McLaren Life banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok no posts for a while and car has been running well. Good in mountain roads, good on expressways and good in heavy Tokyo traffic.

Cold weather is now setting in where i am based and this is the first cold weather for the car being 4 months old. So we clear it's garaged everyday but when I have the odd 'early start' I leave it out overnight under a car port ..... The past two weeks and two early starts, say 4am, it has been around -2c to 3c

On starting to drive the car the front left and right areas make some creaking and funking sounds - I suspect it's just the suspension (or whatever it's called) areas being so cold that they need to warm up ..... However yesterday the steering column area started making the same creaking noises.

My guess it's the materials and fluids at the cold temperatures ...... Anyone had / having the same issues in cold climates?

Note : from 3,000 rpm once the oil is warm, the roof is down, then I can't hear the groans anyway

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Indeed ..... Sleeping under my carport in -2c you'd be very creaky and cranky .... And still have to -24c to go when I get cranky

Just wanted to hear if owners in same environs having the same ..... This isn't the tires, I know that sound etc

Never had the issue with lambos but I think purely as the deafening racket from the Larini exhausts hid all the noises including wife shouting 'its too early'

·
Registered
144 Posts
While on this topic. Does anyone know what the minimal "optimal tire temperature" must be before the tires get "sticky". Now that the weather is getting colder I know that the tires have been spinning occasionally when accelerating hard and up shifting. Just a little concerned about getting the tires warmed up sufficiently before venturing out into the twisty roads

·
Registered
107 Posts
Cold Weather

Noe - I get the same sound under about 3C and it only lasts for a minute or so. The only other cold weather issue is that the doors need to be closed with a little more effort when cold. This is my second winter with the car and it does very well in the cold. Enjoy!

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Very common NOE,there is a technical term for it that escapes me,but its nothing to worry about,its more to do with the surface you are moving on rather than the temperature ,but that will have a factor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the replies.

It wasn't something I was going to rush to the dealer with but was wondering 'is this normal'? maybe I should play music but I really never drive and listen to music

I have not found the door harder to close yet as I am still getting use to the 'single index finger' flick down to close it ..... Shall See how the door stiffens as the temperature plummets

@ blue NSX - certainly no technical reply to you .... I seem to figure 15-20mins of driving but depends on ambient temperature / if in garage overnight / road areas too .... Here it becomes pretty much -15 to -20c every night so the roads stay cold ... Daytime with sun hops to 10 to 14c ....... The tires feel terrible on first use but after 15-20 mins you notice a big difference. ....... Issue with the cold is snow coming. With the sow comes the salt even if you stick to just sunny times and midday - ie - avoiding icey times

1 - 9 of 9 Posts