McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Is this normal? When I click the turn signal to make a turn, sometimes it doesnt click back to stop the blinking after the turn. It happens on both left and right sometimes. NOt all the time. Even if I make a full 90degree turn. Could it be that im blinking after ive already have my steering wheel turned abit before blinking? I dont have this problem with other cars ive driven so find myself unblinking quite often.
This is a 2012 coupe.

Also, sometimes the engine doesnt start if I press the start button. And sometimes it would try to start. The engine would start but cut off right away. Even though kep is in hand, pocket or on the parking brake pull.

And sometimes I cant lock the doors unless i get real close. Is the battery going?!?

My wife seem to be able to open the door on her side fine, but im having issues on my side sometimes, unless im not doing it right. I didnt have trouble openning the door at the dealers demo cars, b ut when i swipe my side, it sometimes dont open. Weird.

So far, these are the only lil issues ive been having. Kinda paranoid that id get stuck somewhere.

btw, anyone know how i can lower the exaust note on the car? Its very loud the lil wife so would like to be able to lower the sound when my wife is with me.
thx,
lc

·
Registered
11,177 Posts
Hi,
Is this normal? When I click the turn signal to make a turn, sometimes it doesnt click back to stop the blinking after the turn. It happens on both left and right sometimes. NOt all the time. Even if I make a full 90degree turn. Could it be that im blinking after ive already have my steering wheel turned abit before blinking? I dont have this problem with other cars ive driven so find myself unblinking quite often.
This is a 2012 coupe.

Also, sometimes the engine doesnt start if I press the start button. And sometimes it would try to start. The engine would start but cut off right away. Even though kep is in hand, pocket or on the parking brake pull.

And sometimes I cant lock the doors unless i get real close. Is the battery going?!?

My wife seem to be able to open the door on her side fine, but im having issues on my side sometimes, unless im not doing it right. I didnt have trouble openning the door at the dealers demo cars, b ut when i swipe my side, it sometimes dont open. Weird.

So far, these are the only lil issues ive been having. Kinda paranoid that id get stuck somewhere.

btw, anyone know how i can lower the exaust note on the car? Its very loud the lil wife so would like to be able to lower the sound when my wife is with me.
thx,
lc
The indicators do often stick so nothing new there.As for starting it depends which ignition cycle you are in.Usually if the car has been shut down keep your foot off the brake and cycle the electrics so the tacho swings round,then put your foot on the brake and press the button firmly keeping it held until the engine fires up.
The sound generator (isg) that puts intake noise into the car can be completely turned off in each mode ( n,t,s) via the menu,so if you want it quiet in normal and sport,but loud for you in track then its easy to do.
As for the doors its just practice,but you can just use the fob if its taking its time.
If you cannot find the isg on the menu then the car will not have the current platform,but I think you said it did!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey Calvin, I've had my directional switch replaced twice because of the same issue - it didn't always cancel after turning. The switch I have now is apparently a 2nd generation part which solves the problem. Philly McL should swap it out for you under warranty.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys. Yes, they said the car had 2013 updates. I just have to know where to find it. Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how to I get to it thru the menu? I don't recall seeing it.
Lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Btw, how's the panel fitting on your cars? My front quarter right panel where it meets the door seems alittle mis-aligned. Can this be adjusted by the dealer and is this normal?

Lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Calvin, no sticking on mine. I'd take it to the dealer. Also, usually when they/dealers mention the updates, they mean software. So you may not have the hardware updates like turn signals, horn update, etc. so check, ask for that.

As for swipe, odds are you need practice. See if your wife can do it ok on your side too. If so, then you need more skin contact in the flat underside towards the edge of the door.

Good luck!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I find that a slow, steady swipe, with all four fingers flat and in contact with the door works every time. Love the swipe. Incredibly cool, more aerodynamic and less obtrusive than the button, and a theft deterrent all in one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horn updates John?!? What horn updates. Can we build a list of software and hardware updates that may be needed on this forum as a sticky? Or is there one already? That would be very VERY helpful for new owners. I dont mind compiling the list if I knew what the issues were and what the fixes are.
lc

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find that a slow, steady swipe, with all four fingers flat and in contact with the door works every time. Love the swipe. Incredibly cool, more aerodynamic and less obtrusive than the button, and a theft deterrent all in one.
Yes, i do love the swipe. I was first concern about it (due to wifes wedding band...etc) and marks or scratches on the car, but it does look very sleek without the button.

btw, love your vanity plates. Did you get that before you got your car?
lc

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks, I actually ordered them when I ordered the car in spring of 2011, about 8 months before the first US deliveries. I had them on my Lotus until the 12c was delivered in Feb 12. Got some interesting comments like, "Hey dude, that's not a McLaren".

I had the horn issue also, would only work intermittantly. Bad contacts or something behind the airbag. Again, if you are having the symptoms, Philly McL will take care of it with a smile. Matt Gramling the service manager is absolutely top notch.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thx guys. Yes, they said the car had 2013 updates. I just have to know where to find it. Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but how to I get to it thru the menu? I don't recall seeing it.
Lc
Unfortunately the took out the version number screen out. Now when the do an update the dealer will give you an invoice showing the rev number update. That's correct at least as ov version 10.2 and later. Version 12 is the most current version of the original iris.

Not sure if the above version screen holds for the new iris in the 2o14s.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately the took out the version number screen out. Now when the do an update the dealer will give you an invoice showing the rev number update. That's correct at least as ov version 10.2 and later. Version 12 is the most current version of the original iris.

Not sure if the above version screen holds for the new iris in the 2o14s.
Got this with the car. It says it has all the updates. But you are prob right, not all hardware updates. Only as needed. Ill bring her in soon after afew more drives to see what else if any have some issues.

lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Horn updates John?!? What horn updates. Can we build a list of software and hardware updates that may be needed on this forum as a sticky? Or is there one already? That would be very VERY helpful for new owners. I dont mind compiling the list if I knew what the issues were and what the fixes are.
lc
I think that's a great idea. Bump.

So as far as I know there are:

Software updates (hp and infotainment are usually done al, at once)

And the horn assembly.

Right now those are the only two I'm aware if, and the dealer will do all of the above at your regular service intervals.

What would be great to get going is a version log of software updates. I kind of did so for versions 10.2, 10.6 and 12 in a recent post. But there have been many other versions.

I think knowing the good/bad duffs of each version would be valuable so folks can know what versions to avoid and what versions to try. For example, I thin 10.6 was a really bad version to have and 10.2 generally was better.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Btw, how's the panel fitting on your cars? My front quarter right panel where it meets the door seems alittle mis-aligned. Can this be adjusted by the dealer and is this normal?

Lc
I don't think so. I think if you ask the dealer, they'll adjust it. Hey, do you use Philly Mac?

How about a drive up there on Saturday? I've got a few things to ask them about too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thx Jim,
haha, i can imagine the look on the guys face, "Hey, thats not a mac!"
I figured you got that before u got your car. I tried to look for some vanity plates as well. I settled on one that was kinda funny. I really didnt want too much attention from the law like "2fast", see you...etc.
I will stay low key.
lc

·
Registered
323 Posts
Calvin, what's the last four digits of your VIN? I think that some of the original issues like the horn were already sorted with the higher VIN MY12s. Mine is 0543

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
John,
I didnt get a receipt of the software version. I would hope they included the latest ones.
Ill have to get my blinkers, front right corner panel, start button, battery for the key fob and maybe door swipe looked at.
I didnt have issues with iris much. reception still not very good, but everything else seems to work fine, except streaming from iphone.
lc

·
Registered
323 Posts
thx Jim,
haha, i can imagine the look on the guys face, "Hey, thats not a mac!"
I figured you got that before u got your car. I tried to look for some vanity plates as well. I settled on one that was kinda funny. I really didnt want too much attention from the law like "2fast", see you...etc.
I will stay low key.
lc
I like it because the sequence of letters and numbers in MP4-12C is almost identical to the default for NJ plates anyway, so it does make it a little less obvious. Interestingly, I could not get 12C, mine is actually letter "I" 2C. DMV told me that MP4-12C was in a reserved range.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Jim, its around 1200. Is that considered earlier models or mid cycle?
lc

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Mine was around 1600 and the horn was not sorted. So at least some high vins still had the issue.

Also the new horn gives you a better logo. The original logo was flat and painted on. The new logo is more of a button/emblem affair.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts