McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In spirited road driving on bumpy roads I am not convinced the vertical control is adequate as the car bottoms out or gets uncomfortably 'choppy'. This only happens at speed on bumpy or undulating roads, sometimes A roads, and a reduction in speed is the result.

I notice that the P1 suspension has extra chambers to control vertical movement primarily to get consistent aerodynamic performance.

Any other owners see vertical movement control a suspension issue?

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I know exactly what you mean RIC,but I think were the confusion is, is that you are travelling 20mph quicker than you would be in any other sportscar.I have done this myself with the 997 turbo and it bottoms out at slower speeds on the same piece of B road,as for a GT3 I was following !! He had to give up fairly quickly for fear of loosing his front .This was in sports mode,i would suspect in normal it might be a bit more bouncy!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not normally Ric... What mode were you in?
Typically I am in Holiday mode on tour hence the variety of fast twisty off motorway roads. The car is usually in Sport/Sport with short burst in Track until the noise GOYT's or my wife questions 'what's wrong with the car, it's making a funny noise?'

Seems to me that the vertical wheel movement gets out os sync with the road bumps/compressions ie it hits the next bump/undulation whilst still reacting to the last.

My guess is the next generation suspension will deal with this similar to the P1 multiple chamber shocks.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know exactly what you mean RIC,but I think were the confusion is, is that you are travelling 20mph quicker than you would be in any other sportscar.I have done this myself with the 997 turbo and it bottoms out at slower speeds on the same piece of B road,as for a GT3 I was following !! He had to give up fairly quickly for fear of loosing his front .This was in sports mode,i would suspect in normal it might be a bit more bouncy!

Andy, in a way you are pointing out what needs to improve on the next generation and how to beat Porsche on the road!

Ron, we need better vertical control or the ability to change ride height below 120 mph (in Germany)

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I actually believe there is a problem with the damping (bound) on bumpy roads at higher speeds. In fact I experienced the car bottoming out at the Ring consistently at three points and I was not even going very quick. Not good.

Since I'v never read anything similar here until that point in time I thought something is wrong with the hydraulics or dampers on my car and asked the dealer to check it. They couldn't find anything wrong.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
McDc. This is what happens on normal roads ( normal as not on track ) unless smooth and funded by EEC grants ( as in the north of Spain ).

My instinct is that it is a compression rebound issue but I guess. I also have experienced this at lowish speeds, ie 70 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts