McLaren Life banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally switching to Girodisc brakes square
with Pagid front pads U20346 rear U 20345
Have been using Pagid pads for 5 years on OEM steel rotors. The Pagids have been wierd /grabby on the street but sweet on the track
so I put up with the grabbyness
OEM crossed drilled rotors look cool but not good for track use as they crack from each drilled hole outward due to heat and can eventually become unsafe
Girodiscs are at least 4 pounds lighter than stock per rotor, are slotted , and claim to be cooler
Got them from Paragon Products 361 289-8834 (no affiliation) who are an established Porsche parts supplier that sells lots of racecar spares
like the Pagid race pads used on my Porsche Cup racecar
Girodisc setup with pads affordable at under $3,000 plus you can just change the rings when they wear down for under $400 each
No wonder the 720 track guys that run on heavy braking tracks like Laguna are converting

·
Premium Member
2012, McLaren MP4-12C
555 Posts
Finally switching to Girodisc brakes square
with Pagid front pads U20346 rear U 20345
Have been using Pagid pads for 5 years on OEM steel rotors. The Pagids have been wierd /grabby on the street but sweet on the track
so I put up with the grabbyness
OEM crossed drilled rotors look cool but not good for track use as they crack from each drilled hole outward due to heat and can eventually become unsafe
Girodiscs are at least 4 pounds lighter than stock per rotor, are slotted , and claim to be cooler
Got them from Paragon Products 361 289-8834 (no affiliation) who are an established Porsche parts supplier that sells lots of racecar spares
like the Pagid race pads used on my Porsche Cup racecar
Girodisc setup with pads affordable at under $3,000 plus you can just change the rings when they wear down for under $400 each
No wonder the 720 track guys that run on heavy braking tracks like Laguna are converting

Was $3,000 the price for all 4 Rotors and 2 sets of Pads (front and rear)?

Do they have an aftermarket pad for the parking brake as well? I'm about to need those as well.

Thanks for share this great info!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Do they have an aftermarket pad for the parking brake as well? I'm about to need those as well.

Yes Under $3,000 for whole enchilada ...rotors and pads
These particular Pagid pads are the enduro compound RS29 used in the McLaren GT4
They are the best selling model pads for this application according to Paragon
They cost more than the sprint racing models
They are a pad that is streetable as I mentioned as I have used them for years putting up with their minor grabbyness just when you are coming to a stop at speeds under 10 miles per hour

·
Registered
232 Posts
I call drilled rotors “precracked”

A lot of the fun of tracking a car is wearing out the brakes like there is no tomorrow.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Read this thread==>Inexpensive eBrake pad solution

I did the research and found they are the same as Audi R8, Ford GT and others. That thread has part numbers for Centric. $50 for a set of OE compound and $15 for Centric's own metallic compound.

Oh, and +1 on Girodisc rotors and Pagid RS29 (yellow). Best streetable track setup for 12C. And the rotors are rebuildable with fresh rings, so the $3K initial price is halved when you wear those out.

PS: IMA2NR...Feel free to put this info in the "parts interchange thread" so more people will see it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I call drilled rotors “precracked”

A lot of the fun of tracking a car is wearing out the brakes like there is no tomorrow.
If you do a 2 day event with OEM pads on 720s then there will be no tomorrow after the first day -:)

·
Premium Member
2012, McLaren MP4-12C
555 Posts
Read this thread==>Inexpensive eBrake pad solution

I did the research and found they are the same as Audi R8, Ford GT and others. That thread has part numbers for Centric. $50 for a set of OE compound and $15 for Centric's own metallic compound.

Oh, and +1 on Girodisc rotors and Pagid RS29 (yellow). Best streetable track setup for 12C. And the rotors are rebuildable with fresh rings, so the $3K initial price is halved when you wear those out.

PS: IMA2NR...Feel free to put this info in the "parts interchange thread" so more people will see it.

Thanks AWH! - A set of 10.00 parking brake pads sounds awesome!

Here is the link AGAIN (be sure to scroll to the top of the thread and read the 1st post!)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The same outfit Paragon Products can get E Brake pads from Pagid Brembo and other sources
Am not aware that E Brake pad wear is a problem but know they can be toasted after a track session
Always find newbies at track days that do not know the procedure to NOT activate the auto E Brakes after a track session
or why it is important

1 - 8 of 8 Posts