McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having lusted after the 12C since launch,up until Wednesday, I have successfully convinced myself that the car was an extravagance that was best enjoyed in anticipation, research, and occasional visits to the dealer to see one up close. Wednesday, I made the fatal mistake of taking one out on a test drive. And in that post orgasmic stupor, I pulled the trigger on a deal that was too good to pass up. So much for logic and restraint. Now, I'm sitting here for the next five days waiting to pick it up while they correct a few gripes and install the clear shield. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa! So, what temped you to join the "more money than sense" club, you ask? It was a 2012 coupe with 1100 miles that was traded after 5 months for a spider. It's standard blue, with full leather red and black zoned interior. CF options include mirrors, turning vanes, interior, seat backs, sill panels, engine covers, engine bay and a CF air brake. Super light weight wheels, steel brakes w/orange calipers, sport exhaust, and electric seats round it out. All of the updates have been incorporated. All for significantly less than the MSRP of a baseline coupe with no options! While I feel sorry for the original owner, it will be a while before I can get this smile off my face. The aesthetics are amazing and the performance... Lets just say that I've had cat shots that didn't throw me back in the seat like this car did. Anyway, just wanted to let you know there will be another happy owner next week if I can survive the wait.

Attachments

·
Owner
893 Posts
Congrats..... and welcome to you. Very lovely looking specimen you've got. :)
Personally, I want to get all these extra cars gobbled up and into new owners' hands; it does none of us good (re-salewise) to have a glut of unsold vehicles sitting around.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Congrats bro best wishes for you and your car. Put fuel, finish fuel, put fuel, finish fuel, shower rinse repeat!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Congrats bro best wishes for you and your car. Put fuel, finish fuel, put fuel, finish fuel, shower rinse repeat!
Not just the car ???:D
There is plenty of info out there to keep you going for five sleepless nights,as early owners many of us survived on such tiny snippets,i dont know how we coped,congats on joining the club!!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Very nice! Doesn't it feel better to have it than not:)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Congrats on a beauty!

I bought a Bentley from those guys last year and gave them a shout to see what they had but ended up going with Lake Forest.

Assume it's a later 12 because it has the cf air brake - something I wanted but couldn't find on the right combination.

Curious are you applying any windshield protection - not sure if the Mac has soft glass like the Ferrari.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice! Doesn't it feel better to have it than not:)
I pick it up in about three hours. It feels like Christmas morning and waiting to see if my new bike is really under the tree! But yes, it does feel great!:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Congrats on a beauty!

I bought a Bentley from those guys last year and gave them a shout to see what they had but ended up going with Lake Forest.

Assume it's a later 12 because it has the cf air brake - something I wanted but couldn't find on the right combination.

Curious are you applying any windshield protection - not sure if the Mac has soft glass like the Ferrari.
If I couldn't make a deal with Dallas, my next option was LF. As they say, timing is everything. The car is a 10/12 build. Hadn't heard about any glass issues. I don't think my full front wrap includes the glass. But will revisit the issue. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
If I couldn't make a deal with Dallas, my next option was LF. As they say, timing is everything. The car is a 10/12 build. Hadn't heard about any glass issues. I don't think my full front wrap includes the glass. But will revisit the issue. Thanks for the heads up.
I was told by Mark who knows his wrap what to have done.

Remove factory bra at the doors it's supposedly thick and cover with the new clear bra along with the cf turning veins.

When speaking with your dealer they have a 2500.00 package which didn't include rear section or turning veins nor windshield which LF also offers.

Had them add everything but windshield and completely forgot about the shoes which I will add today.

·
Registered
914 Posts
congrats, blue looks great... I would do those super lightweight wheels in the stealth finish....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I saw a standard Blue last year and thought it very classy. Deep and rich colour. Impressive .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got home from picking the car up. There seems to be something wrong with the odometer... It indicates that I put over 100 miles on the car to make the 45 mile trip home.:D. Must be why there's unlimited mileage on the warranty.

OK, now for my initial assessment of the vehicle as an owner:
Appearance - 10/10.
Power/Performance - 10/10
Handling - 10/10
IRIS - 3/10
Overall - 9/10

Very pleased with the car, but as many of you know, IRIS was a big disappoint. Using an iPhone 5, pairing was as advertised, but it would not transfer contacts to the car. Making it almost useless for outgoing calls. (Like I memorize phone numbers anymore.) incoming calls worked 4.0. All the music on the phone was available on IRIS, but after selecting shuffle on the play list, the cover art did not match the play list. Music also seemed to distort when selecting any of the active handling/performance pairings. Navigation - next to useless. Is ok for situational awareness, street names, etc. but the system froze up after the first route recalculation. Tried rebooting. No joy, bug only started to track position again after restarting the car after a stop. Radio worked fine. It really is a shame that IRIS flaws detracted from an otherwise perfect outing. There are some workarounds, but you do have to ask yourself why Garmin can provide super nav in a $100 standalone unit and Apple iPods/iPhones work as advertised on other automotive platforms. Is it enough to make me walk away, no way, but it does make me want to press for what was promised as a full system.

Thanks for all the comments/interest in the car. Looking forward to racking up lots of miles and smiles. And all things considered, it's been a great start.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts