McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"MP4 will change your life".... well yes it certainly changed mine for three months, however I've decided to stop looking now and I've contacted my dealer to that effect (who was trying to find a car for me).

Reliability, my dealer is just to far away for me to visit them 5-6 times a year (including service) to have problems fixed, to encourage second buyers I think Mac/dealer should pay for transporting the car to/from the dealer if over 120 miles away.

If this had been the case notwithstanding the problems these cars have I'd still have purchased one because then I wouldn't have all the messing about because I still think they're fantastic cars.

I've even cancelled a Mac track day I was going to attend because I know if I still went on that I'd have ended up with a 12C and regretted it later for reasons above.

P13, I do think this will be well sorted given the lessons learned by Mac on the12C and this will be on my list along with the 2015 R8 V10, Jag F-Type RS (1971 since I last owned a Jag)

I've had some good conversations with some of the board members on here who have always given good advice and I thank them all for that.

So to finish I'd just like to wish everyone a happy and prosperous future

Geoff :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Geoff the Mclaren is an exotic not the girl next door.

My dealer is 300 miles away and after owning the car for a few months I have no reason or foresee a reason to visit them.

The Mac is more than well sorted IMO and there isn't a car I would rather own at double the price.

Best of luck!

Jkheit - LOL!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Best of luck, wish I could clone my car for you to put your mind at ease. In fact, I wish I could clone my whole ownership experience for you, as it has been stellar, with so many awesome memories after only a year and a half. Happy hunting and do keep in mind that car forums always attract the 'issues', large and small so don't let that put you off of everything. Also, don't cancel the track day, every gear head deserves to experience a McLaren on a racetrack at least once in their life, if even from the passenger seat. Cheers we'll be here with open arms if you come back! :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm sorry you had difficulty. Eventually averages do come into play, and they can't be perfect. I hope you take some time to consider your options as you sally forth.

Good luck!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Very wise not to jump in, as I personally don't think McLaren is going to be around for the long haul. They "talk the talk, but can't walk the walk". Just far too many issues, especially for a company that boasts about it's quality AND reputation. 12C just isn't ready for primetime, with only a small dealer/support network. Anyways, good on you for doing your homework and reading these forums first.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Very wise not to jump in, as I personally don't think McLaren is going to be around for the long haul. They "talk the talk, but can't walk the walk". Just far too many issues, especially for a company that boasts about it's quality AND reputation. 12C just isn't ready for primetime, with only a small dealer/support network. Anyways, good on you for doing your homework and reading these forums first.
You don't think Mclaren is going to be around for the long haul?

Enlighten me.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Lul wut...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Did I read this right? A guy who never bought something has decided not to buy it. Hold the front page! :p
Yes confused to, he has "Owner" tag?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Good luck Geoff,hope you find what you want,see you around :)
But even in the worst scenario its still worth the buzz,and now everthing is sorted you would have to be very unlucky to get a problem car,i think you have dug yourself into a hole where you think its the norm.We might just see you back!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its a shame that you are not getting your 12C because you hear of a few owners with poor experience. Every brand has it's fair share of problems. I had a 12C coupe for 15 months and just bought a spider this month. When the brand is new, you cannot possibly expect it to have a dealer near you unless you are staying in a major city like London. My experience with both my dealer and the car has been very good.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a Sept 12, 12c, and have now covered 10k miles in it. I have been on three track days, used it about 3 days a week on average, done a trans-european trip at speed through Germany, etc. The car has only needed petrol and 3 new rear pads, and has been rock solid. Once needed a reboot, and even Iris has only locked up twice. No car I've ever owned has even come close to the overall driving satisfaction, and reliability has been absolutely fantastic. (Sorry, I lie, it went back for upgrades at their expense, and had a new filler cap, and a loose bit of panel glued in the engine bay - all totally FOC)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm sure Geoff that you will come around to your senses bite the bullet and buy one of these babies it's just a question of time, wishing you all the best. Cheers....??

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is the not the only exotic I have owned but the one that I have clocked the most mileage on ... I am always looking for an excuse to drive the car.:p

Yes you should certainly go for the track day!;)

·
Registered
715 Posts
This is the not the only exotic I have owned but the one that I have clocked the most mileage on ... I am always looking for an excuse to drive the car.:p

Yes you should certainly go for the track day!;)
Absolutely. In another thread you can read about how visceral the track experience with one of these girls is for a noob.

It's like watching your wife do pole dancing. You look at her differently. All of a sudden, the dust doesn't matter.

Just an analogy, boys.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts