McLaren Life banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my car back yesterday from the shop after having a bunch of modifications done, including new tires - I CANNOT express this emphatically enough: the stock P-Zero tires that come with the 720s are complete garbage and you need to replace them as soon as possible. I used to be able to break them loose on the highway in 4th gear and felt I was always 1 small mistake away from a wreck.

I swapped them out with larger wheels and Michelin PS4S's, they hook every time and it completely changes the driving experience. If you are staying on the stock rims, you can even go one level up to the Michelin Cup 2 tires, though they don't make them for larger wheels. It's shocking to me that you can improve the driving experience with this car this much for essentially the price of swapping out a single carbon fiber interior panel (e.g., entertainment screen surround, door panels). I recommend everyone on this forum run to your local shop and throw your stock tires in the trash immediately. Or, if you are out of toilet paper, you can keep them in the house for that purpose...

·
Premium Member
2019 720S Coupe Track Pack
285 Posts
I agree - I'm on the stock P-Zeros and they are 'unpredictable'.

Once they are up to temperature they are just about OK. It's what you'd expect from tires they fit on an econobox.

P-Zero 'Corsa' are going to be better than the standard ones, but probably not by much.

You can't ever go wrong with Michelin, IMHO.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just switched my P-Zero's to PS4S and can't be happier! Did a track day on them today and the grip was perfect!

Toyo 888s are great but wear faster, have poor wet traction, and have been tested at only half a second faster then PS4S on the track. PS4S are the better overall tire IMO

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Can't speak to the 720 application, but the same swap on my Aston Martin Vanquish was night and day. The PS4S is better in every way, but still allows me to have some rear out shenangians with my V12.

Reactions: sharpyguy

·
Registered
391 Posts
I swapped to ps4s' recently after using p zero corsas for 2 years. The Michelin tyres have given me more confidence in the rain. However, driving hard in dry conditions, I didn’t notice much difference. Tyres also get up to temperature faster than the corsas. My biggest concern is potential situations where the traction control system might not work as i am used to with the corsas.

I only switched to michelins because my coras had been wearing out every ~5,500 miles and the pirellis are way more expensive. My service advisor told me michelins should last longer as well.

·
Registered
529 Posts
In my opinion the Michelin sport cup 2 is a better choice. I have had all. Including PS4S. The wear is about the same. But the cup2 are better on track. Hold and perform under high temps better. Same price as well, or thereabouts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Similarly I have tried a range of tyres firstly on my 570s TP and now on my 720.

I have 2 sets of wheels so lucky I can have track focussed tyres on one and road on the other.

The best combination is PS4S for road and Trofeo R for track, however Cup2’s are a close 2nd for track.

In any event if you run just 1 set it has to be the PS4S as they are safe and predictable in dry, wet, cold and hot conditions. Cup 2’s great if it’s warm and dry

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Having had my 720S a few months on the 'standard' P-Zeros, I'm now much more confident pushing the car through corners. So it's time for better tires.

I've decided to stick with the standard sizes, and have purchased the following:

Front: 245/35 R19 93Y FSL N0 Pilot Sport Cup 2 (E,C,70dB)
Rear: 305/30 R20 103Y K1 Pilot Sport Cup 2 R (E,E,74dB)

So that's the new Cup 2 R on the rear, Ferrari marking/spec and Porsche marking/spec regular Cup 2s on the front.

I'll let you know how I get on once they are here and fitted up.

If anyone wants my old P-Zeros let me know (4500km previous owner, 1000km with me, no damage probably 50% tread left)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do not track myself but as others have said and done I’ve gone Michelins all the way on my cars. I can definitely feel the difference on any of the twisty backroads I go on. I will be switching out the Pirellis that came with my car when the time comes.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
969 Posts
Having had my 720S a few months on the 'standard' P-Zeros, I'm now much more confident pushing the car through corners. So it's time for better tires.

I've decided to stick with the standard sizes, and have purchased the following:

Front: 245/35 R19 93Y FSL N0 Pilot Sport Cup 2 (E,C,70dB)
Rear: 305/30 R20 103Y K1 Pilot Sport Cup 2 R (E,E,74dB)

So that's the new Cup 2 R on the rear, Ferrari marking/spec and Porsche marking/spec regular Cup 2s on the front.

I'll let you know how I get on once they are here and fitted up.

If anyone wants my old P-Zeros let me know (4500km previous owner, 1000km with me, no damage probably 50% tread left)
I'll be interested to see how you like this. From what I hear the R is way stickier than the standard Cup, and wears almost twice as fast. As far as I can tell, Michelin doesn't make the Cup 2 in OE rear size for the 720S.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Michelin makes both 295 and 305/30/20 in cup2.
I have had both of these on mine. The 295 is actually the same size as the mac pzero corsa 305. Strange i know but mac confirmed all this.

I have now gone up to the 305 and also track and can report all perfect. The 295 looks exactly same size as pzero 305, while the 305 fills out more and looks a lot better in the wheel arch.

Not to mention a hair more grip??

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Good to know there will be no issues with clearance on the rear.

If Michelin had the Cup 2 R for the front 19" I would have gone for it - but for now they don't.

I decided to go for the Cup 2 R on the rear anyway, even though the Cup 2 is available. The more grip on the rear, the better IMHO.

·
2019 Paris Blue 720S
2019 720S
969 Posts
I have had both of these on mine. The 295 is actually the same size as the mac pzero corsa 305. Strange i know but mac confirmed all this.

I have now gone up to the 305 and also track and can report all perfect. The 295 looks exactly same size as pzero 305, while the 305 fills out more and looks a lot better in the wheel arch.

Not to mention a hair more grip??
Ah, I was looking at the Cup 2 Connect...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Has anyone used the whole connect system with the app? Personally I don't see much point as we get temps and pressure through the TPMS already.

Reactions: Bogan69

·
Registered
529 Posts
Has anyone used the whole connect system with the app? Personally I don't see much point as we get temps and pressure through the TPMS already.
Exactly. Info right on the dash. Dont need to mess around with a phone app. Not sure what other possible info could be relayed by connect but doubt any more tha temp and pressure. We have this.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can confirm this as well for the P-Zero Trofeo R MC1 sizes: the 305 is actually closer to 285 than anything else. When I had some 'regular' Trofeo R in 305 they measured about 22mm wider than the MC1 versions.

Although I did get some light rubbing in the wheel arches with the regular 305 Trofeo R. But only in some very high-G slow corners. I've been using 4mm spacers since and have not had any issues anymore. So I would expect the SC2 in 305 size would also work fine.

You usually can't go wrong with Michelin, but I'm first going to give a try to the Nankang AR1 :cool:

Reactions: taw6189

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
So the 305/30 R20 Cup 2 Rs arrived today - I'm waiting for the fronts to come now.

Tread depth new is only 4.8mm.

Total width unmounted is about 330mm.

Width of the tread pattern is roughly 315mm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts