McLaren Life banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
this is my first activity in this forum :)

I bought a 650S Spider last year. Now I would like to install a (hidden) GPS tracker for the case the car would be stolen. Yes, I know there is an origin system installed - but I don´t want to spend 300€ a year to use it by McLaren.
I bought a tracker for 30€ which allows to switch something on or off by SMS. Normally the petrol pump will be switched off to stop the car, but I think that is dangerous. Could end in a damage of the car, because no assistant force to steering and brake by engine. So, my idea is to switch in neutral gear. The motor still runs, but no power to the wheels. Has anyone did that before? I think it should be possible to use the tracker function in parallel to the neutral button on center console!? Does anyone know, if it is possible to use a contact at the electric connection of shifting module in center console? Or is it necessary to open the module and contact it inside - because maybe the signal will be changed to CAN signal internally?

Thanks in advance
Joachim

·
Premium Member
“I’m a Tuner”
951 Posts
I have installed several hundred GPS tracking modules for automobile dealers and fleet vehicles. Many of those have a "kill feature" in the situation as if it is a Buy-Here/Pay-Here vehicle and the Dealer wants to deactivate the vehicle when a person is not paying.

The first challenge I envision you will have is the operator of the vehicle could just re-engage Drive, therefore you would need to constantly resend the SMS instruction to put the car in neutral.

There are other ways to accomplish your end goal. It would be helpful to have a deeper understanding of the scenario you envision needing this feature.

Please send me a PM to connect and discuss further. Glad to help you devise a solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ima2nr,
PM has been sent :)

According to wiring instruction and function discription the tracker should stay with switch signal. I don´t know what the car electronics will do if the operator will press the "D" additionally!?
GPS_tracker_TK103B_wiring_plan.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts