McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my driver side lower tail light has heavy condensation in it today. Went through a power touchless wash last night, car gave me a fault in the dash this morning so I checked it out the light is still working but flickers. Wondering if anyone knows how to pull these out, Also replacement cost and where I can purchase one? going to dry and pull it out and dry it first as it is still working just flickering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming you don't have the ESC warranty? If so, it's covered. Especially with a fault light.

-Troy

No, Troy unfortunately I don't down here in Canada I don't feel its justifiable. Hoping to see if I can source a light. btw great videos watch them all the time, one of the reasons I got a 12c over any other car was how much I enjoyed watching yours in your videos.

·
Registered
543 Posts
No, Troy unfortunately I don't down here in Canada I don't feel its justifiable. Hoping to see if I can source a light. btw great videos watch them all the time, one of the reasons I got a 12c over any other car was how much I enjoyed watching yours in your videos.
Much appreciated!

As for the removal process, there should be a little piece of plastic that comes out with screws behind there. I'm not in front of my car, or I'd get a picture. I know there's on in towards the wing.

-Troy

·
@ChaseZimmerman
355 Posts
its odd that the light is still working but flickers.
Mine did the exact same thing when they failed. It was intermittent and would sometimes work, other times flicker and sometimes not work at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So where is the DOT number, on the face or on the bottom?
If it is 1st gen. You have to update all of them.
If it is 2nd gen. You can replace just that single light bar.

Tail lights are not covered under warranty.
So I reached out to my local Pfaff mclaren Toronto, seems you are correct in that I have to replace both sides. How do these prices sound. I was Quoted 551 for all 4 lights, and 900 for labour 5hrs @ 180$ and was told in total 1451 + Tax

·
@ChaseZimmerman
355 Posts
So where is the DOT number, on the face or on the bottom?
If it is 1st gen. You have to update all of them.
If it is 2nd gen. You can replace just that single light bar.

Tail lights are not covered under warranty.
Just to correct you here, they are covered under warranty when a fault is produced. If it's condensation with no fault, they are not covered (as it's considered aesthetic). The moment a fault appears, it is a safety issue and immediately is covered under the ESC.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: Just thought I'd share my experience, We managed to change both the upper and lowers without removing the rear bumper, Pushing the grilles forward from the inside once tires and fender liners were out its a tight squeeze but can be done. Second thing we noticed right away, was 1 of the 4 lights was already the new design in my car. So I'm not sure why everyone seems to say that if you have the old design all 4 must be changed. As this is not true. the newer one on my car had a manufactured date of October 2015. Which means it had been in the car since 2015 or 16, and was working perfectly fine with the old set. I never noticed any colour difference or voltage difference.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who runs into this problem in the future. Don't be fooled by mclaren telling you all 4 need changing. Just replace the one with condensation or that is no longer working if you don't have warranty and save your self a chunk of change.

In the end I ended up doing all 4 because 3/4 were still the old design, and I had already purchased a new kit.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Update: Just thought I'd share my experience, We managed to change both the upper and lowers without removing the rear bumper, Pushing the grilles forward from the inside once tires and fender liners were out its a tight squeeze but can be done. Second thing we noticed right away, was 1 of the 4 lights was already the new design in my car. So I'm not sure why everyone seems to say that if you have the old design all 4 must be changed. As this is not true. the newer one on my car had a manufactured date of October 2015. Which means it had been in the car since 2015 or 16, and was working perfectly fine with the old set. I never noticed any colour difference or voltage difference.

Just thought I'd share for anyone who runs into this problem in the future. Don't be fooled by mclaren telling you all 4 need changing. Just replace the one with condensation or that is no longer working if you don't have warranty and save your self a chunk of change.

In the end I ended up doing all 4 because 3/4 were still the old design, and I had already purchased a new kit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts