revitalized, and with that and racing successes he encouraged helped turn Porsche around. Later after his tenure Porsche, (God forbid!!!) started making SUV's and I think everyone knows how that story turned out. I want to see Mac succeed, but they seem to be determined to keep doing what they're doing, burning the furniture to heat the house, stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
is that great. I would guess that most early cars were priced in the 370 range. Is losing say 40%, ie 150 out of 370, in 3 years considered good?
I think that's pretty normal for an exotic in that price range after 3 years, and it will improve each year going forward.

The depreciation is only bad on the 720S if you sold after 12 months. If you kept the car 3-4 years, the depreciation is pretty normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Getting involved in one of these discussions about McLaren resale values is like tap-dancing in a minefield, but here I go. I just saw a YouTube video about the new, very limited Sabre. I think it looks like some kind of Speed Racer mobile, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What Mac should be doing, just my opinion, is beefing up quality control and insuring that EVERY car that leaves the factory is screwed together correctly. Also stop the Chef's Special merry-go-round of new "Specials" that seem to appear with regularity every 6 months or so. I think Flewitt needs to go if he is satisfied with the way the company is proceeding; I'll change that, he needs to go. Porsche was on its last leg in the 80's limping along trying get 911 drivers to fall in love with the 928 and 924. They brought in Peter Schultz, born in Germany but working in the US at both Caterpillar and Cummins and he resurrected the company. The 911 that had been destined for the dustbin was revitalized, and with that and racing successes he encouraged helped turn Porsche around. Later after his tenure Porsche, (God forbid!!!) started making SUV's and I think everyone knows how that story turned out. I want to see Mac succeed, but they seem to be determined to keep doing what they're doing, burning the furniture to heat the house, stay tuned.
These are exotic depreciating assets. they arent investments and even the ones that are, your better off buying bitcoin, I just think that what my mclaren does for me every Glorious mile I put on it, is worh the loss of money. I mean if you cant loose 15-20k a year owning a car then dont own the car buy a prius.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts