McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been ready since Wednesday but business commitments prevented me from taking it until this evening.

I wanted to collect the car from the dealership because it's only about 5 miles away, so David at McLaren Birmingham kindly kept the dealership open late and arranged for my wife Alison and I to be collected from home (in no less than a Rolls-Royce Ghost!) so that we could both enjoy the experience of the first drive in the MP4-12C together.

The handover was great, David really knows the car inside-out and would probably have willingly spent all night taking us through every detail of the car if we'd wanted, but as you can probably imagine I was itching to get it out on the open road, so we'll fast forward to the moment of truth...

The car fired up with an assertive roar, 1st gear selected, handbrake released, a light queeze of the throttle and the McLaren pulled of beautifully (infinitely smoother than my M3's often snatchy M-DCT transmission). For me the position of the indicator stalks and all controls is pretty much perfect, visibility is good, we're off! (Note: Contrary to rumour, McLaren do recommend that the car is run in for the first 650 miles and that involves keeping the revs below 5,500 and above 2,000 wherever possible, not using engine braking or full throttle). I'm going to stick to this in order to ensure the maximum longevity and performance thereafter.

I have driven a demonstrator with the optional inconel sports exhaust. I elected to retain the standard exhaust on my car because there was no performance advantage in the optional unit - If there had been an extra 20 BHP I would have had to have it but there isn't so I didn't - I was a bit concerned that the standard exhaust might sound less sporty but I have to be honest, without comparing the cars almost side by side I really can't tell the difference. For me, the soundtrack is great in normal powertrain mode, you can hear the exhaust note, the turbos spinning up and on over-run the engine discretely pops and crackles. Forget what you've heard before, the M838T is characterful and fantastic. It's a noise you can live with all-day, every day on long and short journeys, on the road and on the track. Far more vocal than a 911 turbo but without the constant speed drone of some of the more boy-racer focused supercars. In my humble opinion the Sport and Track mode noise is too much for all but the occasional blast. Even in light-footed 'running in' mode the power delivery is very impressive.

The suspension system is unlike anything I've ever experienced on a road car. Even in Normal mode, when driving over lumps and bumps (and especially cats' eyes) you hear the noise you'd expect from a car with near solid tyres and track-ready suspension (because that's what the MP4-2C has), however you're almost completely isolated from the physical effects you'd normally expect. As you switch the handling mode to Sport and then Track settings, the amount of noise stays constant but the physical transmission of the road surface progressively increases: It's a very alien experience at first but after 1/2 an hour or so at the wheel you get used to it.

Handling. WOW. Corner at what would be near the limit of a 997 turbo and the McLaren is unruffled. I'm going to need a lot more miles at the helm before I'll dare explore its real capabilities on the road and to be honest a McLaren track day with an experienced MP4-12C pilot like Chris Goodwin is what's really in order! It's worth noting that on the road the MP4-12C is wider and lower than I'd realised, so you need to be very cautious over speed humps!

So I've now driven over 100 miles on motorways, country lanes, through towns and villages. The McLaren is awesome and so far I have not experienced any 'beta test' gremlins. I suspect that at some point I will encounter some because that's the potential trade off for being one of the first real-world customers to own an MP4-12C. My only hope is that in the event of any issues they and I am dealt with in a manner that lives up to the McLaren reputation.

Note: Iris is not fully functional at the moment because McLaren have allegedly had some issues with their development partners. For me this is no big deal because if given the choice of a 3 month delay or having the car now with Iris to follow then I would absolutely have taken the car now!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow ! impressive ! congratulations ! now i cant wait for mine :( ! btw did they give you an Ipod or iphone because the IRIS wasnt ready ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
thanks for your write up and congrats on your new car!!

i test drove one this week and know exactly what you mean - the suspension is something I've never experienced before

·
Phil
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
btw did they give you an Ipod or iphone because the IRIS wasnt ready?
Yes, I was given a McLaren branded 32GB iPod touch... I've not even opened the box yet though - A twin-turbo V8 is enough music for my ears at the moment!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Squirrel, thanks for posting, keep up your posts with the miles...

What is your spec?

What do you think of the steering and brakes, iron?

What about the drive/roll on compared with 997T?

Pics

OK GO FOR A DRIVE AND LET US KNOW LATER.......

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
My car has been ready since Wednesday but business commitments prevented me from taking it until this evening.

I wanted to collect the car from the dealership because it's only about 5 miles away, so David at McLaren Birmingham kindly kept the dealership open late and arranged for my wife Alison and I to be collected from home (in no less than a Rolls-Royce Ghost!) so that we could both enjoy the experience of the first drive in the MP4-12C together.

The handover was great, David really knows the car inside-out and would probably have willingly spent all night taking us through every detail of the car if we'd wanted, but as you can probably imagine I was itching to get it out on the open road, so we'll fast forward to the moment of truth...

The car fired up with an assertive roar, 1st gear selected, handbrake released, a light queeze of the throttle and the McLaren pulled of beautifully (infinitely smoother than my M3's often snatchy M-DCT transmission). For me the position of the indicator stalks and all controls is pretty much perfect, visibility is good, we're off! (Note: Contrary to rumour, McLaren do recommend that the car is run in for the first 650 miles and that involves keeping the revs below 5,500 and above 2,000 wherever possible, not using engine braking or full throttle). I'm going to stick to this in order to ensure the maximum longevity and performance thereafter.

I have driven a demonstrator with the optional inconel sports exhaust. I elected to retain the standard exhaust on my car because there was no performance advantage in the optional unit - If there had been an extra 20 BHP I would have had to have it but there isn't so I didn't - I was a bit concerned that the standard exhaust might sound less sporty but I have to be honest, without comparing the cars almost side by side I really can't tell the difference. For me, the soundtrack is great in normal powertrain mode, you can hear the exhaust note, the turbos spinning up and on over-run the engine discretely pops and crackles. Forget what you've heard before, the M838T is characterful and fantastic. It's a noise you can live with all-day, every day on long and short journeys, on the road and on the track. Far more vocal than a 911 turbo but without the constant speed drone of some of the more boy-racer focused supercars. In my humble opinion the Sport and Track mode noise is too much for all but the occasional blast. Even in light-footed 'running in' mode the power delivery is very impressive.

The suspension system is unlike anything I've ever experienced on a road car. Even in Normal mode, when driving over lumps and bumps (and especially cats' eyes) you hear the noise you'd expect from a car with near solid tyres and track-ready suspension (because that's what the MP4-2C has), however you're almost completely isolated from the physical effects you'd normally expect. As you switch the handling mode to Sport and then Track settings, the amount of noise stays constant but the physical transmission of the road surface progressively increases: It's a very alien experience at first but after 1/2 an hour or so at the wheel you get used to it.

Handling. WOW. Corner at what would be near the limit of a 997 turbo and the McLaren is unruffled. I'm going to need a lot more miles at the helm before I'll dare explore its real capabilities on the road and to be honest a McLaren track day with an experienced MP4-12C pilot like Chris Goodwin is what's really in order! It's worth noting that on the road the MP4-12C is wider and lower than I'd realised, so you need to be very cautious over speed humps!

So I've now driven over 100 miles on motorways, country lanes, through towns and villages. The McLaren is awesome and so far I have not experienced any 'beta test' gremlins. I suspect that at some point I will encounter some because that's the potential trade off for being one of the first real-world customers to own an MP4-12C. My only hope is that in the event of any issues they and I am dealt with in a manner that lives up to the McLaren reputation.

Note: Iris is not fully functional at the moment because McLaren have allegedly had some issues with their development partners. For me this is no big deal because if given the choice of a 3 month delay or having the car now with Iris to follow then I would absolutely have taken the car now!
Not that easy keeping it below 2000rpm in auto around town is it!,30mph ,1000rpm in 7th.One thing ive just found out,i thought it was ltd to 4000 at stand still when you are revving it,not so,a friend asked me to rev it at stand still,got to 7000 before i realised and his dog s--t itself and ran for home!!!!
Great isnt it,have to admit i have done a bit of engine braking into a corner,but im up to 350miles so i think i will be ok,i am being generally careful though,but should be using all 8500 by the middle of next week.need to go an get another newspaper now!!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not that easy keeping it below 2000rpm in auto around town is it!,30mph ,1000rpm in 7th.One thing ive just found out,i thought it was ltd to 4000 at stand still when you are revving it,not so,a friend asked me to rev it at stand still,got to 7000 before i realised and his dog s--t itself and ran for home!!!!
Great isnt it,have to admit i have done a bit of engine braking into a corner,but im up to 350miles so i think i will be ok,i am being generally careful though,but should be using all 8500 by the middle of next week.need to go an get another newspaper now!!
LOL! This is great, living vicariously through you andy on a daily basis now. Would have loved to see the dog's face, though! :)

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
sQUIRREL. That looks the dog's b___ks. The dark standard wheels really match the colour which is.....Ice Silver......or....

·
Registered
600 Posts
All eloquently put and I agreevwith all you said. Trouble is I can't stop driving mine and every time it's better than the last:D out for dinner tonight so I chose a convenient restaurant about 30 miles away:rolleyes:No drinking now. Dah

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
All eloquently put and I agreevwith all you said. Trouble is I can't stop driving mine and every time it's better than the last:D out for dinner tonight so I chose a convenient restaurant about 30 miles away:rolleyes:No drinking now. Dah
So whats the next 3500 revs like Bruce???
only one minor problem at the moment thats not electrial based,the small flap that hides the key under the side strakes is working loose but i dont think it will fall off.
Does anyone know where you can buy orange gaffer tape,just need a quick fix!

·
MmmmcLaren
1,375 Posts
silver-induced neurosis...

Congratz' on the acquisition/arrival, all the best towards many years of undeniable driving bliss! :D
Standard Silver...
Great, just great... right when I decide on Titanium Silver after being bemused by Graphite Grey for close to a year, Standard Silver gets into my mental mix! :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
lovely car, with lovely wheel choice. having driven the demo on full revs, you guys will not believe it when you get there, it reminded me of the first time i cained my f430, and terrified myself through lack of the experiece, i never though i would experience anything more exciting again after having the cars i have had, well the 12c done it for me again, and i cant wait for mine,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congrats on the car.
I have driven it at red line and the sound and performance is incredible, i dont know how you contain yourself.:rolleyes:
I think the suspension is going to be the biggest surprise for all the new owners coming out of other exotics. It has to be driven to be believed.
I spent a couple of hours on LA freeways in an LP550 today i was pleading for a 12C, back and neck will ache for days now.:eek:

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Congrats on the car.
I have driven it at red line and the sound and performance is incredible, i dont know how you contain yourself.:rolleyes:
I think the suspension is going to be the biggest surprise for all the new owners coming out of other exotics. It has to be driven to be believed.
I spent a couple of hours on LA freeways in an LP550 today i was pleading for a 12C, back and neck will ache for days now.:eek:
Luckily for me ive have a few times in the red with the PP car,it is difficult to hold back,and have slipped a couple of times,but then ran on for another 100 miles feeling quilty,im sure there will be customers out there who will be far more brutal, but should be near my target by wednesday.
Im sure your right about the suspension,i couldnt go back to the norm now

1 - 20 of 33 Posts