McLaren Life banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get one of these messages before? Was really hoping it would go away on its own but hasn't.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Just move the steering wheel forward and up, like it says. Happens occasionally when you let the battery run down, disconnect the battery, or clear all codes with MDS. Use the steering adjustment stalk. Should NOT need a dealer visit. I did mine a couple weeks ago when I had my codes cleared on all control units. Also did it before when I disconnected my battery for a while when I was working on something.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
I've tried adjusting it with the knob and manually trying to move it. Neither works.
You definitely can't manually move it - has to be done electronically. You did it while the engine was running? Do your seat controls still work? It's rare that the steering control joystick doesn't work, if it doesn't, then something else must be broken. The warning message is there because it needs to calibrate, which it does when you move it - but if it doesn't move, then something else is wrong. Maybe one of the controllers (e.g. my seat control unit failed about 8 months ago and my drivers seat wouldn't move any more, and comfort access stopped working too - a quick replacement at the dealer). I believe the steering control may be part of that same drivers seat control module since I don't see a separate fuse for it.

Thanks!

Z.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've tried adjusting it with the knob and manually trying to move it. Neither works.
You most likely need the dealer to reset it. Thats exactly what happened to mine. It would not move, but it was not broken. There is no way for us to reset it that I am aware of, or that the dealer made me aware of. My car went in for something else, and while it was there had them reset it but we spoke about it directly. Not sure why people are so quick to X out someone elses answers like they know it all about these cars when the techs barely know everything. People experience all types of issues with the same error messages. Some more severe than others.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
You most likely need the dealer to reset it. Thats exactly what happened to mine. It would not move, but it was not broken. There is no way for us to reset it that I am aware of, or that the dealer made me aware of. My car went in for something else, and while it was there had them reset it but we spoke about it directly. Not sure why people are so quick to X out someone elses answers like they know it all about these cars when the techs barely know everything. People experience all types of issues with the same error messages. Some more severe than others.
Because this error message specifically tells you to move it, and I (and others) have frequently experienced it as a normal error when certain events happen (code clearing, battery dead, which happen frequently). The OP did not mention trying the stalk at all, and didn't mention that the control stalk didn't work - all he said was "I hoped it would go away on it's own, but it didn't" - so we told him the answer that in 95% of situations would fix it. As soon as he said the stalk didn't work, I said that will likely need the dealer and asked him for details about other things not working in an effort to see if there was a related issue.

Not all issues need a visit to the dealer either - hence why people ask on the forum. If everyone just said "go to the dealer", this forum would be pretty useless.

Thanks,

Z.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep, I had that error message once. As others have said just move the steering with the stalk and it goes away.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey update. So I tried the stalk again this morning and it worked for going up only which fixed the problem. Prior to this try, moving it in any direction didn't work.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Hey update. So I tried the stalk again this morning and it worked for going up only which fixed the problem. Prior to this try, moving it in any direction didn't work.
Glad it worked ;) After the message clearing, does it now work in all directions? It might not have worked "forward" because it was already at the forward limit, and thus just needed to go up.

Thanks!

Z.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts