McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to give thanks to Sean, a McMedic, for fixing my headlights and changing the oil in my 12C at my house. He showed me how to change the oil and I am confident that many owners are capable of doing this without spending thousands of dollars at McDealer. Thanks again Sean for fixing my radio too. The antenna wire was not connected to the bumper.

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
I want to give thanks to Sean, a McMedic, for fixing my headlights and changing the oil in my 12C at my house. He showed me how to change the oil and I am confident that many owners are capable of doing this without spending thousands of dollars at McDealer. Thanks again Sean for fixing my radio too. The antenna wire was not connected to the bumper.
So glad you were pleased with the personalized and exceptional service we strive to deliver! From the smallest of jobs to the most complex, Please call upon Sean or myself to assist with your needs. The flying McMedic's are always excited to bring your McLaren up to speed with a personalized visit!

Kevin
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
I'm glad to do it! A welcoming family always helps the experience for me, and good pizza doesn't hurt my feelings either. It's always a treat to find things a dealer did wrong so I can correct them and get everything working properly. Very glad it was such an easy fix.

Reactions: Bob_D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gosh thats strange place for the antenae. How do you get access to it. I might attach a booster or better antanee. Or even relocate it.

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
Gosh thats strange place for the antenae. How do you get access to it. I might attach a booster or better antanee. Or even relocate it.
There is no easy way to boost it, it's not a standard antenna plug so you'd have to do some modification. The antenna itself is a metal plate, not a rod. This is assuming it's a coupe, spyders are in a different spot, in the glass.

As far as access goes, take the frunk tub out and you can get to it without removing the bumper.

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
Sean and I are at it AGAIN.... :)

Kevin P
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
Owner
830 Posts
There is no easy way to boost it, it's not a standard antenna plug so you'd have to do some modification. The antenna itself is a metal plate, not a rod. This is assuming it's a coupe, spyders are in a different spot, in the glass.

As far as access goes, take the frunk tub out and you can get to it without removing the bumper.

Is this the antenna wire??? I accidentally unplugged this in my 12C, and after HOURS of studying we absolutely can’t find where the other end plugs in. Can anyone pinpoint or diagram where the other end goes???

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
View attachment 212679
Is this the antenna wire??? I accidentally unplugged this in my 12C, and after HOURS of studying we absolutely can’t find where the other end plugs in. Can anyone pinpoint or diagram where the other end goes???
Mark... Hold tight - I will take a few pictures of my car to help out.

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
The Antenna wire is SHORT and connects to a bolt (grounding point) just under the front bumper bar.

The BLUE ARROW shows mine was repaired in the past as well.

The RED ARROW shows The bumper grounding point for the wire shielding (this is the external part of a two conductor wire)

Be aware their should be a center (i.e. separate) insulated white wire that connects to the flat curved antenna plate attached behind the front bumper.

·
Registered
2016 570S
8 Posts
hey, do you have the contact information for McMedic? I'd love to have them show me these maintenance things too! Thanks!

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
hey, do you have the contact information for McMedic? I'd love to have them show me these maintenance things too! Thanks!
Check your PM's, I responded

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
FYI. I think you guys can do well around Austin. Nearest dealers are Dallas and Houston, i.e., far! I see a fair number of maccas out here.

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
FYI. I think you guys can do well around Austin. Nearest dealers are Dallas and Houston, i.e., far! I see a fair number of maccas out here.
It starts with 1 person needing work done. I'm making single car trips but if there are enough to stay for a week we certainly will.

·
Vendor
“I’m a Tuner”
1,059 Posts
Hi Zombie,

Austin TX sounds like an awesome trip! I will PM you to discuss logistics and possible dates.

Sean (@EMF Audio) and I had a blast here in Corona CA for the past 7 days!

We worked on 8 different cars, including a 720s, 650s’s, 12C’s, and a 570s… we even got surprised with a request to tackle a Mercedes G-Wagon too!

And I got to check off a bucket list item!

@nordstat owns “Drive The Dream” and his company has several amazing exotic rentals and paired us up with a Ferrari 458 Italia for an amazing day of canyon/ mountain driving through the hills of Malibu California!

I consider myself a very accomplished driver, but was very surprised to find that Sean is “THE Wheel Man”! We made several videos with a GoPro 360 and hand held cameras, basically it was amazing and could not stop smiling the entire drive!

I’m sure the footage will be available soon for those to admire his handiwork behind the wheel of @nordstat’s Ferrari 458 Italia. And a big shout out for allowing us the opportunity to drive such a cool car while on vacay from our personal McLarens.

Of course there was plenty of sweat and hard work, but in the end every customer was smiling and happy with the results achieved on their McLarens.

It was awesome to meet everyone! McLaren, owners are such an amazing group of people!

Kevin P
Supercar Garage
Kennesaw GA

·
2012 MP4-12C
8,522 Posts
Im sadly new to the area and not really settled yet. So I dont really know anyone in the area yet. But I've seen a lot of Maccas even way out of Austin in the boonies, so I imagine with all the Dotcom dudes relocating to Austin proper, and that the nearest dealers are in Dallas and Houston (ie far away), there may be pent up demand.

Maybe someone more connected from Austin will chime in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Antenna wire is SHORT and connects to a bolt (grounding point) just under the front bumper bar.

View attachment 212680

The BLUE ARROW shows mine was repaired in the past as well.

The RED ARROW shows The bumper grounding point for the wire shielding (this is the external part of a two conductor wire)

Be aware their should be a center (i.e. separate) insulated white wire that connects to the flat curved antenna plate attached behind the front bumper.
Looking how basic this is it looks simple enough to get a car radion antenae booster - connec to cigarette light in the frunk and have better radio signal.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Looking how basic this is it looks simple enough to get a car radion antenae booster - connec to cigarette light in the frunk and have better radio signal.
i think mac already has an antenna booster in the car somewhere. and boosters only boost,garbage in,garbage out!
on some mp4 with iris2 update,the bumper antenna is disconnected and replaced by a dash mounted antenna.

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
i think mac already has an antenna booster in the car somewhere. and boosters only boost,garbage in,garbage out!
on some mp4 with iris2 update,the bumper antenna is disconnected and replaced by a dash mounted antenna.
Spyders have antennas in the windshield, nothing in the bumper.

2012 MP4-12C
1,372 Posts
i was talking about early coupes .seems the upgrade involved installing a different antenna .
I've never seen a coupe that didn't have a bumper antenna. I have also seen IRIS 2 with bumper antenna, all updated from IRIS 1 without antenna change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts