McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the exact weight of the super lightweight rims? If possible I need the individual weights of the front and rear without tires mounted. Cheers....??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Surprised if that info is nowhere to be found. I ordered them, despite their looks, for the rotating/unsprung mass issue. Insiders?

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
If anyone is interested.. I'll be able to provide a weight for one of the rears at some point this weekend. I busted one on a pothole a few weeks ago and had to replace it but took the old one back for use as a table or something so I'll put it on a scale at some point before sticking some glass on it....

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Surprised if that info is nowhere to be found. I ordered them, despite their looks, for the rotating/unsprung mass issue. Insiders?
I happen to think they are the best looking wheels times 1000. If you don't have ceramic brakes, the other wheels make steel brakes look very tiny.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I happen to think they are the best looking wheels times 1000. If you don't have ceramic brakes, the other wheels make steel brakes look very tiny.
They do look cool in stealth. I ordered some winter wheels too, but there is only one stock option for those. Variety is the spice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
13.9 kgs for the rim alone can't be right.. The p turbo one was around 10.5 and considered heavy. My damages are around 5.5kgs...
If that's is correct I would try to put a real light wheel on an mp4. When I put dymags on my tt it was as if I improved engine, brakes, suspension in one go. The difference was very impressive..

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm under the impression that it must include the tire, I hope. ? Waiting on feed back from isv?? Cheers.....??

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying, was an unusually good day here in the UK yesterday so i took the car out for a run...

Reweighed everything again, 13.0 kg for the rim, and that's just the rim with no tyre. My original weight was with the box initially as I couldn't get it on the scale properly without the box and I assumed the box plus some styrofoam would be a lot lighter than when i reweighed it to check.

Would a porsche turbo 20" rim really only weight in at ~10kgs?! wow.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Sorry for the delay in replying, was an unusually good day here in the UK yesterday so i took the car out for a run...

Reweighed everything again, 13.0 kg for the rim, and that's just the rim with no tyre. My original weight was with the box initially as I couldn't get it on the scale properly without the box and I assumed the box plus some styrofoam would be a lot lighter than when i reweighed it to check.

Would a porsche turbo 20" rim really only weight in at ~10kgs?! wow.
Thats heavy!! But i know they are looking at CF rims for the P1 as an mso option,provided they can get the quality they want and one that is built as a one piece:cool:

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Thats heavy!! But i know they are looking at CF rims for the P1 as an mso option,provided they can get the quality they want and one that is built as a one piece:cool:

I have to admit I didn't initially have any thought whether that was heavy, especially as I vaguely remember someone telling me before that 997 GT3 19 rears were 30lbs or something.

Getting a CF barrel for the P1 rims should already make a big difference without going the full works of a one piece CF wheel surely for purposes of reducing unsprung rotating mass. Although the Agera R seems to have CF rims now so the tech clearly exists I suppose, no reason MSO wouldn't do it as well.

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
I think 'heavy' maybe stretches it a bit too far, but 10.5 to 11 kg would be more compliant with a wheel coming from McLaren and called "superlightweight".
I was just thinking what the standard ones weigh???

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to admit I didn't initially have any thought whether that was heavy, especially as I vaguely remember someone telling me before that 997 GT3 19 rears were 30lbs or something.

Getting a CF barrel for the P1 rims should already make a big difference without going the full works of a one piece CF wheel surely for purposes of reducing unsprung rotating mass. Although the Agera R seems to have CF rims now so the tech clearly exists I suppose, no reason MSO wouldn't do it as well.
CF tech has existed for some time, the now defunct Dymag had produced rims with CF hoops. Now HRE is in the process of doing the same, I figured there must be a reason for the delay in mass production of these rims. Which is most probably due to initial costs as well demand for super expensive rims on top of TUV and DOT approvals. Then those of you who are prone to curbing your rims well this could be devastating, to your pocket book and the structural integrating of the rim, hence garbage. I would love to get a set of CF rims for car, the lighter the better. I have a lot of confidence and experience with this technology since my bikes as well all of my rims are made out of CF. Lets get the wheels rolling on these babies, yes this is directed at HRE, I'm anxiously awaiting the ETA for a set. Cheers.....??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts