McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last weekend I had the oppourtunity to test drive the Tesla P85+ sedan. It all started 2 weeks prior when my girlfriend and I were in Yorkdale Mall doing some Christmas shopping. The dealership is located inside the mall so it's more of a boutique. Think of it like an Apple store except it's for cars and it's far less obnoxious.:)
The sales person we dealt with was very nice, laid back and knew her stuff. After kicking the tires for about 15 mins, she asked if I'd like to book a test drive, I said "yes", and scheduled a drive for next Saturday morning.

We arrived 15 minutes early, as instructed, so we could go through the pre-drive prep. Walked to the underground parking garage where the black P85 was parked. First impressions, Styling: I've seen a few of them on the roads but this is the first time I've ever got a really good look at one. The car is quite handsome, elegant and has typical front engine-rear drive proportions, classic long dash-to-axel ratio. All good then, but I couldn't help to think it's overall look was a bit 'safe'. I tend to think something this progressive and forward thinking in it's engineering should also be reflected in it's styling. I'm thinking something more along the lines of the Citroen Numero 9 concept or the Pininfarina Sintesi would be more appropriate and exciting. Maybe Tesla did not want to shock too much?

The interior is also nice. It's clean, modern and thankfully devoid of a lot of bling that seems to be all too common lately. It's comfortable and airy, especially with the massive glass roof. It has a full LED instrument panel and a large touch screen center console. Some of the graphics used can be a bit difficult to read and certain pages of the touch screen are a bit too busy. They could learn a few things from the P1's instrument panel. The salesman told me a lot of the switches are taken from Mercedes-Benz and the 'transmission' selection stalk is from an S-class.

Driving. As soon as you start moving you are immediately transported to a different world. It's a very new experience for me. It's just so damn quiet. My dad and my girlfriend were also in the car and all three of us were very quiet as well, trying to take it all in. I couldn't help but wonder what was going through my dad's head at that moment, being born in wartime Italy, comming to Canada at a young age, and now, in his seventies, being driven around in some strange alien Spacecraft.

Once out of the underground parking, we're met by a stop sign, with about 400ft of open road ahead before the next one. The salesman tells me to "floor it". "Holy Shit" are the the first words out of my mouth. The torque and acceleration are shocking. Keep in mind that this car weighs over 4600lbs and there were 4 adults in it. I was expecting it to be fast, but not that fast. Very impressive for a big sedan that weighs as much as an X6. Again, very strange, all that speed with just a subdued 'whirring' sound from the car but in a weird way, it's actually the silence that makes it more dramatic.

Driving on the highway was a no-go that particular day. As the other members on this forum from the Toronto area can attest to, driving on the 401 around Yorkdale Mall during the holiday shopping season on a Saturday is not...pleasant.

Driving the car with some vigor around bends is when you really start to notice the weight. It does get sluggish and you feel quite a bit of 'push'. It's not a Cayman, but then again, you don't really want it to be and nor should it be. Driving normally, the car is smooth, quiet and comfortable. I have no doubt the car would make an excellent long distance Grand tourer, provided there are enough AC outlets along the way.

The car does have a brake-regen mode which can thankfully be turned off. It comes in automatically as soon as you come off the throttle but it just felt awkward. The salesman tried to tell me that it was designed to feel like a manual car down-shifting, but I wasn't convinced. Why would you want that 'jerky' motion in a big luxury sedan? It ruins the experience a bit.

The torque and acceleration of this car are addictive and to me the silence enhances the sensation of speed. I can't really explain it properly, but it does. Every time I nailed the throttle, I just giggled like a fool. It's a lot more fun then I thought it would be.

There is a lot to take in with this car and it almost needs a second test drive to really come to a more thoughtful conclusion. 45minutes of driving wasn't enough. The experience is very different, a little shocking at first, but then intoxicating, for me. I love what Tesla is doing here, I love the thinking behind the car and I absolutely love that 'Futuristic' feeling you get driving it. Of course there are some issues with the car. The range is a bit limited (about 470 Km, I think) The Infrastructure for charging is probably not where it needs to be right now, colder weather does negatively affect range and battery technology really needs to catch up. It's also pricey, about $115,000 for the model I drove.

