McLaren Life banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who's got the stealth badging on their cars: is it real carbon or just carbon lookalike? From the pictures online, it looked pretty real but I just saw one in person and front badge definitely looked fake to me. Can anyone shed a light on this? :confused:

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'm picking it up today, although I had a last minute change. I'm swapping out the tires and centre's to Corsa and CF. They are currently video taping the car as we speak then it will be detailed. So fingers crossed some time this afternoon weather permitting. Cheers....??
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017863.792715.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017902.189156.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017919.604270.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017953.527751.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017746.219477.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017766.168479.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017788.460947.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370017822.127829.jpg

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got stealth badges as well, but I still think they are not real carbon inlays.

If you look at the material used on the badge/wheel cap, it's not the same type as on the tuning vanes, side view mirrors or the interior pieces. Plus, you could bend the front badge carbon area, which tells me it's not real carbon.

I don't know about the steering wheel stealth badge, as I don't have that on my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had these installed on my putt-putt recently. Cheers....??
Oh my, I love those... do you mind sharing the cost + installation procedure? PM is fine of course if you'd like to keep such things private. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Oh my, I love those... do you mind sharing the cost + installation procedure? PM is fine of course if you'd like to keep such things private. Thank you!
I haven't received the bill yet that should occur on Monday, I can enquire for you MP4GASM but being Canadian eh, it will be more money. Yes we Canadians love to take it up the old wazoo, I know smaller market, tariffs, duties, exchange and a large land mass to contend with. Don't get me wrong I love it up here, we are extremely open minded, to that end we have a Mayor that supposedly smokes crack (that's a crock) LMFAO??. Cheers....??

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'll be at Pfaff on Tues. If your car still hasn't left, I swear I'm gonna steal it and joy ride it across the 407. Somebody's gotta drive it! :p :)

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
I just got stealth badges as well, but I still think they are not real carbon inlays.

If you look at the material used on the badge/wheel cap, it's not the same type as on the tuning vanes, side view mirrors or the interior pieces. Plus, you could bend the front badge carbon area, which tells me it's not real carbon.

I don't know about the steering wheel stealth badge, as I don't have that on my car.
I would expect them to be real carbon, it would be a different weave to the vains, but looking at the picture I'm not quite sure, maybe just the lighting

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I'll be at Pfaff on Tues. If your car still hasn't left, I swear I'm gonna steal it and joy ride it across the 407. Somebody's gotta drive it! :p :)
While your at it 6th, may I suggest that you try getting it over that 346kmh on the 407 without getting caught by the OPP, that's if my car is still there.

Procrastination / indecisiveness is the only reason for the delays, and now I owe Marino aka MPB an espresso coffee due to a friendly wager. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I would expect them to be real carbon, it would be a different weave to the vains, but looking at the picture I'm not quite sure, maybe just the lighting
All I can say is they sure look nice though, as well it's highly unlikely they would produce something that is made of fake CF. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
While your at it 6th, may I suggest that you try getting it over that 346kmh on the 407 without getting caught by the OPP, that's if my car is still there.

Procrastination / indecisiveness is the only reason for the delays, and now I owe Marino aka MPB an espresso coffee due to a friendly wager. Cheers.....����
No worries. Like I said, at least the car finally made it outdoors today so I can let our wager slide for now.:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can say is they sure look nice though, as well it's highly unlikely they would produce something that is made of fake CF. Cheers.....??
Alright, confirmed with my mclaren tech and the stealth badges are carbon lookalike, not real carbon :mad:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Alright, confirmed with my mclaren tech and the stealth badges are carbon lookalike, not real carbon :mad:
Oh well what can I say unotaz, I'm still not totally convinced of that, you can call me a foul it's just a feeling that I have. I must admit I still love the way they look in person as well as on the car. Cheers....??

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh well what can I say unotaz, I'm still not totally convinced of that, you can call me a foul it's just a feeling that I have. I must admit I still love the way they look in person as well as on the car. Cheers....����
I agree with you, I think the stealth badges looks 100 times better than the regular ones. :D

I guess it makes sense when you factor in the price on these things. $40 for each of the wheel cap, common sense would tell us that it can't be real carbon. My old Ferrari's real carbon wheel cap costs over 3 times that! The Ferrari Scuderia shield costs over $1200 each (and yes, it's real carbon).

·
McLaren Fanatic
3,071 Posts
Quite surprised to read that - I will definitely be giving them a closer look next time I get the chance.

Shame on them if that's truly the case. :(

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quite surprised to read that - I will definitely be giving them a closer look next time I get the chance.

Shame on them if that's truly the case. :(

>8^)
ER
I guess the only way to know for sure is to take one and to cut into it with an exacto knife, it won't be me though. I'm completely content in not knowing and just saying that it is, if Mac calls it CF I'm going to take their word for. Cheers.....??

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Unfortunately they do look different, I know for sure that mine are legit I can't really qualify your situation. Just a heads up, initially I was planing on outsourcing the job to reduce the overall cost. That didn't happen for a couple of reasons screwing around with the airbag and its cover, then they were going to use a decal no thanks. I'd ask the dealer where you bought your car from, maybe Woking has several designs or they just changed it all together. Cheers.....??

1 - 20 of 49 Posts