When we left, getting back into a car with a combustion engine felt a little like riding a Dinosaur. Who knows how things will change but driving the Tesla does really make you question things. I asked my dad what he thought and he said he loved it. "Dat's da Future.." he said in his thick Italian accent.

One thing I will say, To all those forum members who used to play with toy spaceships as a kid while making 'SWOOSHING' sounds...Your time has come.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
MPB. I was super impressed with the Tesla as well. I found it had a bit of Dr. Who about it. It felt bigger on the inside. The 3rd row, and the cavernous feeling in the front cabin were unexpected and cool. The fit and finish on the model I was in was fantastic.

I love that ginormous jumbo tron they put in the car.

For a sedan, it felt fine and zippy. The aesthetics could be sweeter on the outside, but it's still a very handsome car. If I didn't just get a 12C mere months before, i would have bought one not he spot.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MPB. I was super impressed with the Tesla as well. I found it had a bit of Dr. Who about it. It felt bigger on the inside. The 3rd row, and the cavernous feeling in the front cabin were unexpected and cool. The fit and finish on the model I was in was fantastic.

I love that ginormous jumbo tron they put in the car.

For a sedan, it felt fine and zippy. The aesthetics could be sweeter on the outside, but it's still a very handsome car. If I didn't just get a 12C mere months before, i would have bought one not he spot.
:)
Dr. Who is a good way to put it.
Yup. That 'rumble seat' is pretty cool.
I must say, a 12c and a Tesla would make an great pair. They perfectly compliment each other.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I must say, a 12c and a Tesla would make an great pair. They perfectly compliment each other.
My sentiments exactly! I've owned my Model S for about a year and love it. It carries 5 adults, 4 golf bags, has an HOV lane sticker and still goes like stink. With the P+ suspension and Michelin PS2's I'm convinced it handles as well or better than an M5, my previous benchmark for large sedan handling.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Nice writeup thanks MPB. Never been a fan of the tesla personally but I do enjoy reading other ppls views and thoughts.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've driving a Model S P85 for almost a year now, I doubt I will ever have a gas car for an everyday driver again, Tesla is so far ahead, amazing car, can't say enough about it.... and this is just the beginning...

you get used to the regen, after a few hours with the car it's smooth, you basically one pedal drive and don't use the brakes much at all.

rumor has it there will be an two motor AWD Model S with 600HP...

me vs my friend's Gallardo a few weeks ago... when we went from 1st gear, he was way behind... the Tesla's "instant on" power is so much fun...

·
Registered
356 Posts
McLaren supercar owners are the most likely to buy a Tesla...

..when adjusted for number of vehicles on the road in the U.S.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-who-buys-tesla-model-s-20140210,0,2355894.story#axzz2swAUWOqt

Why are exotic car owners big into Teslas?

“It is either because they are so wealthy that they can add another toy to the collection,” Libby said, “or they could be looking for a more practical vehicle. They have a family of five and it’s hard to take them anywhere in a Lamborghini.”

Or maybe they are attracted to exciting new automotive technologies and fast cars. That certainly was the case for me with both purchases.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I've driving a Model S P85 for almost a year now, I doubt I will ever have a gas car for an everyday driver again, Tesla is so far ahead, amazing car, can't say enough about it.... and this is just the beginning...

you get used to the regen, after a few hours with the car it's smooth, you basically one pedal drive and don't use the brakes much at all.

rumor has it there will be an two motor AWD Model S with 600HP...

me vs my friend's Gallardo a few weeks ago... when we went from 1st gear, he was way behind... the Tesla's "instant on" power is so much fun...

Yes that's the one I'm looking at getting if and when it becomes available. It should be interesting to see this baby in action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts